Hi were do I get a bird a indian ringneck
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
    I would think most pet stores would have them
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
    Depends on where you live. Most pet stores don't carry the larger exotic birds, not even cockatiels. They take up too much room. Those that do, I wouldn't buy from.

A breeder is your best choice. You'll want a bird that was hand raised, if you want it as a pet. You might also try looking online. Many parrots are given up because they're too much work and too expensive to care for. You may find one for free in your area.

But, without knowing your area, I really can't tell you where you'll find this bird.
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I would think most pet stores would have them
    Actually, most pet stores won't carry them. Of those that do, they'll be accidental litters, the worst of the worst. When it comes to animals, pet stores get those that laymen breed, or people that mass breed and don't care at all about the offspring.

A pet store will charge 3 times what the bird is worth, and it won't even be hand raised, or properly cared for.

A breeder is the best bet, or someone that's giving away a bird because they can't care for it.

Of course the bird is the least of the cots. A bird like the one the OP is looking for, will need a huge cage. Even used he/she is looking at spending at least $500 on a cage. The bird, if he/she finds a legitimate breeder, will be around $2500 or up. Food, toys, perches, etc. are extra. So is vet care (good luck with that one).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
    I know three or four places in my city, Zhengzhou China, so where are you at.

But you work at it, go to the local pet store and if they do not ask them, and work from there.
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I know three or four places in my city, Zhengzhou China, so where are you at.

but you work at it, go to the local pet store and if they do not ask them, and work from there.
    I hate to disagree Chuck, but the pet store is the worst place to start. The only thing a pet store should supply is food, perhaps a cage, accessories, and maybe a book on how to care for this animal. But not the animal itself.

I would start by looking for breeders in the OP's area. Then I'd find out if they're legitimate breeders, if they hand raise their chicks, what they feed them, when they sell them (age is important), what their return policy is, etc. etc.

If the OP can't find a breeder, I'd go to sites like kijiji, or other sites that sell by owner, and look for anyone giving away their bird. Or post an ad "I'm looking for an Indian ring neck, hand raised, tame, age is not an issue", and go from there.

A pet store is the last place I'd look. Not that I haven't. When I was looking for a male cockatiel and couldn't find breeders in my area, or any rescues at my local shelter, I actually went to a pet store as a last resort. They had no cockatiels. They told me they don't carry them because they're too big, they'd need to dedicate too much space to them. Finches, canaries, and budgies is all they carry. They're small, don't take up too much space, therefore they can make money, without too much care, too much invested. Parrots don't sell, mainly because the price tag is too high. They take up a lot of space, and usually end up sitting in the pet store for many months, if not years.

So I placed an ad on Kijiji, and I found my Bo. Free to a good home. :)
    citydweller Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
    I would start with a reputable breeder in your area or try Kijiji, but look for a healthy bird and ask many questions. I was told when I started buying birds no question is stupid and if seller is in a hurry to sell, be wary!
    Pets Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
    I would start with a reputable breeder in your area or try Kijiji, but look for a healthy bird and ask many questions. I was told when I started buying birds no question is stupid and if seller is in a hurry to sell, be wary!
    Very good advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creepy film evil boy on farm turns into a bird or sees through eyes of a bird [ 4 Answers ]

What I remember of the film An old big (tall) wooden? Farmhouse. Located I think in the USA. The family had European connections. The boy was bad or evil or misunderstood (not sure) He could either turn into or see through the eyes of a flying bird. This is something I think that was passed...

Bird Training & Bird toys business. How to start? [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work at an Animal Hospital for 3 Years, and I got into bird training. I got really well at it and I love it! I've trained my bird to wave, fetch, and do a lot of other complex tricks. I've also helped my friend with her Bird's behavioral problems. I really want to do this more, but I'm...

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

View more questions Search