Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
    The problem with what you do is you had pre-existent states and therefore an imperfect federal system where the states basically retain the right of veto. They cannot leave and yet they can get in the way of change a dichotomy that does no one any good
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 08:29 PM
    It's a Civil War, no gun but a battle over ideas nonetheless.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 11:14 PM
    Yes a nation equally divided
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    States rights are great until the state party's play hanky panky with the rights of its citizens under federal law. One interesting case is discriminating against gay marriages that are legal in states and not recognized by others.

If you recognize straight marriage from other states, you should recognize gay marriage from other states.
    OK let's use your example.. at least 34 states ban gay marriage ;closer to 38.. That means a convention called by 34 states to introduce an amendment that marriage is between a man and a women would need 38 states to ratify . Very doable... and that would reflect the will of the people as defined by the Federal nature of the constitution. (btw... there is no such thing as "states rights " .people have rights ;states have powers ) .
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 03:02 AM
    Its a Civil War, no gun but a battle over ideas nonetheless.
    This is news ? It has been since the beginning .
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 03:23 AM
    The obituary of Rep. Justin Amash's amendment to claw back the sweeping powers of the National Security Agency has largely been written as a victory for the White House and NSA chief Keith Alexander, who lobbied the Hill aggressively in the days and hours ahead of Wednesday's shockingly close vote. But Hill sources say most of the credit for the amendment's defeat goes to someone else: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. It's an odd turn, considering that Pelosi has been, on many occasions, a vocal surveillance critic.

Ahead of the razor-thin 205-217 vote, which would have severely limited the NSA's ability to collect data on Americans' telephone records if passed, Pelosi privately and aggressively lobbied wayward Democrats to torpedo the amendment, a Democratic committee aid with knowledge of the deliberations tells The Cable.

"Pelosi had meetings and made a plea to vote against the amendment and that had a much bigger effect on swing Democratic votes against the amendment than anything Alexander had to say," said the source, keeping in mind concerted White House efforts to influence Congress by Alexander and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. "Had Pelosi not been as forceful as she had been, it's unlikely there would've been more Democrats for the amendment."

With 111 liberal-to-moderate Democrats voting for the amendment alongside 94 Republicans, the vote in no way fell along predictable ideological fault lines. And for a particular breed of Democrat, Pelosi's overtures proved decisive, multiple sources said.

"Pelosi had a big effect on more middle-of-the road hawkish Democrats who didn't want to be identified with a bunch of lefties [voting for the amendment]," said the aide. "As for the Alexander briefings: Did they hurt? No, but that was not the central force, at least among House Democrats. Nancy Pelosi's political power far outshines that of Keith Alexander's."

But despite the minority leader's instrumental role in swaying the vote, you won't find her taking credit: She's busy protecting her left flank from liberal supporters of Amash's amendment -- some of whom openly booed her at last month's Netroots Nation conference where she defended President Obama's NSA surveillance program.

When contacted, a Pelosi aide did not dispute the minority leader's assertive role in influencing Democrats, but passed along a letter Pelosi sent to the president today raising skepticism about the NSA's surveillance powers.

"Dear Mr. President," reads the letter. "Although the amendment was defeated 205-217, it is clear that concerns remain about the continued implementation of the program in its current form. Although some of us voted for and others against the amendment, we all agree that there are lingering questions and concerns about the current 215 collection program."

The letter goes on to question whether the bulk metadata collection program sufficiently protects the privacy of Americans, whether it could be tailored more narrowly and whether the law is being implemented in a manner consistent with Congress's intent.

Pelosi is no stranger to intelligence issues; she was a member of the House's intelligence committee in the aftermath of the September 9/11 attacks. In recent years, she's grown increasingly skeptical of surveillance powers authorized by the PATRIOT Act, which she voted against in 2005 when it was up for reauthorization and again in February. "Well, I didn't vote for the PATRIOT Act the last time it was up," she said today, at her weekly press briefing. "I don't want anybody to misunderstand a vote against the Amash resolution yesterday."

