Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichLebrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 01:10 PM
    Honda Accord canister P1457 leaking
    I have been driving my Honda Accord 2000 with the check engine light on for a couple of weeks.

Today, my Honda dealer indicated that I needed to change the DTC P1457 EVAP (new canister) for $900.00.

I would like to know if it is a necessity to change the canister, how could I drive w/o an issue after this diagnostic? What are the risk of not making the change?

Thank you,
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
    It's best to change the canister, since, in some states, your car will fail inspection if the CEL stays on. Your problem usually comes about by "topping off" the gas tank. Excess raw gas damages the charcoal canister. When the pump cuts out, don't try to pump in more gas.
    RichLebrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    It's best to change the canister, since, in some states, your car will fail inspection if the CEL stays on. Your problem usually comes about by "topping off" the gas tank. Excess raw gas damages the charcoal canister. When the pump cuts out, don't try to pump in more gas.
    Thank you for your answer.

If I understand correctly, there are no significants risks for the engine or further damage to the car if I do not do the change immediately.

The inspection comment is a good point, the car would not pass inspoection in PA where I am.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
    I don't think there are any significant risks to the car, if you don't fix it immediately.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
    I had this same code on my Honda 2004 ivic. I changed the purge valve on the intake manifold and it has been fine ever since. The valve is about $40. Cheap to try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 honda accord leaking on driver's side [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Honda Accord V-6 that leaks only on the driver's side floor (back seat and passenger floors are dry. Door and window seals are fine. It seems to seep and gets worse if driven in the rain as opposed to merely sitting while it's pouring outside. It seems to seep in on the left side but...

1993 honda accord water leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 93 Accord I had a idling problem so I cleaned out the iacv(idle air control valve or module) and replaced some of the hoses, now I noticed I have a problem with water leaking in the spark plug cylinders could this be a head gasket?

P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System) [ 5 Answers ]

How much it cost to repair this on a 98 Honda Accord? P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System)

2005 Honda Accord Leaking Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Every time it rains, my 2005 Honda Accord gets swamped with water. The water appears to come in through the front driver's side door and builds up to the point where it floods into the carpet in the back seat. :mad: Honda has had my car 4 times now and, supposedly, is doing everything to solve...

View more questions Search