Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 11:14 AM
    Sulphur Smell In Water
    The shop that I rent for my car business has a well. When I run the water, I get a sulphur smell out of it. I am not real concerned as I only use this water for washing cars, using the toilet, watering plants, and washing my hands once in a while. Any kind of drinking water is from a bottle.

The smell wasn't there over the winter but I am getting it now within the last few months. What causes this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Well water smells like sulphur because of the high iron content
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 04:35 PM
    Hi Odin77

Iron reducing bacterium and the right water conditions can make a favorable environment for sulpher reducing bacterium to thrive... end result is a hydrogen sulfide gas and that "egg" smell you notice.

The landlord can look into "SHOCKING" the well (chlorination of the well). You may want to investigate a little more by googling this stuff... ;)

Mark
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 06:04 PM
    Thanks for the answer. The smell is annoying at times but I can live with it. Like I said, the water isn't consumed so it's really not that important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulphur smell from water [ 2 Answers ]

If I have a sulphur smell what type of anode rod should I go to

Will 150 degree water take the sulphur smell out [ 1 Answers ]

We have terrible rotten egg odor from ourhot water tank. The anode has been taken out. Till we get a new water heater will turning up the heat to 150 degrees take the smell out/

Sulphur smell coming out of cold water faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I have a sulphur smell coming out of my cold water faucet. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Strong sulphur smell from all the cold water faucets in my condo! [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought this condo, it has'nt been used in a few years.. There is a very strong sulphur smell when I turn on the cold water faucets... Strangely the hot water side of it is fine.. even though the water heater is not technically working! This is a condominium comminity and not on well water as...

Sulphur smell well water . [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As I said in my previous question, I finally got the well working. Initially the water was quite dirty and now it cleared up but still has strong sulphur smell. Could anyone tell me the reason? I am in Pinellas county, Florida. I will fill the swimming pool with the well water. Is there...

View more questions Search