Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tocatchafire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Replacing single recep with duplex
    I've recently encountered in a small contracting job, a T-blade single receptacle located in the dining room of an older home. The customer would like to replace the single recep with the more common duplex. After inspecting, I noticed there was no power going to the single Recep, and it had originally been wired with a three conductor. I would assume the three wire conductor was connected to a 20A breaker in the panel. As I went to check the panel, I did not see any tripped breakers. I was also very confused to find such a device inside a residential family dining room. Perhaps the room was not originally intended to be for dining, but in find this unlikely due to its location next to the kitchen. It's an older home, easily from the 60's to early 70's. Could it be that the lack of power stems from the circuit being deleted at some point through the years? I still haven't taken the cover off the panel in attempts to locate which breaker it may lead to. I did, however, inspect a receptacle right next to it, which could easily appear to be on the same circuit. This duplex was wired with just a two conductor, which removed any doubt the two were connected. Would you advise to simply jump from the duplex to a newly installed duplex, in place of the current single recep?
    Thanks so much
    Cheers
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 05:52 PM
    I do not wish to be unkind but from your post I would say that this is far beyond your skill level. I can't really tell from your description what kind of receptical you are describing. It could be a 15/20 amp 120V receptical or it could be 15 or 20 amp 240V receptical. Most likely it is a 15 amp, 240V receptical installed for a room air conditioner at some time in the past.

However, you did chose an appropriate sign on name, "To Catch A Fire". That is very likely what will happen. In most locations you must be licensed to do electrical work for hire.
    Doing electrical work for hire carries a certain liability. If something happens people could get hurt and you could loose everything.

Let this one pass.
    tocatchafire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 08:51 PM
    Well actually, as it happens, I have an electrical license for the state of Texas. Granted,it is an apprentice license. I am nowever not embarrassed to admit that,nor would I ever make the mistake of misrepresenting myself to any potential customer. I have in fact received three years of quality education from a local union electricAl school, and I would like to think that I have learned a thing or two about electrical work in those three years. I do not often attempt to do any work by myself as this is a liability and could cause potential harmm to others. IMO, any journeymen that I've ever worked for would say that this is far below my skill level, and would be pleased that I sought their advice in order to advance my knowledge in the trade. That's what I was hoping to gain from posting on this site. I'm hoping that someone can offer me sometruly constructive input
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 09:55 PM
    I have in fact received three years of quality education from a local union electricAl school,
    And you can't describe receptacle by other than "T-blade".
    Look it up on the internet, there are pictures out there.

I would assume the three wire conductor was connected to a 20A breaker in the panel.
    Why would you assume that. The size of the breaker would be determined by the size of the wire.

inspect a receptacle right next to it, which could easily appear to be on the same circuit
    Well yes it could be, but why would it be? And if it were, the receptacles would be the same.

single Recep, and it had originally been wired with a three conductor
    No single receptical is going to be wired with 3 conductors unless you are talking about 3-phase. A 3 conductor cable may come to the box or even pass through it but the receptical will not be wired to a 3 conductor cable.

As I stated in the beginning I do not wish to be unkind but the way you wrote up your post indicates a lack of basic wiring knowledge.

Now if your question is can you put a duplex outlet in that box and power it from the other outlet. Certainly, if you can get the cable in.

PS
    I of course wouldn't know, but I doubt that the state of Texas permits an apprentice to do unsupervised work for hire.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
    I am going to agree with hkstroud on this one. If you can't trace this out and figure out why it is there or what it may be hooked to in the breaker box, you don't have enough experience to be doing this. Sorry but that is just a fact. There would be no reason for a single outlet to be wired to a regular duplex outlet. The theory that it may have been for an air conditioner is very possible and there should be some indication on the breaker box to confirm that. I have been at this for close to 40 years and I would have to trace and investigate it.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 03:40 AM
    that's what I was hoping to gain from posting on this site. I'm hoping that someone can offer me sometruly constructive input
    HK's was the most constructive input you could have gotten.
    I fully acknowledge that you will do what you want regardless of the warnings on an internet message board but that does not make it right. I also acknowledge that you'll keep asking around until you get just the answers you want as opposed to the right ones.

You are not ready to work in someone's home by yourself for money. Sorry, but it's the truth.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 06:23 AM
    First, when you say "3" wire cable do you mean a Black - White - Bare ground cable or do you mean a Black - Red - White - Bare ground cable? It is critical that we know this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a recep. That don't work [ 2 Answers ]

Bad recep. No voltage between black &white but 120v between black & ground what is wrong

HELP single mom lost job and need to convert a duplex to a single family home. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a little boro in pa own a duplex home have been renting upstairs for 5yrs when tenant moved out boro came in like storm troopers and gave me a dead sea scroll of impossible,ex.painting all decks and wood work out side in the winter.when tenants don't have use of yard.any way I had already...

Convert single fam home to duplex/rental [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking to purchase a home for my mother and her sister in Iowa, US. Mostly for personal reasons, but also some investment potential. The home would need to be a duplex or have separate apartments up and down. Most duplexes in my area are too large for their needs and financial means. One...

Issues when replacing single circuit breaker with duplex breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Westinghouse B20 2040CT Circuit Breaker Panel with a 200 amp main. I am remodeling my kitchen and would like to correct some of the current wiring problems I inherited when I purchased the house. A number of circuits are current heavily loaded and I want to take this opportunity to...

Replacing double kitchen single with single [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a double bowl 8 " deep stainless kitchen sink with single bowl fireclay 10 " deep under mount sink with sink drain offset to the right. Drain pipe into the wall is centered on the sink, the sink drain is 16" from the wall. Plan to use PVC. Can I exit the 3" deep sink drain with a 45...

View more questions Search