Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JrGong18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Question about the avengers..
    I was very confused with the 2012 film the avengers. I am writing a paper based upon the film. I have to explain and elaborate about the theme of either family or the theme of the search for the self.
    There seems to be a constant theme of family throughout the film among all the super heroes. Is there any themes relating to the search for the self?

Help with this and any elaboration will be appreciated!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 08:34 PM
    I read the Wikipedia plot summary and don't see that at all. I asked my adult son who said the movie isn't that deep, is merely action-adventure.
    fdsaqwerish Posts: 30, Reputation: 14

Jul 31, 2013, 08:38 PM
    Hello there,

This seems like an odd movie for those themes. I would say the only character where self growth could be analyzed would be Tony Stark. Other than him no character undergoes anything more than trivial changes throughout the film.

Jul 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
    Any other noticeable themes in the film I could elaborate and write a 350 word in depth analyzation about?

Thanks for the responses still I appreciate it guys!

Jul 31, 2013, 08:52 PM
    350 word response on an analysis about one specific theme in the film. I observed the theme of family but it seems to juvenile and basic - I want to try to find something about more in depth than that and analytical
    fdsaqwerish Posts: 30, Reputation: 14

Jul 31, 2013, 08:57 PM
    Tony Stark changes quite a bit throughout the movie, that applies to self growth. Another possible theme that could be analyzed is how all of the heroes, though from different backgrounds and ideals, learn to cooperate and depend on one another. I guess that could be related to acceptance and overcoming personal biases.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 09:20 PM
    350 words is nothing and not in depth. Ten or more pages would be in depth.

Can you write about the music and how it relates to the characters and the "family feeling"? I'd research the background music and how it fits in. from Wikipedia --

Alan Silvestri, who scored Captain America: The First Avenger, would write and compose the score for The Avengers. Silvestri said, "I've worked on films where there have been a number of stars and certainly worked on films where there have been characters of equal weight in terms of their level of importance and profile in the film, but this one is somewhat extreme in that regard because each of these characters has their own world and it's a very different situation. It's very challenging to look for a way to give everyone the weight and consideration they need, but at the same time the film is really about the coming together of these characters, which implies that there is this entity called the Avengers which really has to be representative of all of them together." Silvestri developed the score with the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios in London, England. Whedon said, "The score is very old-fashioned, which is why [Silvestri] was letter-perfect for this movie because he can give you the heightened emotion, the [Hans Zimmer] school of 'I'm just feeling a lot right now!' but he can also be extraordinarily cue and character specific, which I love."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ave...282012_film%29
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 11:46 PM
    Personal growth and self... not so much in this film, but it is there if you look for it. The latest Iron Man was full of that as that is when Tony Stark realized that there is something more important than himself. You could have written much about that from that film. However, towards the end of The Avengers, Iron Man/Stark does commit a selfless act in which I think he realized that he didn't matter in the whole picture of things... the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... and he sacrificed himself to save the world. I think that they built off this for the newest Iron Man film and took it to it's final steps in making Stark more "human" and not so much of an as$.

The Avengers does have a family type theme to it. Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, even Hulk seem to dislike each other for the most part and many of them think the whole Avengers thing should be about them only. Stark thinks he is the smartest and should lead. Captain America thinks he should lead as he has the physical ability. Thor, well, he's Thor... he should lead because he is a god. Hulk smash... They learn that working together is where it's at. They can accomplish more by working together whereas individually they may be important and useful in some ways but not to their true potential. They learn to overcome their personal issues and egos and work with each other in the way that a family would.

It is an action based film but there are themes hidden in it if you do look. In fact, many don't realize it but most films do have some sort of underlying theme hidden in them. Even my favorite film, The Road Warrior, is loaded with hidden themes.

Watch the film with your assignment in mind and take notes... I think you will not have too much of a problem completing the assignment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 08:11 AM
    I will have to agree, I could not even start an intro into a discussion in 300 words. Even a general discussion on family growth of moive may be 10 to 14 pages using things like the writers background, the change of values of characters from start though the film. How they gained a closeness for each other, like a family.

The movie itself, ( watched it 6 or 7 times) OK, it is in english, and I got it free, not a lot to watch on TV here.

but it is a action film, any growth of characters is really accidental or just assumed by what happened. I do not see the writers putting any real character growth in this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search