Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    levan20 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Aug 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Is this legal? Or can I fight this? If so, how?
    A private company is garnishing my checks for a debt my current husband had, ehich was before we were married. In AZ I know that his debts are mone and mine are his, but this contract was signed before we were married. Please help :/
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
    First do not have a joint account an explain to the bank or your work payroll know what's going on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2013, 04:00 PM
    For anyone to garnish your pay, they must have won a judgment against you. The timeto fight this was at the hearing.

Do you know anything about a hearing on this debt?

Aug 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    For anyone to garnish your pay, they must have won a judgment against you. The timeto fight this was at the hearing.

Do you know anything about a hearing on this debt?
    I don't recall ever getting a notice of a hearing. I do recall getting the documents from court stating that my paychecks were going to be garnished due to this debt. I recall many years ago they came to my house looking for my husband, I told them I was his wife )not knowing whom they were), he wrote my name down and left. He started adding me to all his collection letters. He did not realize that we had married after my husband had made this Blue Max vacum cleaner purchase. And I don't recall receiving a letter to appear in court, until after the fact. :(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
    I would get a hold of the court that sent the garnishment papers

Aug 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I would get a hold of the court that sent the garnishment papers
    Thank you!

Aug 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Once my checks are being garnished, what can I do to get the percentage minimized?
    Once my checks are already being garnished, can I get the percentage minimized? Also, this debt belongs to my current husband, but we were not married at the time him signing the contract, can I fight this? What is a motion?

Aug 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
    If they are already garnishing my checks because they have a judgement
    Can they also go into my bank account where I am getting direct deposit? Yet judgment is for husband and he is not on my bank account?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2013, 04:41 PM
    If the judgment is against your husband only, and your are the only account holder on that checking account, than they cannot garnish it. Go to the court and file for separation from this judgment. You are not respondible for it.

Aug 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Threads merged. Please don't start new threads over the same issue. If you have any follow up post it as a reply to this thread.

The amount of the garnishment is restricted by law. And yes, if they have a judgment against you they can attach your bank account too.

You need to get a transcript of the hearing and find out what happened.

Aug 14, 2013, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Threads merged. Please don't start new threads over the same issue. If you have any follow up post it as a reply to this thread.

The amount of the garnishment is restricted by law. And yes, if they have a judgment against you they can attach your bank account too.

You need to get a transcript of the hearing and find out what happened.
    Thank you for your help!

Aug 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
    I went to a hearing today. I went to decrease the amount from my garnishment from 25% to 15%... until I can fille a motion or file separation from this judgment. So when I went up there today, I told the judge first of all I am confused because the judgement states PAC and the name on the hearing paperwork says Capital One. So her and plaintiffs lawyer agreed it was PAC. Then the judge read that besides me getting the amt. decreased I was claiming I was not married to him at the time of contract. She agreed as they noticed that deal was done 10 years ago, and I have only been married to him 6. However, the lawyer said that now because we are married our money is community, therefore, his money is mine and my money is his, so they are garnishing my money because we are married despite of me not being involved in the original contract.

They approved the decrease amount of my garnishment.. but I do want to file something to separate me from this debt.

Aug 15, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Not sure you can, based on what you just posted.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 05:26 PM
    They are correct, you are married to him, so now everything is community property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 09:41 PM
    Yes, when you married him, you accepted his debts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

How do I learn to fight someone back if I've never been in a fight? [ 4 Answers ]

Well a girl's boyfriend flirts with me a little and it pisses her off. So to get attention she says I'm trying to steal him from her (how pathetic, right?) at first I ignored her b.s. but when she started putting my friends against me she crossed the line. She keeps saying she will knock me out but...

Can I get legal aid to fight to prove paternity for my fathers estate [ 2 Answers ]

My brother passed away recently he never married, a 21year old has come forewod claiming to be his son my brothers name is not on his birth certificate. 5 year ago my brother asked the mother to get dna to prove he was his son she declined. He is now claiming the house, money and everything how...

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

View more questions Search