Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paulmo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Calling creditors
    I am on social security disability and have lots of debt. I have quit paying the creditors. Should I call all of them and let them know that even if I get a judgement against me I only have social security as my only income. I do not own a home
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 12:52 PM
    You are better off informing them and banks that your money being SSD they probably can't garnish it out of your account. They can not or at least Should not be doing that until they take you to court or get your permission.
    Paulmo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    You are better off informing them and banks that your money being SSD they probably can't garnish it out of your account. They can not or at least Should not be doing that until they take you to court or get your permission.
    they cannot take social security period
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 01:05 PM
    They can and will try.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Oh Yeah you're the one that decided to Cash the check no matter what.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2013, 01:06 PM
    First, we've told you this before, while they can't garnish your SS payments, they can attach your bank accounts and it will be on you to prove the source of the accounts. Once money is deposited, it doesn't matter to the creditor where its from.

Secondly, you never ignore a creditor. You can tell them that you have no assets or income other than SS and you can't afford to pay.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2013, 04:45 PM
    For your information about Social Security Benefits

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT
    The Ghost Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
    Yes, I agree. I would call them and let them know your situation. They will still keep calling unless you send them all cease and desist letters. Sometimes you just can't pay. It is what it is. Try not to stress about it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Just a little background on the OP:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/credit...of-760738.html
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Yes he is the one that wants to run up credit and expects not to pay back ''due to bad credit anyway''
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 09:16 PM
    And that is and can be an exemption to the garnishment of the social security, if there is criminal charges, and his posts on this site is enough evidence to prove intent.

Then if it is considered criminal gain, that court can get your social security money.

And to be honest, hope they do, anyone that wishes to commint fraud needs to be caught

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creditors calling my work [ 1 Answers ]

How can I stop a creditor from calling my work, he is threatening to tell my employer my situation

Chapter 7 what if you still get creditors calling [ 7 Answers ]

If you are still waiting for your discharge papers and some collectors are still sending you letters what should you do?

Creditors calling at work [ 3 Answers ]

I have notified the agency previously, via fax and it is noted in their system not to contact me at work. The representative stated that the account was past due and they had no other way to contact me. Do they still have the right to harrass me on my job regardless of the status of my account?...

Creditors calling at work [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anything I can do if I have already instructed a company not to contact me at work and they do anyway?

View more questions Search