Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Misskriss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Is this considered slander by my former employer?
    I was previously employed in sales. After taking a personal leave I was told they no longer needed me and was let go. I have been trying to get back in the same business selling the same thing as I was. When speaking with a potential customer I was told that my previous employer told them that "I was let go because I was an alcoholic and that is why their business was doing badly" he has said he will write a statement and come to court of need be because he knows this is not true. I have lost business contacts because of them saying this. The personal leave I took was due to a death close to me that I was having a hard time dealing with. This start that my former employer keeps throwing out to anyone who inquires about products is hurting my current job search. I cannot seem to get anyone to want to buy products from me in this business. I am at my wits end as to what to do.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 07:18 PM
    Contact a lawyer and discuss a possible action to recover your damages. Slander is tough to prove even with your person willing to make a statement in court.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
    What do you hope to gain in court? If you want monetary judgment you will have to prove what their slander cost you as far as things like losing customers.
    Misskriss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    What do you hope to gain in court? If you want monetary judgment you will have to prove what their slander cost you as far as things like losing customers.
    I would like to be able to work in the same line of business I was previously in without being told" we'll so and so said you were an alcoholic so we don't think we can work with you " it has been 2 months now and no one wants to work with me. As for monetary gain I couldn't care less. I just want them to stop telling people untrue things about me so I can do what I love. This type of business has been my livelihood for 15 years and I have never had a problem until they started telling people these things
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
    Then you need to get as many potential customers to as you can to write out a complaint on how you are losing business because of them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2013, 03:11 AM
    If you can prove the statement and prove it has affected your employability, you have a good case.

Definitely speak to an attorney about it. But here's the problem, a case like this can last for years. So there may not be immediate help. Hopefully, an attorney can write some letters, put a scare into the employer and get him to retract his statement. That would be your best course rather than pursuing a suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer slander [ 1 Answers ]

I work part-time as a school bus driver. My dispatcher frequently brings in subs because we are short of drivers. I'm one of the more reliable and versatile drivers and my job evals reflect that. When the dispatcher learned that I had applied for a full-time position in the district warehouse,...

Can one derogatory statement be considered slander? [ 3 Answers ]

Could I be sued by my employer for making a derogatory comment about her to a co-worker? Apparently some colleagues were in earshot and reported this to my boss. She had them write statements about what I said. I was called into a meeting where she tried to get me to admit to it and then asked me...

Former employer slander- [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for the same attorney from 95-.97 and then 99-2010. In December 2009, I underwent a 3 level cervical fusion with plate, screws, cadaver bone, etc. Just 8 days out of the hospital I got bombarded with emails about paperwork backing up, etc. and then I was terminated. I've had to change my...

Employer slander [ 2 Answers ]

I am a full time college student, holding down two part-time jobs in the state of Georgia. One employer (owner of a small business) yelled at me and accused me of stealing and said she had it on video. She called the police and after the police came and reviewed the video tape. They told her, there...

Employer Slander in MD [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently working for an optical chain as an optometrist. In the first few months of working for the company I decided, this wasn't the best mode of practice for me and decided to leave; or so I thought. I have applied to several different optical chains. In one case, I interviewed and a job...

View more questions Search