Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keeks143 Posts: 149, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Biting my nails constantly!
    I keep biting my nails. I know it's a disgusting habit but the thing is now it is a habit I can't seem to stop.
    Any tips to help stop or stop?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Mindfully substitute biting for something positive -- writing or typing or baking cookies or drawing or whatever works for you. There are nasty-tasting liquids you can apply (like moms do for little kids who suck their thumb). You can get your nails done (or do them yourself) regularly -- first with fake glue-ons and then, as your own nails grow, add flowers or some design on the nails when they are polished. My husband was a nail biter for years, but now keeps them neatly filed and trimmed so there are no edges sticking up that he feels he needs to chew on.

It's a very conscious thing to do, to be always aware of not putting those fingers up to your mouth and biting the nails.

Aug 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Mindfully substitute biting for something positive -- writing or typing or baking cookies or drawing or whatever works for you. There are nasty-tasting liquids you can apply (like moms do for little kids who suck their thumb). You can get your nails done (or do them yourself) regularly -- first with fake glue-ons and then, as your own nails grow, add flowers or some design on the nails when they are polished. My husband was a nail biter for years, but now keeps them neatly filed and trimmed so there are no edges sticking up that he feels he needs to chew on.

It's a very conscious thing to do, to be always aware of not putting those fingers up to your mouth and biting the nails.
    Thanks! Very helpful. I can't give you reputation because I've given it to you too many times! (good thing)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 12:53 PM
    I want you to think of me every time you start to chew on and bite your nails, Okay?

What will I be whispering in your ear?

Aug 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I want you to think of me every time you start to chew on and bite your nails, Okay?

What will I be whispering in your ear?
    hahahaha I will! You'll be whispering: 'wondergil say don't chew x3'
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keeks143 View Post
    hahahaha i will! you'll be whispering: 'wondergil say don't chew x3'
    Let me whisper for a week and then report back. I want to know how you are doing and if your nails are growing!

Aug 14, 2013, 01:46 PM
    I sure will. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I stop biting my nails? [ 0 Answers ]

I've been biting my nails for several years now and many of the methods I've tried to stop don't work. I've tried using special nail polish, chewing gum, getting weekly manicures, wearing gloves all the time, and using sheer will power, but still, I bite. I really really want to quit the habit, but...

Dog biting nails [ 5 Answers ]

My daschund bits his toenails all the time - what can I do to stop it?

Have been biting my nails for over a decade. Now it's time to stop. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been biting my nails since I was a young child. I never was a "bad" biter. Most people would look at my nails and say "they're a little shorter than usual, but they're not grotestque". Regardless, I'd like to cease this habit. What do you suggest I do?

Biting & Clipping Nails [ 2 Answers ]

Our 5 month old Australian Cattledog won't stop biting. She play bites, bites your hands when you are trying to pet her, tries to bite you while you are tying to disapline, and bites when she is flipped over when you are tying to clip her nails. Any suggestions to make this stop? We have tried...

View more questions Search