Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Mar 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
    A/C on 97 Explorer blows warm/hot - aide mois!
    The A/C system on my 1997 Ford Explorer has been odd for some time. At one time it would only blow cold, regardless of where the controls were set. Now it will only blow hot/warm, even when on Max A/C.

Someone once fiddled about behind the dashboard through the opening of the glove compartment and changed it from one to the other. I am not bothered about getting heat - we live in Southern Arizona - but would like to have real cold air. The temperatures are in the high eighties and nineties and will soon head for the 100s, and above!

Last year the freon was recharged, but despite the high cost of that - $120.00 - it only blew a little cooler.

Can you suggest anything that I can do (or can have done) to get cold air coming out?

It is a 5.0 litre V8 engine Eddie Bauer special Explorer with 198,000 genuine miles on the clock, and runs as sweet as a nut.

Thank you for considering my plea.

M:)RGANITE - melting in Mesa!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Any Ford guys here? I'm guessing the heater contol head is messing up causing air mix/blend doors, and heater control valve to move in directions they shouldn't.
    Is this an Auto A/C system? Like I said, only guessing. I'm a Toyota guy.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Mar 26, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    Any Ford guys here?? I'm guessing the heater contol head is messing up causing air mix/blend doors, and heater control valve to move in directions they shouldn't.
    Is this an Auto A/C system? Like i said, only guessing. I'm a Toyota guy.
    Yes it is an auto A/C. all electronic. If there is an internal door, it is operated either by a motor or by a servo, but I don't know which or how, etc. The A/C pump is not noisy. Everything in the rig is quiet (except mytwo dogs!)

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiators hot but hot water from taps luke warm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, First of all I am novice.. a real novice when it comes to plumbing, so please be easy on me :) I hope someone can shed some light on this weird problem. I have a conventional boiler with a hot water tank in the bathroom and 2 tanks in the loft. The radiators in the house are fine, they...

Warm, not hot, shower [ 5 Answers ]

My problem is that when I turn the shower water control to the hot side, the water coming out is warm at best. Sometimes, with no rhyme or reason, the water gets hot. I have to leave the water run to get warm as it comes out cold first. I have a Moen single knob (controls hot and cold)...

Heater blows warm air but also cold [ 1 Answers ]

Our heater blows warm air out as it is supposed to, but also blows cold air out of the cold air return vents. Any idea on how to fix this short of replacing the system?

Why only warm water, not hot? [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled our master bathroom and had some real amateur jokers (not plumbers) do the work, They installed the new plumbing fixtures (faucets and a toilet) but now the shower does not get hot, it just gets warm. The sinks in the bathroom get quite hot but the shower does not. Also the...

Switch face gets warm; metal gets hot [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I recently wired up can lights in my basement. Each light is a 75 watt halogen bulb. There are 6 of them on the switch. There is a 15 amp breaker with 14 ga wire. The switch is one of those fancy 3-way dimmer switches with the green LEDs on the side that indicate the brightness of the...

View more questions Search