Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakasmizo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 12:39 PM
    How do I ask my girlfriend to stop talking about her past?
    Giving the Readers Digest version, I am late 20s with a 5 year old daughter. I own my own restaurant that is one year old, and spend a lot of time there ensuring that it is run smoothly in the infancy of the business. I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend (early mid 20s) for 6 months. I love her dearly and have so much fun with her.

Our three issues are obviously my daughter, the restaurant and her constantly talking about the past. My daughter and the restaurant I knew we would not always see eye to eye on, and that is acceptable, but the thing that bothers me the most is here constant need to talk (in front of me) about her past.

Whether it is joking with friends, or posting things on Facebook, such as screen shots of conversations with her friends about how she forgot what her prom dress looked like her junior year. Her friend replied " that was the year of name of her ex, you should remember it as being drunk riding around in his truck :)"

I have had several conversations with her about this and how it hurts my feelings to no avail. She continues on a weekly basis bringing it up, or as I feel, throwing it in my face. She recently asked me to move in with her in her newly purchased house and I said we need to give it a few months. My hold up is how and I focus on OUR future when she is constantly reliving the past?

Am I wrong to think this? What should I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 12:45 PM
    If you have expressed your feelings and she has ignored them she is, at best, being disrespectful. You, of course, cannot control what her friends post/say.

I'd be concerned about the disrespect and total disregard for your feelings.

On the other hand, are you being oversensitive? I also dated "other people." I can't change that.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Talking about your past is normal to an extent. Ask her how she would feel if you brought up past events with ex's on a daily basis. If she is doing this while you are running your business you need to tell her that that definitely has got to stop. Tell her you are not ready to move in while her past is in the way. You feel it would be too crowded
    jakasmizo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 02:24 PM
    I have asked her to place herself in my shoes and she says she would feel the same way as me. I agree that it is OK to an extent, but not several times a week or even once a week. Thanks for your reply.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Maybe Its going to take you making comments like I remember a time when ________ would. __________ and __________.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 02:57 PM
    I think that six months of knowing her, is not enough to move you and your daughter into her home.

Not to mention you have already a serious issue about her bringing up her past.

I have been married 37 years this past July 17th, and I STILL hear about my husband's past. We both have friends that go back to primary school, and in fact, still keep in touch with many from our pasts.

Be careful that there isn't some jealousy going on there from you.

I know that even the funniest stories of my husband's escapades- when a woman was mentioned- it got my girdle in a knot.

I think that time will assure you that she is just a person who likes to talk about her past life, and when time moves on for the two of you, your lives together will be that much, or more, meaningful in the long run.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 03:50 PM
    This is what I hinged my answer on:

"I have had several conversations with her about this and how it hurts my feelings to no avail. she continues on a weekly basis bringing it up or as i feel, throwing it in my face. she recently asked me to move in with her in her newly purchased house and i said we need to give it a few months. my hold up is How and i focus on OUR future when she is constantly reliving the past? am i wrong to think this? what should i do?"

Hurts his feelings? Throws it in his face?

Agreed - do not bring a child into this household.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 05:53 PM
    Never ignore the red flags you are seeing be it her fault, or yours, because they do come back to bite you and grow in annoyance. Keep dating in perspective, have fun, but without those deep long term commitments, or high hopes. Much too soon to expose your daughter to someone you are not sure of after 6 months. Much more to learn and see if you can get used too.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 06:02 PM
    If she has any problems with your life, as in your daughter and your restaurant, you should reconsider this relationship. Also, you should not expose your child to every woman you date. Moving in with her after 6 months is not good parenting. Your daughter should be the center of your world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend won’t stop talking to her ex [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help because I am just so lost right now and I don’t have anyone to ask for help. My girlfriend won’t stop talking to her ex. Well I’ve been with my girlfriend for 3 month (I know it’s not long we started in AUG), we been talking for 2 ½ months prior to us dating (JUN). She been in a...

Why will my ex girlfriend care if I stop talking to her [ 8 Answers ]

So my ex girlfriend says that it hurts her that I'm trying to stop talking to her? And it leaves me?? So anyone can please help me out lol

Girlfriend won't stop talking to her ex [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend are having a really hard time right now we have been dating for a year and a half and it is getting bad like I think we are both about fed up with each other which is hard because I am deeply in love with her and I feel she is with me. We recently split up because I messed up...

My girlfriend won't stop talking to her ex [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend won't stop talking to her ex Well I've been with my girl for 8 months. I'm 23 she's 22. She had 6 months that she hadn't been in a relationship but that relationship was 4 years long. Well we became boyfriend and girlfriend. The problem is her ex! he now realizes what he lost...

Girlfriend won't stop talking to ex [ 16 Answers ]

You guys have probably seen this question a million times, but I feel I should ask it anyway I recently got a girlfriend, it's been about 3 weeks. The only problem is that she talks to her ex constantly. He lives about 4 states away, and there's a reasonably good chance he's never coming here...

View more questions Search