Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lepaju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Prorating rent
    I moved to PA and I couldn't move into my house until the 12th of the month cause the landlord wasn't done with it and she won't prorate the rent can she do that or is there a law for this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 07:20 AM
    Were you able to move your belongings in? Is there a lease?
    lepaju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 07:24 AM
    Wasn't able to move anything in until the 12th and there is a lease
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2013, 07:38 AM
    What is the effective date of the lease? It should not take effect until you could take possession.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 07:58 AM
    Unless the lease specifies that you cannot move in until the 12th but you will pay the full months rent anyway, I would only pay the pro-rated portion. If they have a problem with that, let them sue you. I suspect the court will agree.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 09:29 AM
    I would negotiate - unless you want to start your tenancy with very bad feelings and possibly an eviction.

What does the landlord say about rent paid/no occupancy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prorating rent for first month [ 9 Answers ]

Ok... here's the situation. The apartment is in Charlotte, NC (Mecklenburg County). The complex is designed for college students. 4 bedroom apartments with each occupant having a separate yearly lease. The lease started on the 17th of the month, but the landlord states that a full month must be...

Prorating Rent when on a month to month basis [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a pro-rated amount back from a landlord since I was on a month to month basis and gave over 30 day notice to vacate. The pro-rated my rent at the beginning of the lease. I paid the last month in full on good faith and only stayed 10 days of the beginning of the month. Should...

Prorating rent at beginning of lease [ 1 Answers ]

I am aware that a landlord can refuse to prorate rent once someone has signed a contract to pay through a certain time, but can a landlord refuse to prorate at the beginning of a lease? I am moving into an apartment on September 10th, and the receptionist said something about prorating only...

Prorating rent [ 4 Answers ]

My lease is up for my apartment on August 12, but I have to pay a full months rent and I'm only going to be there for 12 days. And the landlord refuses to prorate the rent. But if I renew my lease then I can stay there without paying twice. But I plan to move out by the 12th, is it legal for the...

Non-prorating insurance on roofs? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a relative in Georgia who recently suffered some roof damage. She went out and obtained 3 bids from licensed contractors to repair the damage and had her insurance adjuster come out to survey the damage. All three contractors indicated that full replacement was necessary. However...

View more questions Search