Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xqqmeplz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Re-establish Parental Rights
    I have 4 siblings in my custody, the mom and dad have both voluntarily relinquished their parental rights. Mom would now like to get the kids back. I would like to help mom what can we do? She signed off on them in February and we live in Nebraska. Can anyone help me?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 06:40 PM
    Are you guardian, foster parent or have you adopted? What were the circumstances that they relinquished rights? Has their situation improved? Was CPS involved? How old are the kids?
    xqqmeplz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    are you guardian, foster parent or have you adopted? What were the circumstances that they relinquished rights? Has their situation improved? Was CPS involved? How old are the kids?
    We are the foster parents, it is an adoptive placement. CPS was involved, they were removed from dad's home and place with mom with a 24/7 in place. The kids were each removed one by one because of their behaviors.

Mom has since gotten a job and appears to be stable. I was her Family Support Worker while she was going through all of this and I did some of her visits I know she can handle the kids, especially now that they have been living with my husband and I and their behaviors have all calmed down and I would be willing to work with mom to establish rules and stuff for her to follow so she can get them back. She is very willing to work with me. The kids are 15, 13, 11 & 8.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 10:17 AM
    " I was her Family Support Worker :

This sets off alarms in my head - definitely not allowed in NY. Workers cannot interact to this extent with clients. I don't understand your confusion when you are a trained social worker.

I would do nothing without the involvement of a GAL.

How many times can these children be moved back and forth, pre-adoptive placement or not - before someone begins to be concerned about their emotional development.

If we were talking puppies here I MIGHT understand things.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Just one thing I'm not understanding since CPS IS involved aren't these things for the higher ups to answer? How does OP just decide
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 11:20 AM
    One of several statements that don't make sense - foster parents don't just decide, "Well, okay, Mom can handle things now ..." - at least not in my State!
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 11:25 AM
    Same here once CPS cuts off parents or in the process nobody can just decide they feel like giving parents another chance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
    And parents don't voluntarily relinquish their rights. Only a court can terminate parental rights. What does "adoptive placement" mean? If the children were placed with you pending adoption, then the parental rights were not terminated until the adoption become final.

They may have signed over custody, but I doubt if they relinquished their parental rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sign over parental rights to keep from having my rights terminated legally [ 2 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of child abuse and awaiting my turn in court to prove my innocence. In the meantime the local dhs is trying to terminate my rights and split all of my children up. Can I give my parental rights to a close friend ?I live in Iowa

Dead beat dad rights ? NJ, Child Abadonment, Removing parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

A little background on my situation. I had a child at 17 yrs old with an 18 yr old guy. I left the father when my son was 6 months old due to physical abuse. It was not safe for my child. He has only seen our son a hand full of times since then, and not at all in the past 4 years. I do...

Where do I go to get paperwork to establish paternal rights'? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Tucson, Arizona. I know it is downtown but we are not sure where to go or what paperwork we need.

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

View more questions Search