Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jordonj Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Can I move out when I'm 18
    I'll be 18 in a year. I'll be going to college next year and working part-time, will a part time job afford a 500 dollars a month rent?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2013, 04:59 PM
    At 18 you can do what you want.
    Of course if your parents are paying for college, you should talk to them to see what they think.
    There's no way that we could know if you can afford $500 rent on the wages of a part time job! Rate? Hours? Other expenses? Just the fact that you think we can answer this shows that you need to sit down with someone - parents, probably - and discuss what it's like living on your own, as far as money goes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
    Probably not
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2013, 06:38 PM
    I always tell my kids start saving all the money you can for at least 5 months. You will want at least $1,500. For rent and security deposit, a few hundred for utility turn on, a month or two toward transportation costs, plus everyday expenses.
    Also look for all the bargains you can. Forget buying new unless it is a great deal
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 07:06 PM
    If it is a min wage job, seldom will it pay enough to live on your own, if you were working full time.

We have no idea how much money you have saved, how much electric, gas, water will be.
    How often do you eat out, who is paying for your cell phone, do you have a car.
    You don't expect mom and dad to pay for any of this if you move out now.

Are you still in high school ?
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
    According to your other post you have never had a job so I'd say it is best to wait until you have a job an get your finances together and learn budgeting before you think about it.
    Jordonj Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    if it is a min wage job, seldom will it pay enough to live on your own, if you were working full time.

We have no idea how much money you have saved, how much electric, gas, water will be.
    how often do you eat out, who is paying for your cell phone, do you have a car.
    You don't expect mom and dad to pay for any of this if you move out now.

Are you still in high school ?
    Right now yes and I'm homeschooled.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2013, 08:34 PM
    Part-time, will a part time job afford a 500 dollars a month rent?

At 500. Per month rent you need to be making at last 1,500. A month.
    A part time 30 hour job at 8.50 an hour minus taxes would leave you with about maybe 800. A month. Leaving you an average of about 200 to 300 after 500 rent. I don't know too many people that can live on 300 a month for bills and spend money after rent
    keeks143 Posts: 149, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Sure, you can move out. But to me that doesn't sound like enough money!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2000 ford windstar will not move shift gears but won't move [ 1 Answers ]

Checked trans filud good checked cable good still won't move.

My 1993 Mazda MVP will not move even in neutral shifter on column will move [ 0 Answers ]

The shifter on column will move but the car/van will not go into gear. Put car in neutral will not roll. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Can my 2 yr. Old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of...

I can't move my left eye ball completely as I can move right so it looks bad [ 1 Answers ]

Doctor says musscle problem do u sugggest me... becose I'm actor

View more questions Search