Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catperson59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Feral Cats
    I had submitted this question earlier today but had problems with the site. I have been feeding 2 feral sibling cats. Both are about a year old-one grey & the other is a tortishell. The grey has now had 2 litters this year-last one just delivered on 7/29 (1st one about 5/1). She was attacked by a coyote a month after having the 1st litter & disappeared a few days the last week of May. The torti was pregnant in May but it appeared she had her litter too early & lost her kittens possibly to miscarraige? While grey was missing for those few days - torti took over caring for her sister's litter which is 3 months old now. When the grey one recently went into labor - she persuaded the 2 kittens from her 1st litter to go with her even though she would have nothing to do with them after the coyote attack. What I need to know is why she did this? I had more details in my 1st question but am now skeptical about this site. Can anyone offer any answers? It is appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 03:24 PM
    I rescue ferals and strays and really have no answer for you. Mother cats do exchange kittens and nurse each other's broods (as do lions in a pride).

What concerns me is that these two cats are going to wear themselves out birthing kittens and will die young from being unspayed outdoor cats. Is there some way you can humanely trap them and get them to a vet, even working with an animal shelter (which usually will loan or rent out traps and even help catch them)? If you cannot adopt them (too feral), at least get them trapped and spayed and then continue to feed them outdoors (the T-N-R program)..
    flitabout Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 02:36 PM
    I am a bit confused about the question. Are you ask why she left the first list or why she came back for the kittens from that litter? I agree humane trap and get them fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is feral cat OK without her kittens [ 5 Answers ]

A young feral cat living near us has had 5 kittens only 2 have survived I arranged for a lady from a rescue centre to take them at about 4 weeks old she would have took mum but we can't catch her, the thing is mum is still full of milk will her body adjust of its own accord she doesan't look to...

Semi feral kitten [ 3 Answers ]

I am a cat owner, I have three cats now. Two of them are sisters and are three years old, and the other one is about 5 month old girl( I think). I have had her for about month now and she started her life in the streets of runcorn. I tried to pick her up and she bit me, so we went back to the...

Capturing feral kittens [ 8 Answers ]

We are trying to rid our neighborhood of stray cats. I have been trying to catch the kittens when they are 8-10 weeks old, to see if I can tame them enough to be adoptable for others. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this? They are VERY fast! I've been feeding them, and hope to lead them...

Feral cat [ 1 Answers ]

Cat you socialize a feral cat? To what extent can be social him. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks. Sharon [email protected]

View more questions Search