Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bacho111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 06:05 PM
    Termination of Child Support for 23 y/o
    My cousin is paying child support for his son who is 23. My son and I live in New York. The mother lives in Puerto Rico but her whereabouts are unknown. The judge keeps insisting the mother has to be present to terminate the order. My son doesn't receive anything from her and he is over the age, what can I do to stop it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 06:20 PM
    "My cousin is paying child support for his son who is 23. My son and I live in New York. The mother lives in Puerto Rico but her whereabouts are unknown. The judge keeps insisting the mother has to be present to terminate the order. My son doesn't receive anything from her and he is over the age, what can I do to stop it?"

Have I got this right? Your cousin is paying child support to a 23-year old, apparently directly in Puerto Rico because no one knows where the mother is.

Your son doesn't receive anything from the woman whose son lives in Puerto Rico because the Judge demands that she be present in a NY Court and, as you said, no one knows where she is.

I see no connection between the two problems - what am I missing?

If the 23-year old is receiving child support by Court Order the father goes back to Court to stop it and presents PROOF that the mother cannot be found. Notification is then published in a newspaper.
    Bacho111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 06:25 PM
    No, that is not right. The support gets direct deposited into an account for the mother in Puerto Rico. The mailing address attached to the account is a PO Box and therefore cannot be served. The 23 y/o tried to speak to the judge and the judge ordered him to be quiet. The son does NOT want the support.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho111 View Post
    No, that is not right. The support gets direct deposited into an account for the mother in Puerto Rico. The mailing address attached to the account is a PO Box and therefore cannot be served. The 23 y/o tried to speak to the judge and the judge ordered him to be quiet. The son does NOT want the support.
    An order can be generated to find out who owns the PO box. You can find out from there where to send the papers. Also you could hire a private investigator and find out where the person is.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Your cousin's son (your first cousin once removed) is age 23 and doesn't want the support.

This young man's mother, apparently in Puerto Rico somewhere, cannot be located.

I don't understand what the fact that you and your son live in New York has to do with anything.

I understand that New York allows child support to the age of 21, but is this going to go on until the kid is an old man? Your cousin needs to get an attorney who can straignten this out. Service by publication is a possibility.

Also, as Cdad suggested, your cousin can find out more information on the post office box.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 08:12 PM
    My cousin is paying child support for his son who is 23. My son and I live in New York. The mother lives in Puerto Rico but her whereabouts are unknown. The judge keeps insisting the mother has to be present to terminate the order. My son doesn't receive anything from her and he is over the age, what can I do to stop it?
    There is noting YOU can do to stop it. This is between the parents and the court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support termination ny [ 1 Answers ]

Iam a noncustodial parent whose child has turned 18 and has come to live with me by choice. He has stated that he does not want to live with his other parent. CanI have the support order terminated

Child support termination [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. My stepson just turned 18. The child support ordered is being terminated because his mom did not turn in proper documentation that he is in school. We have just been told that if she now turns in proper documents my husband will owe back support. Is this correct? He was told the best thing to...

Child Support Termination [ 1 Answers ]

Support ends in Louisiana at what age.

Termination of child support [ 10 Answers ]

I have 3 children. One is 21 and in the Air Force, one is 18 and just graduated high school, and the youngest is 17 and will graduate next year. My ex wife contends that when suport was ordered, that it must remain in effect until ALL 3 graduate and or turn 18. My support was entered as 250 a...

Child support termination [ 6 Answers ]

In 1998 my ex-wife divorced me. I was never served with divorce papers but my signature appears on the service form. Obviously this was forged. In the divorce I have been ordered to pay child support. I found out about the divorce when I received a garnishment letter in the mail from the...

View more questions Search