Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittany17 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Going tanning for first time
    Hi.. I could use some advice on using tanning beds. Any tips would be useful

Thanxs
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
    What exactly are you wanting to know? You lay down in them, they tan you. Doesn't mean you can't get burned, age or get skin cancer.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Please be careful! My father was a mailman for 37 years walking his "beat." Complications from skin cancer went to other parts of his body and he died from it. I have marks on my skin that could grow into cancer. When I was younger, I wanted a tan just like some of my friends. Now, I am seeing the results of my wanting a tan.

Tanning beds utilize ultraviolet radiation. Exposure to excessive amounts of UV radiation has been proven to cause skin cancer.

I and all other members of my immediate family have fair/light skin coloration. We avoid the sun. Our skin does not have much to protect us from it. When we do have to be in the sun, we wear ample protection such as clothing and lotions with UV protection.

Dark-skinned people have much more tolerance to the sun. I don't know if you have light or dark colored skin. But, if you have light colored skin, I would advise you to be very careful in how much exposure to UV radiation your skin gets.

I am not trying to scare you into thinking that you cannot have a tan, only to give you an admonition that you need to consider the costs and benefits of doing so. And, I don't mean costs in terms of a monetary value.

Skin that has had less exposure to UV radiation will look younger longer. Think of the parts of our bodies that are normally not exposed to the elements or the sun and how good they look even after many decades.

If you are dark-skinned already, you may be just fine having a few tanning sessions at an indoor solon per year.

Scientists and medical professionals warn us that there will be more instances of skin cancer now and in the future because of the depletion of the ozone layer that protects us from some of the sun's radiation.

You might want to consider looking at the following links to educate yourself a little more on the subject:

The Skin Cancer Foundation - The Case Against Indoor Tanning

Tanning Beds and Skin Cancer

Tanning Beds Lead to Skin Cancer, Premature Aging of Skin?

All Tanning Beds » Skin cancer caused by tanning beds

The Darker Side of Tanning

Indoor Tanning
    sexiibabii Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
    I prefer the stand up taning booths
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Don't get me wrong-I looooooooooove being tan-but I am 31 years old and all that tanning at the beach and tanning beds is already starting to show. I am fair to medium skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, and already have sunspots on my legs and face. I strongly recommend using self tanning lotions, sprays, or the spray on tans.
    MeowScha Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Two different kinds of beds... stand up or lay down. It is much easier to relax while laying down. The salon you tan at should recommend how long to start tanning for and each week afterwards... there should also be charts in the room or on the bed with recommended exposure times. If you go in a basic lay down bed, rotate your body every few minutes to one direction or another to avoid white vertical lines from the spaces between the bulbs. Better quality beds are ones you don't need to move in but always ask. Please use lotion for indoor tanning, Walmart stuff or Salon stuff works just as well. You should still put on sunscreen or sunblock when outdoors so you don't get tan lines! (Or cancer eventually) A good tanning salon will give you a tour and all the information you need in order to tan... don't be afraid to ask!
    surferbabe715 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Get a spray tan it works faster and is a lot safer!
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 20, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I urge you to call a dermatologist or other professional before using a tanning bed. I know of at least one 18 yr old battling skin cancer. Learn all you can first, read the statistics, then decide.
    uvtalk Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Oct 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Please be careful! My father was a mailman for 37 years walking his "beat." Complications from skin cancer went to other parts of his body and he died from it. I have marks on my skin that could grow into cancer. When I was younger, I wanted a tan just like some of my friends. Now, I am seeing the results of my wanting a tan.

Tanning beds utilize ultraviolet radiation. Exposure to excessive amounts of UV radiation has been proven to cause skin cancer.

I and all other members of my immediate family have fair/light skin coloration. We avoid the sun. Our skin does not have much to protect us from it. When we do have to be in the sun, we wear ample protection such as clothing and lotions with UV protection.

Dark-skinned people have much more tolerance to the sun. I don't know if you have light or dark colored skin. But, if you have light colored skin, I would advise you to be very careful in how much exposure to UV radiation your skin gets.

I am not trying to scare you into thinking that you cannot have a tan, only to give you an admonition that you need to consider the costs and benefits of doing so. And, I don't mean costs in terms of a monetary value.

Skin that has had less exposure to UV radiation will look younger longer. Think of the parts of our bodies that are normally not exposed to the elements or the sun and how good they look even after many decades.

If you are dark-skinned already, you may be just fine having a few tanning sessions at an indoor solon per year.

Scientists and medical professionals warn us that there will be more instances of skin cancer now and in the future because of the depletion of the ozone layer that protects us from some of the sun's radiation.

You might want to consider looking at the following links to educate yourself a little more on the subject:

The Skin Cancer Foundation - The Case Against Indoor Tanning

Tanning Beds and Skin Cancer

Tanning Beds Lead to Skin Cancer, Premature Aging of Skin?

