Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bardhlipa Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 03:01 PM
    I cannot understund some short sentences, help please!
    I'm an Albanian and I cannot understand some sentences, so please if u can write them in a different simpler way !

1. Does not merely transcend human thought but invalidates it.

2. And yer this people has contributed a spectacularly disproportionate share of western civilization’s heritage

3. Because to think you know its bound to be a wild goose chase.

4. How much more these two extraordinary ideas? If he did meet these two people, however, or even disciples of either man who had caught enough of the spirit of their master to rub off a little bit, what would Socrates thing then?

Sincerely, Bardhi
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
    Are these from one book or several books?

Aug 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
    All of these are from one book
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Merely seems like the wrong word since it means more like 'more than' or 'above and beyond' whereas transcend and invalidate are more like opposites.

2. And yer this people has contributed a spectacularly disproportionate share of western civilization's heritage
    Yer? People have contributed a dramatically unequal share of western culture/heritage

3. Because to think you know its bound to be a wild goose chase.
    People thinking they know something they don't tends to get them in pursuit of something they are wasting time trying

4. How much more these two extraordinary ideas? If he did meet these two people, however, or even disciples of either man who had caught enough of the spirit of their master to rub off a little bit, what would Socrates thinK then?
    How great are these two extraordinary thoughts?. if they had caught enough of the masters spirit what would Socrates have thought?

For words you do not understand you can try looking up synonyms for the word using a thesaurus
    Synonyms for spectacular | Collins English Thesaurus

Aug 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Thank u very much!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Which book are these sentences from?

Here's another point of view --

TRANSCEND = go above
    INVALIDATES = make not true

2. And yet this people [nation, culture] has contributed a spectacularly disproportionate share of western civilization’s heritage
    SPECTACULARLY = hugely, a huge amount
    DISPROPORTIONATE = beyond what would be expected

3. Because to think you know it's bound to be a wild goose chase.
    WILD GOOSE CHASE = going after something that doesn't really exist or can't be caught or found

4. How much more these two extraordinary ideas? If he did meet these two people, however, or even disciples of either man who had caught enough of the spirit of their master to rub off a little bit, what would Socrates think then?
    I NEED MORE CONTEXT TO UNDERSTAND THIS SENTENCE.

Aug 14, 2013, 11:12 AM
    These are from a book called Faith and Reason: Philosophy of Religion written by Peter Kreeft, it has only 80 pages and after I took his permission I started translating it in Albanian, but if I don't understand the meaning of the full sentence in the right way, like in this case is very difficult for me to write it in Albanian, because it doesn't have the same meaning, or it is incomprehensible.

And this is the complete paragraph of question 4.

So if Socrates never met Jesus, I don't see much chance he would ever believe the idea, any more than the Buddhist idea. He was so skeptical and agnostic that he found it difficult enough to believe even ordinary ideas other people believed; how much more these two extraordinary ideas? If he did meet these two people, however, or even disciples of either man who had caught enough of the spirit of their master to rub off a little bit, what would Socrates think then?

You also helped me before, thank you very much for your precious help.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
    I'm glad I was able to help you before (although I cannot find evidence that I did).

KREFFT: "So if Socrates never met Jesus, I don't see much chance he would ever believe the idea, any more than the Buddhist idea. He was so skeptical and agnostic that he found it difficult enough to believe even ordinary ideas other people believed; how much more these two extraordinary ideas? If he did meet these two people, however, or even disciples of either man who had caught enough of the spirit of their master to rub off a little bit, what would Socrates think then?"

ME: Socrates never met Jesus and Buddha.

Socrates was a skeptic (he questioned everything) and agnostic (was not sure there is a God).

Socrates did not believe ordinary ideas, so it was difficult for him to believe very special ideas (teachings by) Jesus and Buddha.

Would Socrates change his mind if he had known Jesus and Buddha (or some of their followers) and been able to talk with them about their ideas?

(Socrates was always full of questions and would test and question everything -- and would challenge others to test and question everything. Socrates, if he would have lived during their time and had known them, would have tested and questioned even Jesus and Buddha to find why they thought and believed what they did about peace and cooperation and personal responsibility and unconditional love.)

Aug 14, 2013, 11:57 AM
    Thanks again, here you can find the page where u helped me: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/books-...ce-759372.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot understund a sentence! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an Albanian, and I cannot understund what's the meaning of this sentence, could someone write it for me in a simpler way, thank u. "There is not a single so-called spiritual event that cannot be accounted for by some material event in the brain"

Translate english sentences to sanskrit sentences [ 3 Answers ]

The restaurant opens at 8:00 Can you translate this to sanskrit

80's cartoon short, with two black haired men in lab coats. One tall, and one short. [ 0 Answers ]

What is the name of the 80's cartoon short that had two characters in white lab coats? There was a tall thin man, and a short, more round one. The tall man had a wiry black moustache, very prominent nose and had a nasally voice, and I am unsure of any features for the short man, and I don't believe...

View more questions Search