Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wl8787 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Foreclosure home renter
    Hi aim renting a house form a non real estate agent or a management company they consider they are a guardian for the home owner no proof was provided but did sign a lease with cash basis only. My question is how do I find out if this person is even giving money to the home owner. I have done lots of improvement to the house and continue to do so. Please anyone have the answer advise or who I can contact to confirm my rent money. Thank you
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 01:35 PM
    First, stop making improvements to the house unless you plan on making those improvements a gift to the homeowner. Because unless you buy the house or get something in writing from the homeowner, you're going to lose everything you spent on the improvements when your tenancy ends.

Second, if you're required to pay in cash MAKE SURE YOU GET A WRITTEN RECEIPT for each payment!

Third, you can call the town's tax assessor to find out who they have listed as the owner of the property. They can also tell you if the taxes have been paid and the name and address where the tax bill is sent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
    Why would you spend money improving a property you don't own?

As Lisa said, check with the local tax assessor or registrar of deeds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter trying to purchase a home that is currently in foreclosure [ 6 Answers ]

I am panic strikken! I live in Minnesota and have been renting a home for over two years. The landlord let it go ito foreclosure and I have been trying to find answers on how I can purchase the home for some time now... to no avail. No one has been able to give me any answers on my situation. ...

Renter of a home for Sale [ 3 Answers ]

I am curently renting a home for sale. My Question is Can my Landlord or real estate agent take picture of the inside & contents of my home without my permission & list the on the internet & flyers ?

Renter's Right on Foreclosure Home [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I am renting a house that has a foreclosure letter. The owner had 3 months without paying her mortgage (April, May, June) and we started renting the house in July. We paid the first month, last month and security deposit, and also paid rent for August. Now, we realize the house could be...

Renter Rights on Foreclosed home [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a 2 yr lease with option to buy. I was only here 6 months before I received the notice taped to my house. The landlord obviously wasn't paying the mortgage with my rent nor did he contact me about this. He threatens me that he'll evict me, however the lease is now voided, so he can not do...

View more questions Search