Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diditagain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Bad conduct discharge
    I received a bad conduct discharge from the Navy 15 years ago for AWOL, I served 6 months in the Brig, was reduced from E4 to E1, and loss of all benefits, can I have that upgraded in any way or get any benefits or shall I have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life. I didn't do drugs or harm anyone, I just Quit my job and now 15 years later I still pay for my stupididty.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 03:00 AM
    If it were me I would not disclose to prospective employers that you were in the service at all. Are you in an employment field where you are sure they will go back that far in searching military records?
    gregba02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Hey Their Slick Sleeve.. I Received A Bcd From The Marine Corps A Few Years Ago For Going Awol As Well... the Truth Of The Matter Is Nobody Cares... I Have A Good Job As An Insurance Agent And Am About To Start My Own Agency With Afalc Insurance... the Truth Is That Regular Civilian Jobs Don't Look Up Military Records So I Don't Ever List That I Was In The Military... even If They Did They Don't Have Access To The Federal Database To Check It Out... thats Why They Ask... now Check This Out I Went To The Va And Spoke To A Counslor And He Told Me That He Knew Someone That Got Into The Border Patrol With A Bcd... I Checked It Out By Applying For Customs And Border Patrol... its True Right Now Ive Already Passed Mostly Everything For Customs... I Don't Know If I Want To Do That Though... im Going To Check Out Aflac And If That Don't Work Out Well Then At Least I Can Fall Back Onto Customs Or Border Patrol... as Long As You Don't Have A Dishorable Discharge... im A Member On Leather Neck.com And Have A Budddy On Their That Told Me Hes Getting His Discharge Upgraded.. he Told Me To Write My Congressman And Its Even Better If Hes On The Armed Services Committee As He Did And Hes Going To Help Him Out... I Will Do That Because As A Marine I Would Love The Opportunity To Be Given One More Chance To Serve In The Beloved Corps... oh Yeah And You Can Also Try And Reenlist And Get An Honorable... trust Me Even If You Have A Re-04 Just Tell Them You Spoke To The Va And They Told You That They Can Submit A Waiver... I Tried That With Marines The Recruiters Were Down And Were Treating Me Like A Marine Except The First Sgt Knew Me And Said He Wasn't Going to Sign And Blew Me Off.. Him... but Yeah Try These Things Out And See What Happens... I Bet Your Like My Brother Always Putting Down That You Were In The Military Then Yu Show Them Your Dd 214 It Shows You Have A Oth, My Brothers Discharge, And Because Of That He Has Not Done For Himself... dont Say...
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Think of all the guys who went through this after vietnam. You can't change the past.
    I find it doubt·ful that you are going to get anything changed. Just don't tell anyone you were ever in military.
    greyeagle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 08:40 PM
    I too received a bcd from the marines in 1969 for awol, and recently found out that there is a 15 yr time limit to apply for upgrade. So I too have to live with it,I just don't tell too many people about my military time
    michaelraypowell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 07:53 AM
    I received a Bad Conduct Discharge in 1969 while serving in Vietnam for mal-treatment of a prisoner of war. Are there any veteran benefits available for me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelraypowell
    I received a Bad Conduct Discharge in 1969 while serving in Vietnam for mal-treatment of a prisoner of war. Are there any veteran benefits available for me?

Contact the VA - they know the Federal and State laws, the ins and the outs.

With a bad conduct discharge I would say, no, but I would still check.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Find the forms you need to apply here:
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    You will need a copy of your DD-214 That can be requested here, also.
    This is actually a remarkable resource, and with patience, you can accomplish much of what you need to pursue an upgrade of discharge.
    Be prepared for the deluge of paperwork that will be required just to review your discharge. Obtaining an upgrade may be one issue. Receiving benefits at this point may me quite another story.
    Good luck and I hope this helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregba02
    Hey Their Slick Sleeve..i Recieved A Bcd From The Marine Corps A Few Years Ago For Going Awol As Well...the Truth Of The Matter Is Nobody Cares...i Have A Good Job As An Insurance Agent And Am About To Start My Own Agency With Afalc Insurance....the Truth Is That Regular Civilian Jobs Dont Look Up Military Records So I Dont Ever List That I Was In The Military...even If They Did They Dont Have Access To The Federal Database To Check It Out...thats Why They Ask...now Check This Out I Went To The Va And Spoke To A Counslor And He Told Me That He Knew Someone That Got Into The Border Patrol With A Bcd...i Checked It Out By Applying For Customs And Border Patrol...its True Right Now Ive Already Passed Mostly Everything For Customs....i Dont Know If I Want To Do That Though...im Going To Check Out Aflac And If That Dont Work Out Well Then At Least I Can Fall Back Onto Customs Or Border Patrol....as Long As You Dont Have A Dishorable Discharge....im A Member On Leather Neck.com And Have A Budddy On Their That Told Me Hes Getting His Discharge Upgraded..he Told Me To Write My Congressman And Its Even Better If Hes On The Armed Services Commitee As He Did And Hes Going To Help Him Out....i Will Do That Because As A Marine I Would Love The Opportunity To Be Given One More Chance To Serve In The Beloved Corps...oh Yeah And You Can Also Try And Reenlist And Get An Honorable...trust Me Even If You Have A Re-04 Just Tell Them You Spoke To The Va And They Told You That They Can Submit A Waiver....i Tried That With Marines The Recruiters Were Down And Were Treating Me Like A Marine Except The First Sgt Knew Me And Said He Wasnt Gonna Sign And Blew Me Off.. Him...but Yeah Try These Things Out And See What Happens...i Bet Your Like My Brother Always Putting Down That You Were In The Military Then Yu Show Them Your Dd 214 It Shows You Have A Oth, My Brothers Discharge, And Because Of That He Has Not Done For Himself....dont Say ....

