Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Aug 7, 2013, 05:04 AM
    Italian Cheesecake Recipe
    Hello, I have a recipe which I want to try, but I have a couple of questions, so here goes :-
    One of the ingredients is 1/2 cup of Cisco, I can't get this in my location and have read that I can substitute Coconut oil, which I have, as one is solid and the other liquid, do I still use 1/2 cup of coconut oil?
    The recipe states to use Plain flour, and includes a tsp of Baking Soda. I would normally use Self Raising flour when baking a cake, which is plain flour with Baking Powder added. I'm not sure if Baking Soda is the same as UK Baking Powder, or is it the same as Bicarbonate Soda, which is also sometimes used in cake baking. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2013, 05:10 AM
    Baking soda and bicarbonate soda are the same, baking powder is different. I really don't have a problem with switching flours but you can use a little bit of baking powder if you use flour that is NOT self rising. As far as the coconut oil I would use a little butter with it. Not sure if you should use the same amount or less. I never use margarine with baking it seems to give a watered down consistency.

Aug 7, 2013, 05:38 AM
    Thanks a lot for your very quick reply! I was going to use all butter but the recipe actually calls for 1 stick of Butter to be mixed with 1/2 cup of Crisco so wasn't sure what to do, maybe I'll try just a small amount of Coconut oil with the butter. I think I'll play safe with the flour and add a little bit of Baking powder as well. Thanks again :)
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2013, 05:39 AM
    They have butter flavored Crisco.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Baking powder contains baking soda mixed with corn starch to disperse it and sulfates to keep it from clumping. You should be OK whatever you use, but the soda is more concentrated.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2013, 07:10 AM
    I have noticed I can live without the baking powder unless I want what I am baking to be fluffy and rise more.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2013, 09:03 AM
    I agree, the sulfates must aid the bicarbonate in rising somehow?
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2013, 09:06 AM
    All I know us that baking powder makes the flour rise.

Aug 7, 2013, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Baking powder contains baking soda mixed with corn starch to disperse it and sulfates to keep it from clumping. You should be OK whatever you use, but the soda is more concentrated.
    Thank you, I'll give it a go and I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Italian immigration law- can an American become Italian based on bloodline [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I currently hold an American passport as I was born there in 1964. My father is Italian by birth and my grandparents the same. My mother is British. I left America in 1965 and have lived in the UK with both parents ever since. I have Indefinite leave to Remain. I do not hold British...

Reported post in: good italian dressing recipe? [ 1 Answers ]

Post: good italian dressing recipe? Posted by: curlybenswife Reason Given: It appears that more than one long-term member has been posting copies of original documents without providing any reference to the source. In this case, it seems that Curlybenswife posted a recipe from another...

Good italian dressing recipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I am sooo tired of the italian dressings in the grocery store. I rarely use italian dressing but when I do I shake the bottle and before I can even start to pour it the oil is already separated and back on the top. I end up with a hoagie full of oil and no dressing. I have to pour half the bottle...

Cheesecake for a dieter [ 22 Answers ]

I'm on a diet as many of you well know... I'm a FATTY, lol. :eek: I am madly in love with cheesecake, but I stay away because I'd eat too much and it would be a disaster. :o I love to cook, my question is this: Do you have any low fat or fat free cheesecake recipes that YOU would...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

View more questions Search