Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgates Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 12:01 PM
    ACG42G1 Condenser Unit
    When the condenser first starts there is a slight grinding noise. Fan spins as it should and the grinding goes away. Are the bearings going out in the motor? Unit is level and has been cleaned. There is maybe a quarter inch of free play in the shaft trying to slide it in and out.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Slight Grinding is usually not good, I would look to Grainger, Marcone, or other way to avoid high price, last minute buy.
    Be sure motor spins the right direction (up), swapping 2 wires will correct, be sure you get the capacitor for it, usually on nameplate.
    jgates Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Slight Grinding is usually not good, I would look to Grainger, Marcone, or other way to avoid high price, last minute buy.
    Be sure motor spins the right direction (up), swapping 2 wires will correct, be sure you get the capacitor for it, usually on nameplate.
    Thanks, my thoughts have been confirmed. I had already been searching Graingers site.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
    Go to your local HVAC contractor, they usually have all kinds of fans and motors around. Most are interchangeable as long as they are the same HP
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2013, 03:02 AM
    Are we sure the grinding is in the fan motor not the compressor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes a compressor to run backwards on a outside condenser unit model fmb1024 [ 4 Answers ]

Outside cond. Unit making a loud buzzing noise, I replaced the run cap, relay, and fan motor, everything seems to be working properly except the super loud buzzing noise, I made sure everything was tight no loose screws , I even put rubber sound absorbing pads under the unit and its still making a...

Condenser fan [ 0 Answers ]

2 ton only 3 wires I replaced cap exactly the way it should yet the motor is going backwards. Motor is bad right?

Outside AC condensor/compressor unit not coming on at all [ 7 Answers ]

My outside central AC condensor/compressor unit (a Lennox) is not turning on at all. When I switch on the thermostat, the blower in the basement starts running and air is coming through the vents, but the outside unit is not turning on at all, so there is no cool air. Is the likely problem a...

Condensor/Capicitor Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Air Condenser Model #539GN060-A and I needed to replace the motor in it along with the capacitor. (I've done this before in another unit and got it to work just fine) So I found the right replacement motor and got it to work just fine using the old capicitor. The problem I am...

Condenser tries to start occasionally [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a tech w/certification but little field experience. I have central a/c condensing unit that hasn't been in use for 2 years. No refrigerant in system so I partially charged it. Replaced capacitor. Tested contactor and compressor terminals (got readings of about 1, 3, and 4) and both good. ...

View more questions Search