Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shann72 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Inside and outside unit won't shut off outside unit new
    Compressor was bad got new outside unit now the inside won't shut off or shut off outside unit
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
    If neither unit will shut off inless you turn of breakers then the probem is in the t-stat or t-stat wiring. Or do you mean the unit will not get to temp thus not shut down. In that case could be a number of things including freon problem or unit does not match or lines was not properly vacumed

Jul 30, 2013, 07:11 AM
    We removed the thermostat from the wall and they still both run I really think the outside unit is wired wrong and the guy says it isn't and wants to charge me to come c so for 3 ays I been pulling the breaker to let it stop for awhile before it blows
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    if neither unit will shut off inless you turn of breakers then the probem is in the t-stat or t-stat wiring. Or do you mean the unit will not get to temp thus not shut down. in that case could be a number of things including freon problem or unit does not match or lines was not properly vacumed
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2013, 01:48 PM
    Are any wires touching each other at the t-stat. it your system a gas furnace and ac or a heatpump?

Jul 30, 2013, 02:35 PM
    No thermostat isn't hooked up at all right now and it is a ac/heatpump
    are any wires touching each other at the t-stat. it your system a gas furnace and ac or a heatpump?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2013, 01:44 AM
    Yellow and red t-stat wires are touching somewhere. This is the only way both units would run
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 06:00 AM
    Identify thermostat wires at Air Handler, remove, and test for open between each of the wires, then twist all together at one end, go to the other and verify you have continuity, with all the wires disconnected at the Air Handler, It should not run, If it doesn't, it was a short in the wiring.
    If it still keeps running with the wires disconnected, the Thermostat is not the problem, Problem is in Air Handler.

Jul 31, 2013, 07:24 AM
    A friend is coming today to check because the
    Thermostat isn't even wired and either unit will shut off I really think he didn't wire outside correctly thanks will post results
    if neither unit will shut off inless you turn of breakers then the probem is in the t-stat or t-stat wiring. Or do you mean the unit will not get to temp thus not shut down. in that case could be a number of things including freon problem or unit does not match or lines was not properly vacumed
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2013, 06:09 AM
    I Understand thermostat is not hooked up, did you read the above post, especially the part about disconnecting the wires in air handler, to be sure a short on the thermostat wires is NOT the cause.

Aug 1, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Has to be outside I think cause that was the only wires he messed with my friend couldn't come last night so they both still on and I. Afraid to mess with it
    yellow and red t-stat wires are touching somewhere. this is the only way both units would run

Aug 1, 2013, 06:24 AM
    I just saw you post I don't know what the air handler is lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I Understand thermostat is not hooked up, did you read the above post, especially the part about disconnecting the wires in air handler, to be sure a short on the thermostat wires is NOT the cause.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2013, 07:20 AM
    The Inside Unit is commonly called an "Air Handler", and the unit outside, the "Compressor Unit",
    The Air Handler has a 24 volt transformer, and supplies power to the thermostat, the thermostat will make connections to trigger relays in the Air Handler, to turn on the Fan and compressor for cooling, or the fan and heat strip for heating.
    If thermostat wires are disconnected at the Air handler, and it still runs, problem is at the air handler with a relay stuck, or support electronics energizing relay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C unit. Inside rotating fan won't come on [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed how hot it was and the inside temp has higher than what the thermostat was on. The outside unit runs fine. When I turn unit on seems like inside wants to come on ( I hear air through coils) but fan won't turn. I tried to manually turn it and it turns freely. Any suggestions

Inside fan on AC unit won't stut off [ 0 Answers ]

My inside fan on my heat pump won't turn off I replaced thermostat, then replaced control board,, what else could it be??

Heat pump/inside unit will not shut off [ 0 Answers ]

I have a heat pump system,and for the past few days I've noticed it will not shut off when it reaches the desired temperature. I have a Honeywell RTH3100C non-programmable digital thermostat, which we've had for about two years, and everything was fine until now. If the thermostat is set to 72,...

A/c Unit fan inside won't run,But Outside Unit works fine. What's the problem? [ 2 Answers ]

The Outside Unit is working fine. The inside Unit fan won't come on and makes a humming noise.

Inside unit won't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

My ac unit sometimes goes off outside but stays running inside . I have to throw the breaker to make it go off . Is it my thermostat or something else ?

View more questions Search