Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john myers Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2013, 11:10 AM
    Is it Safe?
    Is it safe to eat yogurt that's a month passed its expiration date? Because my fiancés grandpa gave me a yogurt and I just realized it was old and I don't want to hurt his feelings
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
    My mom says, "When in doubt, throw it out."

How will Grandpa's feelings be hurt?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Usually it will start separating, get a different texture, get a smell, curdle or something. Are you sure its an expiration date or could it be a sell by date?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:27 AM
    If it's a month past the best before date, don't eat it. I think Grandpa will be okay, after all you had it in your fridge for this long without eating it, so just throw it out and if he asks, tell him you ate it. Problem averted.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:46 AM
    I'd help him clean out his fridge after you let him know that someone could get sick. He may have poor eyesight. My Grandma had ten year old applesauce in the back of her fridge when we helped her clean it out.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'd help him clean out his fridge after you let him know that someone could get sick. He may have poor eyesight. My Grandma had ten year old applesauce in the back of her fridge when we helped her clean it out.
    Good advice! My mil could never throw out food (sinful!), even if it was months and even years old and unidentifiable. She died last October, and her frig and freezer were horror chambers.
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
    I've found that many older people feel that if the food is in the refrigerator, it's fine forever. That's simply not the case.

I go through my fridge once a month just in case something on the back shelf was neglected, forgotten, and past it's expiration date. It happens to all of us. I've forgotten yogurt before, mainly because I don't often have yogurt, hubby bought it but didn't tell me, and it got pushed to the back of the fridge. When I cleaned out the fridge, I found the yogurt, and it was no longer safe to eat. :(

If Grandpa would be really upset, buy a replacement yogurt, throw out the old, and eat the new so he doesn't feel like food was wasted. What he doesn't know, won't hurt him. But eating the old yogurt could hurt you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:12 PM
    My husband eats old salad and other stuff just to get in my nerves. He hasn't gotten sick yet, but then he comes from post war Toronto with a veteran father where you just ate what was available even if it didn't look good because good was limited.

Jul 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
    His feeling would be hurt if I threw it away
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
    When we were newlyweds and went to my mil's for dinner, she would unload all sorts of unlabeled foil packages and plastic containers of food from her refrigerator and put them into a bag for us to take home (because we were "poor and needed to have food to eat"). Even she had no clue what those packages contained. You can guess where they ended up once we got home.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by john myers View Post
    his feeling would be hurt if i threw it away
    Or you could have diarrhea or end up in the hospital if you ate it.

HE let it get old in his refrigerator or YOU kept it too long? You live with him?

Jul 26, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Thank you all for the advice
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Not if he doesn't find out. Like I said, buy a new one, exactly the same, and replace it. Throw the old one out away from home, and he'll never know. Or throw it out and tell him you ate it.

But, if you insist, can't do what was recommended, then eat it. Don't post from your phone while you're in the hospital, because we warned you. This is totally up to you. I can only say that even with a gun to my head, I wouldn't eat that yogurt if it's a month past its expiration date, and Grandpa would just have to get over it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 12:50 PM
    How would he know this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this safe? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 22-year-old central air unit in my home. I'm running the fan 24/7 because my dog has COPD. (Use top of the line 3M filters.) Would there be any danger of fire from running the fan continuously in this older unit? Is there any basic maintenance that should be done to insure the fan's...

Liposuction,safe or not safe in my country? [ 1 Answers ]

hello everyone, my name is queen, I'm 25yrs old,and I'm a nigerian. I'm considering a lipo and I'm a little apprehensive about it. Its going to be for my arms and tommy. There's a popular beautician in my country(modupe ozolua),she flies in surgeons from America to perform various surgeries. I...

T safe Coil and thrush? T safe problems? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had c t safe coil fitted back in may. I have had thrush since, anyone evr had thise from the tsafe?? Please let me know of any other problems you have had with this device?? :confused:

Is it safe [ 4 Answers ]

Is it safe to take 2 kinds of birth controle:confused:

View more questions Search