Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb1508 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 09:36 PM
    HIPAA Rules in the Workplace
    I work in a nursing home where they use video cameras in public areas, hallways, dinning rooms, nurses stations etc. not in patient rooms. My question, is I recently found out from another coworker that the DON has video feed in her private home. He knows this because He works the 11p-7a shift and has received calls from her and been talked to during his work hours from her about something the CNA's are doing or have done. Is having a video feed to her home a Hippa violation?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
    Does this person run the place and wants to make sure there are no problems by start?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 11:21 PM
    * by staff
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2013, 01:13 AM
    No, it's not a HIPAA violation.

Aug 1, 2013, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    No, it's not a HIPAA violation.
    Thank You that's what I wanted to know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:27 AM
    This is not a violation, in fact residents can be monitored if not recorded and viewed only by staff members who have the need to do so.

Aug 1, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Does this person run the place and wants to make sure there are no problems by start?
    She is 2nd in command the 1st being the Administrator. She keeps herself very aware of every thing that happens. Thank You for responding. joypulv answered my question.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:32 AM
    I'm glad your question was answered. I just want to let you know that it is HIPAA, not hippa.

And, I'm not certain this isn't a violation. It would depend on where she views the video feed. Is it in a private office or in a place where anyone can view it?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 06:35 AM
    I am thinking she may want to make sure that the staff is not doing anything such as abusing the patients. Like J_9 said it would depend on the confidentiality of how she is going about this.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:44 AM
    You will have to find out if she has the permission from the Administrator for this video feed.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:46 AM
    The OP said "the DON has video feed in her private home." So she can monitor things when she is not on the premises?
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Yes, that's what they said. I think she may be not trusting a staff member or something or she is a control freak that takes her job seriously home at the end of the day.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:56 AM
    DON = Director of Nursing, for those that don't know.

To have a home video feed would mean that there had to be approval at an upper level.

I'm not sure about nursing homes, as I work in a hospital, but I do see a potential problem with this, however I'm really not sure how to advise further.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2013, 09:27 AM
    The problem, of course, is whether the video feed is secured within the private home. If the DON lives alone and the feed is protected via a secure VPN channel etc. Then it should be OK.

But, if someone unauthorized was able to view this feed then the DON and the home could be in trouble. There are standards for securing such that need to be adhered to.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2013, 09:49 AM
    I can't see a video feed being set up in a home without the knowledge of the admin.
    I imagine it would take some doing, electronically.
    As the question was presented, I can't see a violation.
    The DON would have to be really unaware of policy and law, even before HIPAA existed, to allow random people access to the video.
    Basically WHERE the video is viewed isn't what's important ('private home') as how secure it is. It can have the same problems as it would in an office at the nursing home.
    Also this is way off the reason for HIPAA, which is to protect patient information.
    Employees don't have those rights.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2013, 10:05 AM
    I can't see a video feed being set up in a home without the knowledge of the admin.
    I imagine it would take some doing, electronically.
    It is possible that the feeds are being posted to a WEB site that is accessible from the Net. The DON could have the URL and password, but only permission to use it on premises.

Basically WHERE the video is viewed isn't what's important ('private home') as how secure it is. It can have the same problems as it would in an office at the nursing home.
    Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. But, being in a private home, the DON's family could have access if not properly secured. And that could present a violation.

Also this is way off the reason for HIPAA, which is to protect patient information.
    Employees don't have those rights.
    But, if the videos show patients on the premises, that would be an issue.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
    The DON, or director of nursing has carte blanch if the patients and staff are her responsibiliy.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The DON, or director of nursing has carte blanch if the patients and staff are her responsibiliy.
    That's what I was wondering with my 1st question where is she on chain of command and rights?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Let me rephrase. The line of authority in privately owned nursing homes is no.1 the owner no.2 the DON. If she does have access it is a bonus. They are making sure there is no abuse or theft.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Yeah I meant thank you for explaining, what I was pretty much thinking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Rules in the Workplace [ 1 Answers ]

HR has instituted new form to give to MD for clearance to return to work. The form lists MD diagnosis of health problem treated. The employee must have the MD complete the form and return to HR before returning to work. Is this a violation of my privacy if I do not want my condition for being...

HIPAA Rules in the Workplace [ 2 Answers ]

Can medicine punch cards containing resident names be disposed of in a garbage compactor at a nursing home. This is not an open dumpster. The garbage is compacted and then hauled to a landfill and covered.

HIPAA violations in the workplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse and am employed by a large chain of rehab/skilled nursing facilities. I recently resigned and stated in my resignation the I appreciated the opportunity and experience the facility provided me but I had accepted a better offer. It was brought to my attention that another nurse in a...

Hipaa workplace [ 2 Answers ]

Privacy act family hippa? I am a RVO Sales and my daughter got caught up in drugs pretty bag. We sent her to two of the best care facilities we could find and after 120 days she came home. She is 6 months sober and doing well. Mr Sr V. P told me that it was it was my duty to tell my RVP...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

View more questions Search