Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjigates Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 09:06 AM
    Upright freezer has solid frost from top shelf to top coils
    I just defrosted my upright freezer and from the top shelf to the top was solid frost. It has only been two weeks and there is a lot of frost already building up on the top coils and around the light.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Check the gasket for damage or debris attached to it or the sealing surface.

Sounds like you have air infiltration from somewhere.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2013, 05:31 AM
    It sounds like both an air leak and a failure of the defrost system, if it's a frost-free freezer. The defrost system has a defrost timer, defrost heater, and a defrost terminator (or thermostat, which it is). The defrost timer can be found either next to the thermostat or under the unit and you can recognize it because it's a plastic box https://www.midwestapplianceparts.co.../215846602.jpg and has a one-way screw on the front. They have universal ones, but they have to match the type you have. The defrost heater and terminator (wired at one end of heater)Redirect Noticeare located where the coils are located, but some freezers have hot gas defrost systems which have a reversing valve to work like a heat pump to heat the coils. Most new freezers and refrigerators have this system. If it has a heater you can test it with an ohm meter, or many times you can see if it's burned in two. Replace all this and it will run for another five to seven years or more. Make sure to clean your coils under the unit once a year with soap and a spray of water from hose nozzle, if possible, and clean the condenser fan blades plus oil the motor.
    The air leak, if there is one, may require a new gasket. To replace it you will have to remove the door and lay it flat on a support in the sun. Remove the screws around the door and remove the inside liner. When you replace it put a bead of GE Clear Silicone Caulk around the edge of that liner. This is very important. Put it on both sides of gasket so it will seal out any air leaks to inside of door. To test it you may put a bright flashlight on inside of freezer in various places and shut door with no lights in room. This may show any leaks. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire Refrigerator - Water leaking on top shelf [ 1 Answers ]

I have a model FRT18P5AW2 model Frigidaire top freezer refrigerator. I have been experiencing water dripping on the top shelf. It appears to be coming from the top center of the unit, where there appears to be a diffuser. I checked the drain tup and found it clear of any debris. There is apparently...

Water on top shelf of refrigerator [ 0 Answers ]

Similar problem to the other "Water on top shelf of fridge...". Had the problem a year ago, melted it, cleared drain, all good. Had the problem again about 3 weeks ago. Again no problem... melted, cleared, Good! BUT why did it happen again yesterday? 3 weeks later... Could it be some problem with...

GE side-by-side refrigerator frost-free freezer coils has 1/2" ice [ 0 Answers ]

GE side by side refrigerator; frost-free freezer freezes up. I have a GE frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 7 years old but for the past six months I have been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside coils, and then the refrigerator doesn't get...

Upright freezer, a frost free, is freezing up [ 1 Answers ]

We replaced the seal on it. Upright freezer works but although it's a frost free, it was freezing Up. Do Freezers run low on freon on is something else wrong? It is in the garage. Thanks

Water puddle on top shelf of Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kenmore fridge that recently started gathering water on the top shelf of the refrigerator section (top is freezer with an ice maker/bottom is fridge). I'm not sure if it's the ice maker leeking or if it's the seal on the door is needing to be replaced. Thank you for your assistance

View more questions Search