Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheesyNZ Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2013, 04:03 PM
    Any advice on finding your passions or career interests?
    I have taken over 100 tests on careers, interests, personality, passions, skills, and still cannot pinpoint on something I would like to do. The results aren't bad per se but their something I either a) something I have no interest in b) some that I would might like to do but I'd have to go to school for too long and or C) don't have the aptitude for.

I'm only 3rd month in community college and right now and already feels like I'm wasting time.

I'm thinking about a trade or something and it brings me right back to the question, "Which one?" "Is their a growing demand?" "Will I be able to handle the classes/work?" stuff like that.

Then there is questions like," What do you like to do?" "What are your hobbies?"

The only thing I can think of is nothing, or I don't know.

I know I am making this huger then it should be but it's bugging the heck out of me that I don't know.

I think I might just going to copy all the degree programs offered into a random generator and choose whatever it picks. Haha

How did you pick ya'lls?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 07:23 PM
    What do you do, just sit at home and do nothing all day ?

Do you like to cook ?
    Do you life sports?

Do you like religion?

Cars?

It is just a matter of what you like to do, only you know that. But remember your "loves" change, I worked with in the Criminal Justice system for 20 years, and then went on to open a martial arts school, since I loved Martial arts.

Now I moved to China, since I love to travel, and teach here.

So what can you do, every day, for the next 10 or 20 years that will not seem like "WORK" what will be something you can look forward to do.

Aug 8, 2013, 09:10 PM
    Lol

Pretty much just sit home all day on the computer and do nothing.haha
    Don't care for cooking or sports nor cars but you are right only I can figure out what I like,

And to answer the last part I really don't know. I pretty much look forward to sleeping.

Living in china sounds pretty cool.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 09:18 PM
    After I raised two kids, I returned to work shelving books part-time in a public library while I got my act together, wondering if I wanted to go back into teaching. I got a part-time preschool teaching job at the school across the street from the library (same school where my kids went), decided I loved to work in a library, did those two things for three years, then got a temp job at a different public library, then stayed there for 25 years doing all sort of things.

Before I had kids, I taught school, worked in two different drugstores, worked at two different hospitals, worked in a religious bookstore, and worked at State Farm as a bodily injury secretary.

You may have to do the same -- try this and try that until you find your favorite place.

Aug 8, 2013, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    After I raised two kids, I returned to work shelving books part-time in a public library while I got my act together, wondering if I wanted to go back into teaching. I got a part-time preschool teaching job at the school across the street from the library (same school where my kids went), decided I loved to work in a library, did those two things for three years, then got a temp job at a different public library, then stayed there for 25 years doing all sort of things.

Before I had kids, I taught school, worked in two different drugstores, worked at two different hospitals, worked in a religious bookstore, and worked at State Farm as a bodily injury secretary.

You may have to do the same -- try this and try that until you find your favorite place.

That's true. That's a lot of work to figure out something but guess I have to haha. Well I guess it good I know where I wouldn't like to work.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesyNZ View Post
    That's true. That's alot of work to figure out something but guess I have to haha. well i guess it good I know where I wouldn't like to work.
    I used to think libraries were boring (even though I used them all through school), but that turned out to be my dream come true.

Aug 8, 2013, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I used to think libraries were boring (even though I used them all through school), but that turned out to be my dream come true.
    Nah, libraries could never be boring. How can you get bored in a library is what I think. Too much interesting stuff to read. Still wouldn't want to work in one though.
    Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 10:25 PM
    We get a lot of college graduates here, they come and teach english for a year or two, travel and then go back to US or Europe to start working.

My wife and I teach somewhat different, she does business and I do law and american customs and culture

Aug 9, 2013, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    we get a lot of college graduates here, they come and teach English for a year or two, travel and then go back to US or Europe to start working.

My wife and I teach somewhat different, she does business and I do law and american customs and culture
    Those college graduates do they enjoy teaching? That sounds pretty interesting and if I had the patience that would be something I'd do.

I don't really understand how they actually get the job.. I'll look it.
    Expert

Aug 9, 2013, 12:33 AM
    Some love to teach, others tollerate the 15 to 20 hours of teaching that we they do.

If you teach at University level, in the year you are here, you will get 6 weeks paid vacation between fall and spring semester, plus about 20 days holiday for various chinese holidays.

If you renew and stay another year, you also get a paid summer holiday of 6 to 8 weeks.

So it is more like a paid vacation, plenty of time to travel or do other work.

And so much depends on where you teach, most of the schools have chinese teachers that actually teach the english grammar, englsih writing, all the Americans or English do, is teach speaking, you talk to them, teach them how to do basic talking.

Again my classes are different, and my wife is even more different, in her classes, all students sign up and want the class, in spoken english, it is just a required freshman class. So only about 1/3 of the class even care about learning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career Advice [ 3 Answers ]

I did MBA ten years earlier but never got a job relevant to that.I have mostly Admin assistant job experience.Now I want to start my new career at age of 35, can any one advice how to start career and I am ready to start studies again?

Career advice [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so,I'm a 21yr old Indian; I have done my engineering in computer science and I realised a little too late that it is definitely not my thing.So I need some help and guidance as to what I could possibly pursue because I'm very confused at the moment.I have great communication and socializing...

Finding a new career at age 57 [ 1 Answers ]

After 15 years with a major corporation my family moved from Atlanta to Oshkosh Wi. I have had major difficulty finding a middle income job in Oshkosh. We are moving back to Atlanta in the summer and I am in a quandary as to what would be a practical trade, skill or business that I could enter as...

View more questions Search