Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise1960 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Twisted vein or hernia?
    My mom has been complaining about this pain she has in her groin. She is 79 years old. She was told by 1 doctor that it was a vein. And that was all. Since then her doctor retired. She has a new doctor and her new doctor said it might be a hernia. She doesn't think so. She says it feels like the vein is twisted. She has a lot of pain. Sometimes she can't move. She can't twist around. She can't do anything. Do you know what this might be?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 11:39 AM
    Has her new doctor examined her or done any tests?

Aug 3, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Yes, she wanted to her to see another doctor, for hernia. She didn't go. She said she thinks her first doctor was right when she told her it was a vein. My mom is not about to many tests.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Saying 'it's a vein' is meaningless. Yes, major vessels go down each leg right at the groin, the femoral arteries and veins. There is an opening for those vessels in the fascia (connective tissue) that holds the abdomen in, but sometimes a pouch of bowel escapes and goes down through that opening and down the inner thigh. That's a femoral hernia. Sometimes it bulges outward and sometimes it bulges internally and can't be detected.

Your mother may or may not have a hernia. I had the same pain 35 years ago and was operated on and didn't have one! 30 years later I found out that the pain was from my sacral nerves, that wrap around from the sacro-iliac to the front of the abdomen and branch out to the pubis, bladder, bowel, and that painful spot at the groin.

Good luck getting diagnosed. I had zero help from the medical profession for 35 years, and a chiropractor knew what it was immediately. That's ME, not her, of course.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by louise1960 View Post
    Yes, she wanted to her to see another doctor, for hernia. She didn't go. She said she thinks her first doctor was right when she told her it was a vein. My mom is not about to many tests.
    Been there, done that with both a stubborn mother and an even more stubborn mil. Of course, her retired doctor has nothing to do with her situation any longer, so she is going to have to continue to be in pain or maybe see another doctor (at least) for a checkup and maybe a test or two to figure out what this is and get it fixed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
    She just can't diagnose herself and even if it is a twisted vein, this is a condition where veins become weak and the blood,pools causing the vein to twist. It still has to be seen to.

Aug 4, 2013, 07:47 PM
    What kind of tests are there she should be tested for?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by louise1960 View Post
    what kind of tests are there she should be tested for?
    I'm guessing a sonogram for one test.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 08:04 PM
    Sonogram and/or doppler studies would be first order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Twisted [ 7 Answers ]

4 year ugly custody battle for my daughter her father wins full custody after years of slander,lies, manipulation and betrayal! I am 23 of course I have had my faults of course Imade mistakes but I'm a great motheri take care of two kids currently that aren't my biological children but still I'm...

Twisted Sister! [ 1 Answers ]

Only a third of the people in the US will get this joke. Only about 1% of people in other countries will get this joke. Only half of you will get this far. All of statistics are just made up. ... ok, so here goes: The year is 2016 and the United States has just elected the first woman...

Very twisted, yet peaceful [ 17 Answers ]

OK, I was in an abusive marriage for 5 years. My husband was basically the cycle of abuse to the hilt! During my twisted marriage, I reconnected with one of my friends from high school (a guy). My husband encouraged this relationship and would tell me to call my friend when he did not want to deal...

Update about my twisted ex [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I took the advice I got on here and ran with it. I got a really good lawyer in the small town I live in and started fighting back. I told him I would take a drug test if needed and would even do the psych evaluation. I told my lawyer about how controlling and possessive he is and about how he...

Twisted Ex [ 6 Answers ]

Can my soon to be ex husband have me ordered to take a drug test during our divorce? He is trying to make me out to be a bad mom so he can get custody of our son so he is trying every thing possible to do it. (I am not a drug user by the way) He is also going to try and have me ordered to have a...

View more questions Search