Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SMHood74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 09:47 AM
    Is there any assistance for a 38 y/o widow that has a child?
    My husband passed in October 2012 and as I am not old enough to collect his SS until I am 62 I am finding it hard to make ends meet. I have FT job and have applied for food stamps (was found not eligible since it is just my son and I) I did however get fuel assistance. But I am still having difficulties since all my bills are the same as they were before my husband passed. And now I am paying all my bills on half the income I had before he passed. Is there any thing out there that may help me??
    SMHood74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Forgot one thing my son is my husbands step son and he did not qualify for any SS either
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Where are you located? Country, state, city?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Call and ask these same questions at --

Your county's human services office
    Catholic Charities
    Lutheran Social Services
    Area churches
    Your township office
    The reference desk at your local library
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Welfare and Salvation Army, United Way, all these have names of places that can help you with things like food banks, clothing, utilities,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2013, 01:02 PM
    The fact that you were turned down for food stamps is puzzling. It implies that your income really is enough for you and your son to live on. If you want to tell us what income/expenses are for you on the broad scale, maybe we can come up with ideas. You are anonymous here.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 01:11 PM
    Food stamps cut off is something like if you make $18,000. A year household of 2 you are not eligible
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2013, 01:38 PM
    It goes by state. In my state, CT, it's over $25,000 for a family of 2.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 01:49 PM
    Yeah I figured it was probably up a bit more since the last time I got it. $25,000. That's about less than $2,100. A month to live off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating a widow with a young child [ 15 Answers ]

I am 24 and I’m dating a man who is 30. We met 5 months ago through mutual friends. At the time we were both casually dating a couple of other people. We started slowly, seeing each other about every 2 weeks. After 2 months, he asked if I’d be willing to only see him. At first we’d just see...

In need of assistance child custody [ 7 Answers ]

My ex wife abandoned my daughter in October of 2007 and she lives with me fulltime I filed for custody in nov 2007 and got to court in dec 2008 they still have not ruled Now my ex wife in Florida has abandoned my son 11 and I need to file some kind of emerges motion Can anyone help

Ex died owing $5000 child support. Widow refuses to pay! [ 19 Answers ]

My exhusband died in July 2006 owing $5000 in past-due child support. I had case with Child support enforcement before he died. Tax offset dept withheld his federal refund. Lady from CSE called & told me I would get my money faster if I withdrew my case & let Tax offset mail refund to widow who...

Foster child needs assistance [ 5 Answers ]

This is a long story, I will try to cut it short for all of you. Thank you in advance for any help or advice! We fostered a boy (14) The first month was great, then the honeymoon stage left all together, meaning his true colors started showing very rapidly. From getting angry when we said no,...

View more questions Search