Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zziis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 02:04 PM
    How do I stop being so paranoid about my boyfriend's safety?
    My boyfriend is gone for camp for a 8 days. This camp has a strict "no cellphones allowed" rule, so my boyfriend cannot contact me at all until it is finished. The camp is very outdoor-oriented although they have a lot of safety measures, I still feel pretty paranoid. It has been 4 days since he's been in camp, and I each day I get more and more worried. It's to the point where I find myself crumbling into tears, and I can't get on with my life. It's almost as if I have mentally accepted that I've lost him.

I know this part will make me sound a little creepy, but I constantly check whether his brother is active on Facebook, because in my mind, if something did happen, his brother wouldn't be on Facebook. I also check the camp's official page to make sure no one is hurt. I do this almost compulsively every hour or so.

I seriously need help. For God's sake, it's one freaking week! I've never felt so helpless and angry with myself before and I don't know how to deal with it. How do I stop these thoughts?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
    Having something to do to occupy your time would help. How old are you both?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2013, 02:30 PM
    How old is your boyfriend and what type of camp is it? What are the most probable threats to his safety?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
    Are you really worried about what might happen to him or is this the longest you have gone without contact? If he were safe inside a hotel room watching TV, but not able to communicate with you, would you have the same reaction?

Many times our brains will focus on a detail to keep us from thinking about a different issue. While part of you is concerned about his safety it may not be as big as the part that is longing to communicate with him wants you to think it is.

You need to get your mind occupied and off 'what ifs'. Stop checking Facebook. Give yourself distractions. Go out with your friends. Take this time to do something you normally don't when he is around, but you enjoy.

Aug 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Having something to do to occupy your time would help. How old are you both?
    We are both in our early twenties

Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    How old is your boyfriend and what type of camp is it? What are the most probable threats to his safety?
    He's in a program called outward bound, situated in Hong Kong, what made new nervous was the fact that a pretty severe typhoon just came by, it's gone today, but I'm still pretty worried
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
    It sounds like a program designed to help him. I am sure that they will do their best to keep him safe and with the typhoon gone, Im sure he will call when he can. It may be that he can't yet. Give it a little more time.
    Is there a contact you can reach? At the corporate level? Maybe contact the local police in hong kong, that can let you know if he is on the list of injured or dead?

Aug 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Are you really worried about what might happen to him or is this the longest you have gone without contact? If he were safe inside a hotel room watching tv, but not able to communicate with you, would you have the same reaction?

Many times our brains will focus on a detail to keep us from thinking about a different issue. While part of you is concerned about his safety it may not be as big as the part that is longing to communicate with him wants you to think it is.

You need to get your mind occupied and off of 'what ifs'. Stop checking Facebook. Give yourself distractions. Go out with your friends. Take this time to do something you normally don't when he is around, but you enjoy.
    It's true, this is the longest I have gone without contact. You've really given me some well-needed perspective. Thank you!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
    As an old person, I am in constant puzzlement about the amount of phone contact young people feel compelled to have. I see the texting and hear the calls everywhere I go, and there does seem to be an obsessive element. Where are you now, what are you doing now, I'm turning the corner, very boring stuff.
    My suggestion is to consider this a test, very similar to Outward Bound. It will strengthen you, as he is being strengthened. And think back to when your grandparents (my age) were 20 - we had very little opportunity to get to a phone. Think back to the times when the men went off to war or to seek their fortune or to hunt, and didn't come back for YEARS!
    I hope that is some consolation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 08:06 AM
    First Hong Kong is OK, I will be there Saturday,

This is a sign of what could be a serious issues, first you need to have a life, outside of him, where are your friends, why are you not doing things to keep busy.

Why are you not chatting with his brother, if you are worried, just talk to the brother.

Next if you are his girlfriend, the family would call you if something happened.

Next the program is very safe, heat exhaustion is about the worst thing this time of year. And sun burn, but they keep a close eye on that.

Aug 15, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    As an old person, I am in constant puzzlement about the amount of phone contact young people feel compelled to have. I see the texting and hear the calls everywhere I go, and there does seem to be an obsessive element. Where are you now, what are you doing now, I'm turning the corner, very boring stuff.
    My suggestion is to consider this a test, very similar to Outward Bound. It will strengthen you, as he is being strengthened. And think back to when your grandparents (my age) were 20 - we had very little opportunity to get to a phone. Think back to the times when the men went off to war or to seek their fortune or to hunt, and didn't come back for YEARS!
    I hope that is some consolation.
    You're quite right. I've been spoiled by technology. Thanks, I will keep what you said in mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Untrustworthy boyfriend or paranoid? [ 0 Answers ]

I know he lies cause he lies in front of me to our friends and family and we have been togther well over a year so I have picked up on his trates and I have caught him lying to me but he said he didn't want me to panic or get angry but I'm sick of that as an excuse from partners if u know it will...

My boyfriend is talking to his ex (again). I'm paranoid. [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has cheated on me with his ex girlfriend before, I forgave and took him back. 4 months later they start talking and as day's go by they keep getting closer and closer, I confronted him about it and say's that's his business and I shouldn't worry about it. Every time he gets a call, or...

Am I being paranoid? I'm suspicious of my boyfriend's ex. [ 36 Answers ]

My boyfriend ran into one of his ex-girlfriends a while back. The story is, they dated for about a year. He moved to Hawaii for a job and she was supposed to quit her job and go with him, but instead she found another boyfriend at work and didn't move. Two years have passed and they ran into...

Is my boyfriend gay or am I being paranoid? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I have been with my boyfriend for just over a year and I love him so much we do have a great time together, however until I met him at age 18 (he is 18 also) he had never taken part in any physical activity including masturbation as he had a very sheltered childhood. Things such as hand jobs and...

View more questions Search