Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Can dogs get fur balls?
    Owen has coughed up/thrown up 2 piles of what I feel may be fur balls. He was on the bed with me and jumped off and ran to a corner away from my bed and brought it up. A few moments later he did another pile.
    To be honest if I had not seen /heard it I would have thought it was poop. Now for the TMI and to describe it.
    It was yellowish (unlike normal poop) but formed like a soft log. It kept its form and had some clear liquid around it. The yellow was more like a mustard.. dijon type but more bright.

Okay now on to more info
    1. We have cats 3 to be exact and Owen has a thing for cat fur and will groom one. We have caught him snorting up fur on the floor as well.. I know he is one weird dog but I love him.
    2. Owen has allergies and is on special food, benedryl, fatty acids and glucosomine
    3. He has been going to the bathroom normally, activity normal, eating normal

As usual any questions please ask.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:40 PM
    I've never really heard of a dog coughing up a furball, but what you describe, I have seen. Usually it's when my dogs get into something they shouldn't. For example, Rascal ate a rubber ball once, as did Indy (RIP Indy), and obviously it didn't sit well with him, so he coughed it up, yellow phlegm, and all the plastic in a neat little ball. The same happens when they eat too much grass.

Keep in mind, I don't have cats, only bunnies, and my dogs are not allowed near them unsupervised and never had a chance to groom them. So, it could be a hair ball.

Bottom line, I think he just has an upset tummy. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Well Owen is the king of finding food and non food items around the house... cat fur, kleenex, crumb of bread, bunny poop. I swear he is trying to convince people he is being starved to death. He is a dog you can not free feed as he will eat and eat. He is finally at a good weight for his joints.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    Well Owen is the king of finding food and non food items around the house... cat fur, kleenex, crumb of bread, bunny poop. I swear he is trying to convince people he is being starved to death. He is a dog you can not free feed as he will eat and eat. He is finally at a good weight for his joints.
    You haven't lived until you have a dog that has eaten a leather work glove, a huge rubber ball, 3 remote controls, blown out eggs painted with nail polish, and the list goes on. That was Indy, and he lived to 16. :)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
    My new puppy has coughed up one. She looooves the cat. I started separating them a bit more and it seems to have worked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For The Ladies.geisha balls/ben wa balls? [ 5 Answers ]

Have you ever used geisha balls/ben wa balls? What are your thoughts on them?

A box contains n white balls and m blue balls. Balls are drawn at random and with rep [ 1 Answers ]

A box contains n white balls and m blue balls. Balls are drawn at random and with replacement until a blue ball is drawn. What is the probability that (a) exactly n draws are required (b) At least n draws are required.

Should dogs with thick fur get shaved when groomed? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog is a sheltie/tibetan spaniel mix. He has thick fur. During the summer I take him to a groomer and let her shave him. His haircut is quite short. I do this because he seems hot and his fur grows back fast. However, he hates it. He will act strangely for days after. Currently he is...

Ih how many ways 21 red balls and 19 blue balls can be arranged in a row so that no t [ 1 Answers ]

Ih how many ways 21 red balls and 19 blue balls can be arranged in a row so that no two blue balls are together

How can I get chweing gum out of my dogs fur? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey my dog accidentally got chewing gum in its fur is there any way I can get it out thanks

View more questions Search