Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbwolf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Concrete Pad for Hot Tub
    I need to construct a concrete pad for a hot tub. I need the top of the concrete pad to be 18" above ground level to fit into the deck plan properly. I plan to dig about a foot into the ground to avoid the majority of any frost heaving (we're 25 miles north of Philly, PA). I will use six inches of crushed stone that get compacted, but my question is, do I pour 24 inches of concrete, or somehow build-up the inner area and only pour the 4-6 inches that is recommended for the hot tub? Any advise?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 26, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbwolf
    I need to construct a concrete pad for a hot tub. I need the top of the concrete pad to be 18" above ground level to fit into the deck plan properly. I plan to dig about a foot into the ground to avoid the majority of any frost heaving (we're 25 miles north of Philly, PA). I will use six inches of crushed stone that get compacted, but my question is, do I pour 24 inches of concrete, or somehow build-up the inner area and only pour the 4-6 inches that is recommended for the hot tub? Any advise?
    Is the H tub going to be recessed into the compacted rock? Is any access needed to the underside of the tub for jets, electrical, pipe repair etc. Is the tub free standing or have a lip?

Mar 27, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Thanks for getting back to me. The hot tub is free standing, and will sit on top of the concrete pad. I will have the access I need for the access panel as I've made a removable section of the deck to get to this area. The main question is about how to construct the concrete pad. Pour 24"? or dig a footer around the perimeter and somehow build up the center area and only pour about 6"?

Mar 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
    I wonder why it can't be bond beam posted without having to deal with grade buildup and at least a 3" slab. Concrete is going for a C per yard in some areas. You won't need to remove that heavy decking panel for access. Two 2x8 girders across pier beam posting will support a ton. Then just frame lattice under a rim joist trim. Unless there is a dry rot worry... nm
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Mar 28, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Calculate total weight then use nmwirez idea, 1 gal of water weights 8.33 lbs, assume average weight for adults at 150-170lbs, then the weight of the hot tube. My 4-5 person tub is about 36 inches off ground on a deck, it is supported by deck and by additional supports right under it.. 2 sets of doubled 2x10's beams and 4x4's posts.
    I am in NYS frost line per code is 36 inches. Get below the frost line it can move anything.

Mar 29, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Thanks, but I can't seem to get anybody to answer my actual question. I'm not asking about using girders, I'm asking about concrete. Does anybody know if it's a problem to pour 21" of conrete for a pad that's about 7' x 8'?

Mar 29, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Thanks, but I can't seem to get anybody to answer my actual question. I'm not asking about using girders, I'm asking about concrete. Does anybody know if it's a problem to pour 21" of conrete for a pad that's about 7' x 8'?

Sure you can do a direct pour, but if the grade is not compacted and drained properly, that thick slab will compact moist soil conditions even more under the combined slab and hot tub full of water weights. You will have a harder time trying to re-level or shim up the tub at a later time. Nm
    jimbobcooley Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 08:35 AM
    You can pour a footing around the edge of where you want the slab to be. Then either pour a concrete wall around the perimeter up to 4" from the elevation that you want the hot tub or make it out of cinder blocks. (If you go a foot into the ground then want 18” above, the walls will be 2.5ft high minus the thickness of the slab on top.) Fill the area inside the square "box" that you've made with compacted dirt. Pour a 4" slab on top of the structure and put your hot tub on top.

You need to make sure that you compact the dirt very well to prevent voids and settlement that will lead to cracking of the top slab. Be sure to compact the natural ground below the crushed stone thoroughly as well as the crushed stone.

If you decide to pour the walls I would go at least 6" thick with some steel reinforcement. It may be easier to use cinder blocks, which would also need some reinforcement. Either should work fine though.

JB

Mar 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
    JB is spot on for saving concrete and the center fill design. If cinderblock is used, run rebar horizontal with cement filler. For 6" top slab pour bend rebar risers in to slab top area also. This is still going to be a heavy support compared to girder method so as jimbobcooley says... compact, compact to reduce settling. Nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub Installation on Concrete Slab [ 16 Answers ]

I am going to be installing a tub in my basement on a concrete slab. I currently have a tub drain piple sticking out of the concrete about 12 inches and capped off. The concrete around the pipe looks like it was poured after the slab was because it is rough and uneven, unlike the even cement...

Breaking up concrete for tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

The basement tub enclosure rough in is in the wrong location and I need to move the stub out diagonally about 5 feet. The concrete is about 6" thick. What do you recommend as the preferred approach to break up the concrete. Saw or Jackhammer? I have never used either tool. Thanks in advance for...

Installing shower or tub on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

mattp New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Posts: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search