Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NovaKane1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2013, 04:21 PM
    I broke the cartridge puller screw inside of the cartridge stem how do I remove
    I bought a home depot cartridge puller screw inside the stem of my moen shower cartridge how do I remove the cartridge now
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 04:28 PM
    How did you manage to do that? Did you remove the little horse shoe clip before trying to remove the cartridge?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2013, 07:30 AM
    I wonder along with Harold just how did you break that screw? The only thing to do now.would be to put a set of bvice grips on the stem and pull that sucker out. Good luck, Tom
    NovaKane1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 09:20 AM
    I did remove the horse clip, but it seems as if the puller was so cheaply made when I was screwing it on I tighten it too much and it snapped off. I was thinking I could just get the small pipe cutter and cut about a 1/2 inch off the stem and maybe I can screw it out that way I can probably get a better puller. I seen some reviews and videos it shows that the puller just pulls the stem out and the cartridge is so tight in there I don't think a puller will work but I have to try. Any other suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Moen makes its own cartridge puller and they aren't cheaply made, Is this the one you purchased? Back to you. Tom
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Don't think you are going to get a pipe cutter on there. Suspect you are think of a tubing cutter not a pipe cutter. A true pipe cutter would be way to big to get on there. Tubing cutters are made for cutting copper which is fairly soft. That stem is some kind of brass or brass alloy which is quite hard.

I like Tom's suggestion, get a pair of vice grip pliers. The only thing that can be holding the cartridge in would be swollen "O" rings. If you can't pull the cartridge out with the vice grips, put the vice grips on the stem side ways. Put a block of wood between the vice grips and the wall. Hold the block of wood with one hand, hold the end of the vice grip handles with the other hand. Then with your third hand put a pry bar between the vice grips and the wood and pry the cartridge out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to R & R Glacier Bay faucet cartridge(stem)? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Glacier Bay Teapot 4" 2 handle bathroom faucet. There is a scraping noise when faucets are turned on/off. How do I remove cartridge to replace it?

Replace stem cartridge [ 1 Answers ]

Tried replacing stem cartridge in bath faucet. The handle locks but there is still water flow. What am I doing wrong?

I tried to remove the cartridge with broken stem with screw driver and replaced it wi [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to remove cartridge with broken off stem with much difficulty,I finally pried it out with a screw driver.I replaced it with new cartridge,but after opening for vave for water to come out the water leaks out and drips.what can I do to stop it. Thanks, Don

Changing clogged Kohler Cartridge Stem or cleaning out? [ 1 Answers ]

Any info or suggestions on changing out a "kohler cartridge stem" on tub faucet... would be greatly appreciated. This is an older tub faucet that water ran fine out of until this winter after a "semi-freeze" and after the line broke loose it has been clogged... maybe with calcium? So I am trying...

Drainage from cartridge stem [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had the cartridge replaced in my shower to fix a leak. The leak is gone, but after taking a shower, water drains out of the tip of the cartridge stem. I verified this by temporarily sealing the shower head. When covered, water stops draining from the cartidge stem and continues when...

View more questions Search