Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rstallard Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2005, 08:23 AM
    Drywalling a 9 foot ceiling
    May be a silly question, but how does one drywall a 9 foot ceiling? I'm guessing you hang your 4x8 (or 4x12) sheets horizontally and cut a one foot strip at the top or bottom (does it matter?)... Do they sell 4 1/2 dimension drywall? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2005, 11:03 AM
    They say there are less problems with cracks if you run drywall horizontally. With 4X8 sheets, you have a one foot gap either way. I know 12' is available, but the would mean throwing away 1/4 of it. Of course, drywall is cheap and I find seams tedious to tape and mud. You might try to find 10'. You may have better luck with less common materials at the older style, contractor oriented lumberyards than the home center stores.
    eg007 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 12:53 PM
    I'd put the 1 foot pieces on the bottom because I couldn't mud drywall to save my life and that way I can hide the extra seam with furniture hehe. Drywall is usually hung horizontal although I've worked on a home depot and some other jobs that used metal studs and they hung it vertically for whatever reason/s.
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Aug 25, 2005, 02:19 PM
    yes they make a sheet that is 54" it is called stretch board. You can pick it up at the local hardware store. It may be a little more that your regular 4x8 or 4x12 sheet.
    travis332 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Travgibbs332
    When I do 9 foot ceilings I push one sheet all the way up and one on the floor and fill in the 12 inch section that way the two joints are at an easy height to tape. When you tape blend both joints together to make one big joint.
    ace36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
    They make 9' sheetrock eliminating the need to cut.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 09:59 AM

ACE check out the posting date off rstallard, this is 4 years old. Think he may have finished by now
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 06:20 PM

I don't know Bob. I got things I've been trying to fix for 20 years. The wife is one of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirty Foot Odor smell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has said that he smells something in our house that smells like dirty foot? He's smells in our living room and then the bedroom, the bedroom is above the garage and laundry room. The living room is at the top of the stairs. I thought he was crazy because I do not smell it. But then a...

Foot pain on side of foot [ 33 Answers ]

Was hoping someone could help. I have pain on the outside of my right foot. It is 1/2 way down the foot, it is tender to the touch and makes walking difficult.. Any ideas what it is? Thanks..

Replacing old tub with claw foot tub on a slab [ 6 Answers ]

I'm thinking of replacing an old tub (american standard recessed tub) with a new claw foot tub. The only part I think I may have trouble with is connecting the drain. I don't think the drain line in the floor will be where it needs to be for the new tub. I am on a slab and wonder how they set...

Increasing foot speed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a 12 yr old who plays baseball and is very good except for foot speed. How do you increase the foot speed for a young person Ty

Injured foot... [ 0 Answers ]

I think I've possibly fractured my foot but I'm not 100% sure. As I was walking through my living room, my right baby toe got caught on a chair leg and was bent back. I just thought I had stubbed my toe, but I woke the next morning to a very swollen, bruised foot. The swelling and pain persisted...

View more questions Search