All Tanning Beds » Skin cancer caused by tanning beds

The Darker Side of Tanning

Indoor Tanning

All interesting information in the above links and of course on sided. However, for the positives and medical facts regarding uv exposure and Vitamin D, you might wish to consult sites such as www.uvtalk.com , The Truth About Tanning or Indoor Tanning Facts

The Risks of moderate tanning outweigh the risks of not getting enough uv exposure.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by uvtalk
    All interesting information in the above links and of course on sided. However, for the positives and medical facts regarding uv exposure and Vitamin D, you might wish to consult sites such as www.uvtalk.com , The Truth About Tanning or Indoor Tanning Facts

The Risks of moderate tanning outweigh the risks of not getting enough uv exposure.
    And likewise, the sites you mention are also one-sided. There is no doubt that some exposure to the sun is necessary to maintain health. There also is no doubt that the amount of harmful radiation from the sun has been accelerated in recent decades due to the depletion of protective layers of our atmosphere. It is a balancing act as far as how one must decide on the appropriate amount of exposure to the sun that one should receive based upon research.

Oct 8, 2007, 09:44 AM
    The sites I mention are dedicated to exposing the truth and necessity of moderate UV exposure for health.

Someone has to stand up to the Sunscare Coalition...
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Oct 8, 2007, 01:57 PM
    True, but this girl isn't worried about not getting enough sun. She's wants to be tan. This is a totally different situation. Tanning beds can be deadly, and someone needs to tell her.

Oct 8, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    Tanning beds can be deadly, and someone needs to tell her.
    What are you basing this statement on please?

Oct 8, 2007, 04:42 PM
    My grandfather who died of skin cancer, my two aunts that died of skin cancer from using tanning beds, and my sister who is recovering from skin cancer from using tanning beds. Is death enough evidence for you?

Oct 8, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    My grandfather who died of skin cancer, my two aunts that died of skin cancer from using tanning beds, and my sister who is recovering from skin cancer from using tanning beds. Is death enough evidence for you?
    I'm sorry to hear of these deaths however, where is the proof that tanning beds caused the skin cancer?

Oct 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Very good read: Tanning Protects Against Skin Cancer

Oct 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Are you crazy?? I don't know where you're pulling this information out of but yes, tanning beds are a huge reason for our increasing number of skin cancer diagnoses. Have you been in a coma for the past 20 years? Tanning beds are extremely dangerous and kill cells in your body. I would know, I have gone through enough trauma with friends and family getting cancer from tanning beds. You're the first person I've ever heard that actually defends them, but here's a few facts you can think about when you're in a hospital bed with skin grafts on your body from where they removed the melanoma.
    Many beds contain UVB rays and UVA rays, which penetrate deep into your skin, killing skin cells and more than doubling your risk! When you constantly are ruining your skin cells, melanoma can form, the worst type of skin cancer. I wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't lived through this as well. Luckily, I'm young enough to prevent this now, when I was a teenager I went in tanning beds and had a cancerous mole removed. So when you ask for proof, this is not textbook information that can be debatable. You would feel very passionate about something if you've lost friends and family, and seen dozens go through skin cancer. This is why I urge Brittany17 to stay away from tanning beds. I'm only trying to keep her and her family from something that no one should have to go through. I urge all to get a healthy amount of sunlight for the vitamin D benefits and overall health, but do not bake like a piece of leather in tanning beds or in the sun. It's not worth your life.

Oct 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    I get my facts from medical reports. Where are your "facts" above from please?

UVtalk - Search Results

Guardian of the genome protein found to underlie skin tanning - 2007 Press Releases - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Oct 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
    How much do I have to explain to you? I get my facts from medical reports as well. The medical report of my dead best friend from kindergarten, my dead aunt who practically raised me, my dead boyfriend who thought being tan would help his career. You may have textbook information, but that obvioulsy hasn't taught you enough. Like I said, you'd think differently if you lost loved ones to skin cancer.

Oct 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Again I am sorry for the death in you family etc. but I merely asked where the proof was that these deaths were caused by tanning beds?

I'm not here to argue but merely point out that the public is and has been mislead regarding uv exposure whether it is from the sun or artificial means.

Sunlight Robbery - UVtalk
    Lack of Sunshine Causes One Million Deaths a Year - UVtalk
    UV Advantage | Dr. Hollick > Home
    SUNARC - Sunlight, Nutrition And Heath Research Center - Solar Power!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tanning without freckles? [ 19 Answers ]

I have pale skin and a lot of freckles! In the summer, my freckles really come out and cover my WHOLE face. I am going to be in a wedding soon wearing a strapless dress. All the other bridesmaids are so tan, so I'm going to start tanning soon so I have lots of color for the June wedding. ...

Tanning [ 2 Answers ]

OK... last few years I've spent each day of my summer either in class (college) or at work... so basically I'm pretty pale/white. I've recently joined a new gym and noticed they have those tanning machines, I've never used them, or actually "tanned" (purposely). Should I use that tanning machine,...

Vitiligo and tanning [ 7 Answers ]

I have Vitiligo on about 40% of my body (for those of you who don't know, it means that those areas are without pigmentation). I would like to walk around with a nice, deep tan (I live in Florida). Could you recommend any skin stains and such that I could use, which would last a long time? ...

Tanning beds? [ 2 Answers ]

My buddies and I want to go and tan in tanning beds but we're not sure how much I would be and we don't really want to be that dark just not as white as whiteout so does any one no were to go and how much it would be? :eek:

View more questions Search