Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GillMytton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 11:18 AM
    Why does my dog not sleep all night
    I have a Jack Russel who sleeps with us, but gets up at least once a night. She sometimes has a pee or poop but not always. She wonders around the garden sniffing the grass. She has her last walk/run at 6.30pm every day.. She eats her food when she fancys it, sometimes she does not eat at all. We were told she would grow out of it, but there is no signs of that happening.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 04:09 PM
    If she's free fed and her last potty break is at 6:30pm, then it stands to reason that she'll have to get up during the night to potty.

Try taking her food up after 5pm, and water an hour before bed. Make sure she gets one last chance to potty before bed time.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If she's free fed and her last potty break is at 6:30pm, then it stands to reason that she'll have to get up during the night to potty.

Try taking her food up after 5pm, and water an hour before bed. Make sure she gets one last chance to potty before bed time.
    Free feeding not a good idea. Can lead to obesity. I hate seeing fat JRs!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Free feeding not a good idea. Can lead to obesity. I hate seeing fat JRs!
    And obesity can lead to diabetes and joint problems, just to name two.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 06:47 PM
    6:30 seems so early to expect a full night without going potty. Our 3 month old puppy goes out at 10 and can make it until 4. It's taking time to build up to longer stretches, but we're getting there :).
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Increase your dogs exercise level and let the poor thing pee one last time before bed time. My dogs ALWAYS get a last call no matter what time I go to bed. They sleep through the night too ;)

Not a big fan of free feeding.. but I think your main problem is not letting the dog out to go potty before bedtime.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    6:30 seems so early to expect a full night without going potty. Our 3 month old puppy goes out at 10 and can make it until 4. It's taking time to build up to longer stretches, but we're getting there :).
    Yes little bladders have a tough time!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 08:23 AM
    How old is the dog?

How active is she during the day?

What time is bedtime? What time is your wake up time? How long are you expecting her to 'sleep'?

I agree with stopping the free-feeding and taking the water up an hour before bedtime.

That said, dogs will wake up during the night and move around if for no other reason than to change position or because someone rolls over on them. Is she whining to go out or are you waking up because she is moving around and assuming she needs to go out because she is awake?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 09:09 AM
    Heck, I can't last from 6:30PM until whenever other people wake up! Neither can my dogs.

Aug 1, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Pippa goes out in the garden till about 10pm when we go to bed to have a poop or pee the door is open most of the time. I am going to try giving her last food at 6pm

Aug 1, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Increase your dogs exercise level and let the poor thing pee one last time before bed time. My dogs ALWAYS get a last call no matter what time I go to bed. They sleep through the night too ;)

Not a big fan of free feeding.. but I think your main problem is not letting the dog out to go potty before bedtime.
    The door is open till 10pm she is free to go out whenever she has lots of exercise as we live by fields and has 3 long walks a day I do think it may be her food routine
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2013, 01:34 PM
    My dogs, 3 of them, can't go all night without peeing! Two are housedogs, the other a yard dog. I let the housedogs out every night around 2 am, and they are find from then on. One is 10 yrs old, the other 9 yrs old.
    PLEASE do not feed them people food, if you do now. It makes them fat, and really can take about 5 yrs off their life. I leave dry dog food out for my 2 all the time. They eat when they get hungry, and neigher one is fat.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 01:35 PM
    What is a yard dog? "I leave dry dog food out for my 2 all the time. They eat when they get hungry, and neigher one is fat.:"

What/when does the third one eat?

I have both self fed (as you do) and had set dinnertimes. I think it all depends on the dog(s).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What is a yard dog? "I leave dry dog food out for my 2 all the time. They eat when they get hungry, and neigher one is fat.:"

What/when does the third one eat?

I have both self fed (as you do) and had set dinnertimes. I think it all depends on the dog(s).
    What is a yard dog? It's a dog that lives in the yard, with a dog house, tied to a tether so it can't get out and get run over by a vehicle.
    A house dog is a dog that lives in your house. At least, those are the understandings that I have heard all my life, and I'm 71 yrs. Old.
    The yard dog eats dry dog food, too, along with a can of Gravy train dog food, once a day.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GillMytton View Post
    The door is open till 10pm she is free to go out whenever she has lots of excercise as we live by fields and has 3 long walks a day I do think it may be her food routine
    How old is she?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't sleep through the night [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ten year old Irish Setter who is quite hyperactive. He lives with his sister and niece so is not alone, but he will not sleep right through the night. He regularly wakes up around 3am and will trot round the garden. (I always make sure he has a pee before they go to bed.) Then around...

What do I do if my dog won't sleep through the night [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old Border Terrier that we have had since he was 12 weeks old. He was really easy to train. This spring he quit sleeping through the night. He might, but when he doesn't, he'll wake anywhere from 1-3 times between the hours of 1-5 a.m. He doesn't seem to need to do his business,...

My dog will not sleep at night [ 19 Answers ]

Help haven't slept in almost 2 month. We have had ozzy (bulldog) for 5 months now. 3 months he was great slept had a great routine. Left him with my brither n law for 4 days . Came back to a crazy dog at night... what to do? Went to vet, thaey are at a lose... help me

My Dog won't sleep through the night! [ 2 Answers ]

We have 2 dogs. Our little female Papillon sleeps though the night great! We have crates in our room for the 2 dogs. Our little male Pap won't sleep through the night. They are both treated the same during the day, both go to bed at the same time. But the male gets up every 1 1/2 hours to 3...

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

View more questions Search