Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azmidnight Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Out of State Job - Resume Question
    I work in the education field and am looking at moving to Oregon in less than a year. I found a small school in the city I am moving to, and am interested in sending my resume and cover letter to them in hopes of gaining their interest and see if there is an open position or a need for a teacher.

It is a small school that is not part of the public school district, so they do not go through the same hiring process. The current staff, as far as I can tell, are almost all previous students of the school, so I worry they might not be too keen on outside employment. I want to send my resume and cover letter to them, but am unsure if I should just email out of the blue, send the resume and cover letter through postal mail, or wait until October when I plan on visiting.

Thoughts?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
    I'd mail it now -
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:21 PM
    As a former teacher, I suggest you snail mail it now.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:23 PM
    I'd mail it along with a scanned portfolio of examples of great teaching.

Jul 29, 2013, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'd mail it along with a scanned portfolio of examples of great teaching.
    What might this portfolio include? This idea intrigues me.
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azmidnight View Post
    What might this portfolio include? This idea intrigues me.
    What is your specialty in education?

Jul 29, 2013, 12:29 PM
    I am a certified Montessori teacher, ages 6-9.
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:34 PM
    I am a certified Montessori teacher, ages 6-9.
    I'd include any thematic units you've developed, and any lessons you've created which focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Also, I'd include a few staff/ parent letters that discuss the wonderful teacher/ workmate you've been. (Make sure you have permission to copy these, and ask for a contact number).

Jul 29, 2013, 12:36 PM
    I'd include any thematic units you've developed, and any lessons you've created which focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Also, I'd include a few staff/ parent letters that discuss the wonderful teacher/ workmate you've been. (Make sure you have permission to copy these, and ask for a contact number).
    This is an amazing idea. Thank you very much for the suggestion. :)
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
    This is an amazing idea. Thank you very much for the suggestion. :)
    It's all about how you present yourself these days. Do you have a teaching credential? Also, update your resume with all classes you've taken and any seminars you've attended.

Jul 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
    My resume is up to date as far as the end of this last school year. I have a teaching credential for Montessori and am finishing up my B.A. with expected completion in 2014. That is also listed in my resume and cover letter.
    Education Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
    My resume is up to date as far as the end of this last school year. I have a teaching credential for Montessori and am finishing up my B.A. with expected completion in 2014. That is also listed in my resume and cover letter.
    I'm not sure if Montessori schools will participate in Common Core, but it has been adopted by Oregon.

Jul 29, 2013, 12:55 PM
    I'm not sure if Montessori schools will participate in Common Core, but it has been adopted by Oregon.
    Depending on the type of school. If it is charter and they are expecting funding from state or federal sources, they will, definitely. This is the case with my current employer.

This school in Oregon has a very small website limited in the scope of information offered, so I am unsure of their requirements. This is what makes these decisions difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No job experience, what to put on a resume? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filling out an application and they're asking me my employment history. I've never heard a job before but I do have some volunteer experience from high school to college and have been a part of some clubs. The ones I want to out down, I remember the names, but not the numbers and I haven't...

Building a resume to get a better job on Capitol Hill [ 6 Answers ]

Right now I'm in kind of a rough spot. I have an internship on the Hill, on the senate side and hae already had anther internship working for my congressman and volunteered on his campaign. Right now my family is going through some rough financial times and I'm becoming a financial drain on my...

Can someone help me with a Job Resume? [ 40 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 15 year old female, I will be 16 the beginning of September. At 16 I will be able to work without a permit so it will be a little bit easier to get a job I enjoy. I understand that I am at the bottom of the highering pile but I do have Job experience. I have worked in two fast food...

Question on state tax - NJ resident NYC job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I started working in NYC from JULY 2005.Before that I was in India and I am o n H1b.I reside in NJ.I rented a house in NJ on 15th August and stayed till 31st Dec,2005. My husband came to US in July 2005 end on F1 and resides in New York state. We are trying to fill up the return...

View more questions Search