Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanduezio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 08:52 PM
    Using 3 Internet Connections Simultaneously?
    Hello, I am using a broadband connection of 2 Mb/s with morning 2-8 unlimited offer. But I have such huge files to download that I want to take two more separate 2 Mb/s broadband connection from the same ISP. I have checked with them they say there is no problem to provide a connection. So in total that makes three connections. I have checked online to use three connections simultaneously and found a dual wan router will help me accomplish this. But I don't want that (because I found that I could not utilize the full bandwidth I get if I use them separately). Any way I have decided I will buy 2 more modems and connect each connection separately and use three different applications to download from three different connections. But the problem is there is one ethernet connection from my ADSL modem to my computer. For my two new connections I need two more ethernet ports in my "computer" (not in my modem). Can I use some alternative way than buying some equipment to connect the three connections. I heard that the modems can be used by connecting usb instead of ethernet. Is it true. Will the 3 internet connection in any way interfere with each other if used separately on the same PC and finally will the internet connection in any way interfere with the system performance since I am hooking up 3 modems to the same PC. Thanks in advance!!

Additional Details
    Some other details : After hooking it up I will be using utorrent for one connection. Internet download manager for the other and vuze for the third. But in some special case can I use the three connections for the same utorrent (I don't want one single torrent file to utlize three connections because I know about the redundancy; but can I use say 3 different torrent files in the same utorrent program utilizing 3 connections. If it is not possible in you torrent is it possible in vuze or in internet download manager. Please answer these questions too.

I know it is not ideal for me to have 3 separate internet connections. But trust me it is still far better than any other plans. I have practically checked all the connections that my ISP and other ISP provides. Nothing comes within the range even if I take 6 different connections.

I live in India there is no possible way to get the connection that are more faster than getting the three separate connection. And fiber optic connections are not available as well. Even if I have separate 3 connections it will cost me about 80 dollars installation charge and 30 dollars per month (which I can afford). But if I take a faster connection (with more limitation than taking 3 separate connections) it will cost me about 120 dollars intallation charges and stunning 60 - 80 dollars per months. (The 30 dollars before is for the 3 connections combined)
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 2, 2014, 08:25 PM
    It is possible to install multiple ADSL modems, either via multiple ethernet adapters or USB ports, and have different (or same) default gateways configured on each interface, however the problem with doing this is that Windows will only use one of the interfaces for all traffic without a configured route - the one with the lowest automatic or configured metrics. So, one way to work around this behavior without adding equipment (such as a router that supports WAN connection aggregation or load balancing) is to manually configure routes and metrics to the download sites per interface to force a specific individual interface to be used. A single download still would not use the aggregate bandwidth of all the connections, but multiple downloads could each use a dedicated connection. Multiple download managers are also not needed which wouldn't work anyway unless the manager supported configuring which interface to use for each download. Configuring this approach is a non-trivial task and will likely be more difficult to maintain than a router that supports multiple connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I use one phone jack for internet and telephone simultaneously? [ 4 Answers ]

I need top use one jack for internet and a landsline wired telephone, is this possible? Do I need some sort of splitter?

Internet Connections [ 7 Answers ]

I cannot understand why lately internet browsing is very fast (as it was before) but online gaming (namely FIFA ONLINE 2) has become slow to load but while playing the football match it is fast (thus not the graphics card or RAM ecc.). Any suggestions?

Internet connections [ 9 Answers ]

How can I block users w/ notebook and laptops from using my home internet connection? I am not good w/ computers at all so I have no clue! My nephew who has laptop and is not allowed on internet (unless at home w/ parents under supervision) is able to connect when he comes over. Im assuming he is...

Internet connections [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it hard to connect dell computers to the internet?

View more questions Search