Unless US Customs/Border Patrol has greatly changed its background checks I don't know how you are going to be hired/appointed unless it depends on the level of your security clearance.

At one time they went back to your childhood - literally. And a background investigation can and will pull a military record. I do it all the time. As you said, most of private business does not care - but if you need to be bonded my experience has shown that they do care. The other problem is if you don't list something potentially harmful and there is a claim the insurance company can deny coverage and you suddenly are falsely accused and defending yourself - but you know this from your insurance background, I'm sure.

As I said - maybe US Customs/Border Patrol has changed its background checks or security requirements. Bet Fr. Chuck would know -

Have absolutely no knowledge of discharges and all of that so you are probably right. Good to know a mistake doesn't ruin your life.
    Semper Fi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Ok, first of all you got a BCD or "Big Chicken Dinner" which means you got kicked out. If you got kicked out how can you still call yourself a MARINE!

Quote Originally Posted by gregba02
    Hey Their Slick Sleeve..i Recieved A Bcd From The Marine Corps A Few Years Ago For Going Awol As Well...the Truth Of The Matter Is Nobody Cares...i Have A Good Job As An Insurance Agent And Am About To Start My Own Agency With Afalc Insurance....the Truth Is That Regular Civilian Jobs Dont Look Up Military Records So I Dont Ever List That I Was In The Military...even If They Did They Dont Have Access To The Federal Database To Check It Out...thats Why They Ask...now Check This Out I Went To The Va And Spoke To A Counslor And He Told Me That He Knew Someone That Got Into The Border Patrol With A Bcd...i Checked It Out By Applying For Customs And Border Patrol...its True Right Now Ive Already Passed Mostly Everything For Customs....i Dont Know If I Want To Do That Though...im Going To Check Out Aflac And If That Dont Work Out Well Then At Least I Can Fall Back Onto Customs Or Border Patrol....as Long As You Dont Have A Dishorable Discharge....im A Member On Leather Neck.com And Have A Budddy On Their That Told Me Hes Getting His Discharge Upgraded..he Told Me To Write My Congressman And Its Even Better If Hes On The Armed Services Commitee As He Did And Hes Going To Help Him Out....i Will Do That Because As A Marine I Would Love The Opportunity To Be Given One More Chance To Serve In The Beloved Corps...oh Yeah And You Can Also Try And Reenlist And Get An Honorable...trust Me Even If You Have A Re-04 Just Tell Them You Spoke To The Va And They Told You That They Can Submit A Waiver....i Tried That With Marines The Recruiters Were Down And Were Treating Me Like A Marine Except The First Sgt Knew Me And Said He Wasnt Gonna Sign And Blew Me Off.. Him...but Yeah Try These Things Out And See What Happens...i Bet Your Like My Brother Always Putting Down That You Were In The Military Then Yu Show Them Your Dd 214 It Shows You Have A Oth, My Brothers Discharge, And Because Of That He Has Not Done For Himself....dont Say ....
    gregba02 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi
    Ok, first of all you got a BCD or "Big Chicken Dinner" which means you got kicked out. If you got kicked out how can you still call yourself a MARINE!
    youv've know the saying "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" do your research and youllnotice MSgt Paul Woyshner, a 40-year Marine, is credited with originating this expression during a taproom argument with a discharged Marine. I earned the title and if I got to carry the discharge for the rest of my life then I'm still a Marine so don't think your better than me. Call me a bad Marine if you want but don't say I isn't.
    PTrainer29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregba02 View Post
    youv've know the saying "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" do your research and youllnotice MSgt Paul Woyshner, a 40-year Marine, is credited with originating this expression during a taproom argument with a discharged Marine. I earned the title and if i got to carry the discharge for the rest of my life then im still a Marine so dont think your better than me. call me a bad Marine if you want but dont say i aint.

Exactly! Well put
    caved357 Posts: 1, Reputation: -2

Mar 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
    I received an Honorable discharge after serving 20+ years in the army. When you do thing honorably, you don't have to ask these type of questions. What's more, why did you decide to serve if you were not going to put ALL of your heart in it? If I were you, I would not disclose any information about your military service (or disservice).
    wendee008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelraypowell View Post

Apply for va compensation and/or pension with the regional office or by going online at Request Rejected

The va will automatically do what is called a "CHARACTER OF DISCHARGE" determination to see if you are eligible to receive benefits from the va. If they decide you are not (after reviewing the facts and circumstances surrounding your discharge and requesting your accounting of what happened) then they will provide forms to apply to have your discharge upgraded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad conduct discharge [ 11 Answers ]

Is there any sight that tells a persons rights or lack there of ,after a bad conduct discharge,I got it when I was 19 ,admitted I was wrong and it was either admit it or they were going to fry me,id rather be free and a failure than locked up ,at that time. That was 17 years ago,Ive tried to get...

Bad Conduct discharge [ 1 Answers ]

End

Bad odor and brownish discharge [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on birth control for 2 years now. Everything has been great with it, I just got off my period last Thursday and ever since I got off it I've had brownish discharge and a really bad smell. Could someone please tell me what this means. Id rather ask here then call my doctor first.

Haunted by a Disorderly Conduct [ 2 Answers ]

Will a Disorderly Conduct (Violation) sealed by the court prevent me from working for specifically for a bank? Or any other types of employment? Also, will my fingerprints show up (the bank is requiring that I submit them) - they were confirmed by the city/county that they were destroyed &...

Defense against immoral conduct? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, A friend(Key Word) and school advisor recently divorced. Her husband had me served with a Arbitration Paper. It claims immoral acts on my part caused his divorce. I have never been to there home, and have several E-Mails from her which show I rebuked her advances and that I was only talking...

View more questions Search