Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    15nin8th Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2013, 02:56 PM
    How to skip 8th grade
    Im 15 years old I had to retake 7th grade because of my grades… Im going to be 16 in January… School starts in two weeks… Me and my mom are wondering if I could go to 9th grade before school starts… Is there is a test that I could take or something in Arizona?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
    What were your grades last year? How did you do on state testing? Unless your scores were practically perfect, you probably don't have much of a chance. Do you think you could get perfect grades in all of the 8th grade classes without attending them at all?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Best thing to do is ask your school counselor if they have testing up a grade even if its only on some subjects. As teacherjenn said let them know when you start back, do good and it may take a year before it can happen, but make it your 8th grade goal.

Jul 27, 2013, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    What were your grades last year? How did you do on state testing? Unless your scores were practically perfect, you probably don't have much of a chance. Do you think you could get perfect grades in all of the 8th grade classes without attending them at all?
    My grades were straight A's I passed the AIMS… I feel uncomfortable being the oldest in the class… I'm a good student and I just want to know how I can be in my grade I'm suppose to be in…
    Education Expert

Jul 27, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 15nin8th View Post
    My grades were straight A's i passed the AIMS… I feel uncomfortable being the oldest in the class… I'm a good student and I just want to know how i can be in my grade im suppose to be in…
    Have your parents call the school district office. They can access your records and determine if anything can be done. It's very difficult when you were retained just a short time ago.

Jul 28, 2013, 01:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Have your parents call the school district office. They can access your records and determine if anything can be done. It's very difficult when you were retained just a short time ago.
    No we haven't but I were to go to home school would that help?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 05:28 AM
    If your mother is willing and will put the time in to home schooling you should check into it. Most home schooled kids I know are advanced from their grade level.
    Education Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 15nin8th View Post
    No we havent but i were to go to home school would that help?
    Home schooling would still be at the same grade level you are now, unless the school district decides you can advance. If you are homeschooled through a private school, you will still need to pass the 8th grade testing before you are advanced to 9th grade. Remember, you need to know all of the 8th grade material before you can enter 9th grade.
    Education Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    If your mother is willing and will put the time in to home schooling you should check into it. Most home schooled kids I know are advanced from their grade level.
    The OP repeated 7th grade. Because it was just last year, it is rare to skip the next grade. Something caused the failure, and it doesn't resolve itself that quickly. The material for 8th grade must be taught, learned, and tested, and only in a rare case would a child be advanced to 9th.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 07:06 AM
    I didn't mean she would be in an Advanced grade level by home schooling. I meant the home schooling is a bit more Advanced at learning even though it is the Same grade level.
    Education Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 08:04 AM
    I didnt mean she would be in an Advanced grade level by home schooling. I meant the home schooling is a bit more Advanced at learning even though it is the Same grade level.
    That's not necessarily true. It depends on the academic level of the student. If the student is capable of advanced work, then it is available, as it is in regular education.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
    I'd like to know why the OP failed 7th grade. And whatever the reason was, would it be a problem again?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
    From what I am understanding she is pretty much a straight A student and slacked off/goofed off whatever pretty badly the last year . Yes I know that's not necessarly true that's why I told her she needs to talk to a counselor, her mom and I would hope she realizes as she stated get all her grades back up to A.'s. Otherwise Yeah she will not be able to skip a year before she gets to 12th.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:08 AM
    she will not be able to skip a year before she gets to 12th.
    Skipping a grade after third grade would be a huge undertaking, but maybe with an intensive course during the summer, it might be possible. I was at the top of my class yet would never have been able to do it -- not with college prep courses.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:08 AM
    She says she is an A student but we've all heard that before. She doesn't write like an A student. No place did I see her mention that she slacked off. If she got held back, there's a good reason for it and it's not likely she will be skipping forward any time soon.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    She says she is an A student but we've all heard that before. She doesn't write like an A student. No place did I see her mention that she slacked off. If she got held back, there's a good reason for it and it's not likely she will be skipping forward any time soon.
    And she wants to do the make-up work for the 8th grade in the two weeks before school starts.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 09:13 AM
    Like I said that is up to the counselor and her mother and her. We can only tell her the process and the hurdles involved. I've known quite a few people in my life that skipped a grade.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Like I said that is up to the counselor and her mother and her. We can only tell her the process and the hurdles involved. I've known quite a few people in my life that skipped a grade.
    I've never know anyone personally who skipped a grade after 3rd. After that level, there is just so much information in too many subject areas to grasp quickly. And things build on each other.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 09:19 AM
    I've known kids that skipped a grade as well... but usually once they are left behind to repeat a grade, that's pretty much the end of their chances.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
    I'dd have to look up the statistics. It does happen. All I'm saying is go for her goal even if she can't skip a grade she knows she put all her effort into it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I skip 8th grade? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to start it but I want to skip it.

Skip 8th to 9th grade [ 6 Answers ]

I got sent to alternitive school in 6th grade I passed then went to 7th in alt I got EXPELLED I did alt school in 7th again and pass and got sent back to my regular school Now I'm and 8th and supposed to be in 9th I NEED HELP ON HOW TO GET TO HIGH my guidance consular said can't do anything about I...

?Why Can't I Just Skip To 8th Grade? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Iam 14 years old in 7th grade turning 15 on march 21st. I got held back in 2nd grade which is fine so I am suppose to be in 8th grade but then I got held back in 6th grade. Technecly I am suppose to be a 9th grader but I'm curious if I can skip the rest of seventh grade and move on to 8th...

I'm 15 and I'm going to 8th grade , I don't want to do 8th grade I want to skip to 9th [ 11 Answers ]

I stayed back in 4th grade and 5th grade , now I'm becoming a 8th grader , I'm really ready for high school even though my grades are a little low , can you help me shoud I move to a other country so they could skip me?

View more questions Search