Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inGen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2013, 02:14 AM
    Is DNA cloning to create a dinosaur possible in future ?
    I'm no dinosaur expert though. But I have read both the Jurassic Park novels and I know that it is not possible to clone dino-organs from the DNA obtained through mosquitoes. The DNA sample from mosquitoes would contain mixed blood from a variety of dinosaurs of the Jurassic period. It is not possible to differentiate which DNA strand belongs to who. And it is not possible to create a dilophosaurus or a T-rex or a raptor within four years of time using machines and another lab equipments in present time. But, is it possible in the near future ? Would this the right way of craeting a dinosaur ? Would this be a right way of putting man and dinosaurs, two species separated by 65 million years, together ? Or is this way terribly wrong? Were dinosaurs destined to die during that period and are both these species not supposed to be allowed to put together in the same time-frame?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 9, 2013, 02:16 AM
    It's a work of fiction, but stranger things have indeed happened.
    Who's to say what exactly will be possible in the future, given enough research.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 02:40 AM
    Scientist are actually trying to do this, most conclude that because DNA has a life of less than 1000 years, it is not possible,

But then, read this story
    SCIENTISTS CLONE DINOSAUR! | Weekly World News

But then this
    Cloning Dinosaurs - Fact Or Hollywood Fiction? ~ Tech Senser
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 9, 2013, 07:36 AM
    The ethics of ALL cloning, all engineered life, all genetically modified organisms, is a complicated and ongoing discussion, that really has to be taken on a case by case basis, and even then is open to lots of argument.
    There is now argument that dinosaurs weren't really wiped out by the huge ash cloud and cold darkness after the meteor hit. It was more complicated, and possibly involved change in the weather and land (losing lots of swamps), and wasn't as instant as it appears. Cloning a large animal that would be unable to survive now anyway would just be a feat unto itself. And a woolly mammoth might be a lot more likely, given that they can still be found frozen.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2013, 12:18 PM
    National Geo. Did a recent issue on this topic. One of the most interesting comments (intersting to maybe me only) that came out of their discussion (and it may have been in a letter that followed in the next month's issue as folks typically write in to comment on the previous issue articles) but it was brought out that one of the missing ingredients for bringing back extinct species is the lack of adults of that species to nurture the newly created animals. Could man do the nurturing or would instinct be good enough?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    OK, just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding by readers of this thread, and given that the humor of Weekly World News may be a bit too subtle for some to get right away - the site is for "gag news." It's all made up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In DNA fingerprinting the DNA probe that is used is ________ to the DNA sequence of t [ 0 Answers ]

I am having a real hard time with this question I can't find it anywhere , please help . Here is the question : in the DNA fingerprinting the DNA probe that is used is ________________ to the DNA sequence of the repeats in the sample . Thank you .

When is dna required to change a minor name and how much is the dna? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am living in the state of NY, my ? Is how can I change my 2year old daughter name from my ex husband name to her biological fathers name, do we need a DNA and if yes can we do it through the court and does anyone know how much that is going to cost us?

DNA, can I get my brother to do a dna test to see if we have same father? [ 13 Answers ]

:confused::confused:I need to know who is my biological father, my mum has told me but I need confirmation. Now my brother has his own father but we are doubtful if he is mines or not. If I asked my brother to do a dna test would that tell me if he is my full brother or not??

What are the differences between human DNA and pig DNA. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to research the differences between human and pig DNA. I've had no luck finding any kind of information on this matter.

View more questions Search