Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Inheritance tax
    If you are 63 +, and you receive a inheritance of $160,000, what taxes or tax rate will have to be paid? Any to the state of Florida on this money?
    Thanks for your time on this matter.
    Tom
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 30, 2013, 09:27 AM
    I do not think Florida has an inheritance tax, but a phone call to the Florida tax department or a visit to their website should give you the answer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 05:58 AM
    ATE is correct - FL does not have an inheritance tax, nor is there a federal inheritance tax, so you do not need to file anything with respect to taxes on this inheritance. I would point out that if the estate of the decedant is large enough the personal representative of the decedant (called the "executior" in most other states) would have to file a federal and possibly also a Florida estate tax return, but that is a different issue that is handled by the personal representative, not the heirs.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2013, 07:09 PM
    Inheritance taxed?
    I'm over 63 and received a good some of money from my mothers' estate how much (%) will I have to pay in taxes on that alone? Is Inheirance taxed in Florida? Do I get a break do to my age? Do I pay state tax on it here in FL?
    Thank you for your time with this matter.
    Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 08:02 PM
    How much is a "good sum" that is what matters.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2013, 07:21 AM
    Thank you for your reply. This is Toms wife Just in case you're wonderei8ng how old a 86 year old mans mother is,
    The amount is$160,000.00 ( One hundred sixty thousand.) What would be the tax on that amount? Thanks, Sharon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 10:41 AM
    This gets complicated. You will have to call Florida dept. of revenue 800 352 3671. Florida has merged a lot of these taxes.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2013, 01:29 PM
    I am 71 yrs old, and did inherient quite a sum of money, but in VA. I went to a lawyer to find out about all the taxes. All I have to pay in VA was Capital Gains on some bank stock... they money made from the time the stock was bought, until the time of death. There was no tax on any other money, except for that, which was interest earned.
    Please see a lawyer to find out for sure. Be careful about the CPA you choose, if any. Some work "for the government", others don't.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2013, 05:09 PM
    Hi Tom,
    I merged your 2 threads in the Taxes forum since it's a tax issue, not Family Law. In most cases any taxes are paid by the estate, not the heirs. ebaines has the best answer.

And, as usual fredg has the worst answer. A CPA who takes private clients is generally an independent person, not a govt employee, though some govt employess may be CPAs.

Have you talked to the executors of the estate? They should be able to advise you on your tax liability. As ebaines noted, they will have to file a return for the estate.

If the inheritance is in cash, there is no issue of capital gains. However, if the inheritance includes property or assets, there may be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax credit for inheritance tax paid overseas [ 6 Answers ]

my wife's mother died in Brazil and my wife inherited the apt her mother lived in. my have has to pay inheritance tax in Brazil for the market value of the apt, ($50k) what we want to know is can she sell the apt. there and use the funds to buy a house here in New Jersey without any U.S. tax...

Inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

As a U.S. citizen, am I required to pay a German inheritance tax tor an inheritance from an estate in Germany?

Inheritance tax [ 3 Answers ]

When I was 9 my father passed away and left me a IRA inheritance. When I was 10 my mother who was my guardian at the time pulled all the money out of the IRA and spent it on herself. She however never paid the taxes. I am now 24 and being faced with a tax bill of over $23,000 from my inheritance...

California Inheritance Tax (death tax) [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited property in a different state a few months ago in 2007 and I need to know if there is any California tax because of this. The state I inherited the property has no inheritance tax so if there is tax in California, do I have to wait until the "possession of ownership" documents have been...

View more questions Search