Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animal Luvr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
    How can I earn enough money to pay for a horse?
    I am almost 14 and I have wanted a horse for as long as I can remember. I started taking riding lessons when I was 6 and have been riding ever since. I am experienced in bareback, western, and I am currently competing in hunter/jumper over fences. I have been riding lesson horses forever but I have grown out of my latest mount and am running out of horses to ride at my stable. I have either grown out of them or aren't allowed to ride them anymore (getting flung off twice in one month). My parents want me to have a horse but they can't afford it. I know all the expenses and responsibilities involved in owning a horse and I have done my research.

My family lives in the city so we don't have space for a horse but I am planning on keeping the horse at my riding stable. The cost of full board there is $485. I currently make $80 per month from babysitting but I am going to be babysitting for more families in a month or so which will make my monthly income about $200. I am also planning on working at my stable to get a discount on boarding.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Farrier expenses? Vet fees (especially if the horse gets sick)? Inoculation costs? Tack expenses?

Do you know anything about the care and feeding of horses? Is the horse going to be stuck in a stable until you happen to show up to ride it? Oh, and horses aren't cheap to buy if you want a good one.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
    I don't know about horses, so am curious about not being allowed to ride certain horses after being thrown off twice. How is that considered? Are you not experienced enough, or does it mean you are doing something they don't approve of?

I don't see how a 13 year old (or anyone under 18) can earn enough to cover ownership. It's more expensive than owning and insuring and maintaining a car. I would call you fortunate for getting as far as you have with the help of your parents, and bide your time until you are older, saving as much as you can until your nest egg is full.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 04:38 PM
    I can appreciate your desire for a horse, they are true and loyal friends.
    Have you ever heard this? "The purchase price of a horse is merely a down payment"
    Something that I found out is very true-the hard way. And I was in my 30's
    Animal Luvr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
    I was unable to ride a really spooky horse after falling off twice within a 4 ride period due to safety. I have taken vet bills and farrier bills into consideration and the stable is owned by a veterinarian who lives on the property. I am planning on riding 4-6 days a week and horses are let out to their own personal pasture and turn-out twice a day. I know horses are expensive so I am trying to come up with ways to earn more money.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2013, 05:47 PM
    Can you tutor, since you write well and must be doing well academically?
    Maybe parents will pay twice the going babysitting rate if you tutor.
    When I was in high school I earned twice the going rate just by promising to spend every minute doing creative play, and not doing my homework or watching TV.
    You could even help those in your own class (with their parents' permission) with assignments, papers, projects.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal Luvr View Post
    I was unable to ride a really spooky horse after falling off twice within a 4 ride period due to safety. I have taken vet bills and farrier bills into consideration and the stable is owned by a veterinarian who lives on the property. I am planning on riding 4-6 days a week and horses are let out to their own personal pasture and turn-out twice a day. I know horses are expensive so I am trying to come up with ways to earn more money.
    Can you rent a horse? Many stable owners rent out their horses to ride, and for grooming. You pay a monthly fee. They pay for the stall and some pay for the food. I wouldn't consider owning a horse until you have a full-time job. My neighbors all have horses. Between food, vet bills, grooming needs, etc. the monthly expenses are huge.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
    All the farmers I know can't even afford the food for a horse and they wouldn't even have to.pay for boarding.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
    You write very well, it's refreshing to see someone so young write so well, and express their thoughts. You're a breath of fresh air around here.

Sadly, I don't have good news for you. At your age you can't legally work anywhere, not even McDonalds (where I live they don't hire under 14), for minimum wage part time. At $80 a month babysitting you can't even cover the boarding fees for the horse, much less the price to buy a horse.

I think you're going to have to put your dreams on hold for a while. Even if you started babysitting more, even if you started working, it will still take a few years for you to earn enough money to even buy a horse.

I'm sorry. I wish I could lie to you and tell you there's some magical way to make this happen, but based on what you wrote, I don't think it will happen right now.

Keep the dream, work hard, save all your money. Maybe in a few years you can afford to buy your horse.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 10:44 PM
    At your age, there is no way to earn enough money, all the time, to pay these and other costs you will have. Also there has to be money saved ahead for additional costs and emergency that come up.

You will need to work with your parents on other ways to do this.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Is there a rescue nearby that has horses? You could volunteer there to lunge, clean stalls, exercise them etc. You would then get more experience taking care of a horse and also helping animals that really need it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I don't have money to invest, I want to earn money... What should I do? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have money to invest, I want to earn money... What should I do?

Earn Money [ 1 Answers ]

Please friends can any one tell me how to earn money online in real time.

View more questions Search