At the briefing, she emphasized her current effort circulating a letter for members to sign expressing concern over how metadata is collected. "The Administration is the custodian of the information. The ownership belongs to the American people," she said. "And we, as their Representatives, have to make decisions about it, we have to know more about it."
    How Nancy Pelosi Saved the NSA Surveillance Program | The Cable

In other words ;had a Republic been in the WH ,she would've had a completely different position on the NSA snooping .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2013, 03:33 AM
    this is news ? It has been since the beginning .
    But nothing is being accomplished. How will you ever stop the corporations and special interests groups from owning your politicians?
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    But nothing is being accomplished. How will you ever stop the corporations and special interests groups from owning your politicians?
    Term limits... but that requires a constitutional amendment .Sen David Vitter has already introduced one . But why would the Senate and House vote for them? Again.. it will only happen with a convention.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2013, 04:10 AM
    Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    (btw ... there is no such thing as "states rights " .people have rights ;states have powers ) .
    I'm sure the states think very differently about it
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I'm sure the states think very differently about it
    It is an incorrect turn of phrase . I defy anyone to find a state "right" in the constitution. Every mention of government comes under the word power(s) . The 10th amendment (the one most frequently referenced by those who argue for state "rights ") as an example reads...

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Yes it's a growth industry
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Government... indeed is a "growth "industry .
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2013, 04:29 AM
    RINO Republic Chris Christie has come out attacking those who would put common sense constitutional limits on the powers of the NSA.
    Chris Christie: Rand Paul

The emperor's favorite Republic cheerleader also praised the emperor's approach during the panel discussion. Instead of taking a position that perhaps the critics of the gvt dragnet approach may have legitimate concerns that need to be addressed ;he pulled out the 'victims of 9-11" card. ("I want them to come to New Jersey and sit across from the widows and the orphans and have that conversation") .I would suggest to him that the Amash amendment was about the NSA's ability to monitor people who aren't threats to the 9-11 families.

Christie is all about politics . So let me suggest that he get a clue. The Republic coalition is split on this between the inside the beltway big gvt Repubics and the what he dismisses as the esoteric libertarians . Someone like him who has national ambitions should be working at ways to unite the coalition by recognizing their concerns and working on ideas that would protect the nation from the threat of jihadistan constitutionally . But Christie belongs to that group of Repubics that have the Tea Party in their cross hairs ,and would prefer to make common cause with big state Democrats . He's a classic pompous Democrat -lite Republic .
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Chris Christie, Republican Governor of New Jersey, warned of a “strain of libertarianism that's going through both parties right now,” and described the political philosophy, which trends heavily toward a belief in fundamental human rights and fiscal responsibility, as a “very dangerous thought.”
    NJ Governor Warns of “Dangerous Thoughts” | USBC News
    Yup dictators throughout history have expressed similar thoughts about liberty.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Rand Paul, Senator (R) TN, responded to Governor Chrisities remarks via Twitter later in the day, stating that, “Christie worries about the dangers of freedom. I worry about the danger of losing that freedom. Spying without warrants is unconstitutional.”
    Paul is the senator from Kentucky but we all know they have a judge on call to sign any warrant they submit. They probably do it by TEXT, or verbally.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Paul is the senator from Kentucky but we all know they have a judge on call to sign any warrant they submit. They probably do it by TEXT, or verbally.
    You think a blanket warrant to collect data on everyone is constitutional ?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized
    Expert

Jul 29, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Simmer down, just pointing out where the irony in the system is. Rubber stamping a government warrant is a dangerous practice and doesn't allow for any safeguards or balances in the structure of such an institution. Even law enforcement has a burden to meet, so why shouldn't the government?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resume at 217 pounds? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I start my work out and cardio exercise when I have already gained 217 pounds in my beer-full summer vacation? I think I fall into the OBESE category for my 5' 8" height and wake up ashamed of it everyday. Please suggest every possible thing.

How do I get over my nsa/casual sex encounter? [ 31 Answers ]

Hi Just feeling like a total fool and it's entirely my own fault lol. I met a guy online and entered into nsa situation with him. I honestly thought I could handle it as my circumstances make it hard to meet people and get a relationship going anyway but I miss sex so I thought this would be...

John Deere 217 lawn tractor won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn when my John Deere 217 lawn tractor just quit. I tried starting it and it does turn over but it won't start. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong. Thanks

Anyone have any experience replacing NSA filters? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently replaced an NSA filter for my whole house. It is located in the basement right near the incoming water supply. This would be the smaller filter which is in front of a large canister type filter on the main line. I have done this 3 times a year for 7 years (9 year old house) and...

Where would NSA relationship take a lady? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my friends, I've recently been very confused about whether to have a NSA relationship or not. Hope I can get some advice here from your guys or gals... Read my story first please. When I met this guy, I just came out of a 12 years relationship and Moved to Canada from an asian...

View more questions Search