Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplain john
    You have to realize that Religion, whether it be Christianity, Hindi, Buddhism, Seik, or Baha'i, is a fact and must be taught as a fact.
    It's not a fact, it's a faith.

I am even beginning to believe that because of the way that many people espouse Atheism it should almost be treated as a religion. (Italics just my own opinion)
    Since atheism is defined as the absence of religion that would be quite ironic. There is indeed a rise in atheism/agnoticism but it isn't harming anyone.

One of the problems going on in this nation right now is the fact that educators (in general) seem to have really taken the "separation of church and state" to only apply to Christianity and "in the interest of diversity" started introducing Wicca and Islam etc. to the curriculum. This tends to send the message that there is something wrong with Christianity.
    Does adding the teaching of jazz music in addition to classical music send the message that there is something wrong with classical music? Of course not. Your argument is bourne of paranoia.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 14, 2007, 11:41 PM
    [Does adding the teaching of jazz music in addition to classical music send the message that there is something wrong with classical music? Of course not. Your argument is bourne of paranoia.[/quote]

If children are told that they can not bring classical music to the school and they can not talk about classical music at school as is being done in many places with Christianity it just might possibly tend to send that message.
    Metallic Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jul 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Just to answer the other thing about school violence since they took out the Bible from schools and the long story of taking prayer and the pledge and such... Things are much worse. In the 50s the problems were chewing gum and talking during class now look though, it's 2000 and what are the problems we face today? 1 in 3 get raped, 40% children self inflict, teen pregnancy, school shootings, drug addiction... How's separation of church and state working? And why is we have problems in court with having a Bible? What about bringing a buddha you think anyone would have a problem with that? Many do it. Read mark and you'll see where the separation was predicted and how it plays into rapture. Should God/Bible time be a part of daily life? Yes if it's going to be a lifestyle to have God in all you do, church for an hour on Wed. isn't going to do it. I'm 18 and that's all my parents ever gave me and you know I wish I could go back and change it because I went through cutting and sex and drinking, could you say that would not have happened had my parents had a daily study of the Bible everyday no but I would say it would have made a big difference on my decisions in life. What my church has always believed is that the tithe (10%) applies to not only money but rather also your time and talent. What you worship is what you spend the most time thinking of and doing is it not? 10% of time is 2 and a half hours, yeah that's a lot and I wouldn't suggest spending that time with your first grader, think of it more as weight training work your way up. I don't have a devotional or anything I just open the Bible and read a few verses and make sure I know what they mean and how God is attempting to speak to me. I would suggest if not doing anything yet with your child to do that. These days when I read I read about 20 chapters a day and record the verses that speak to me but I worked my way up. It's very important to make time now while she's young and everyday because if you don't someday she won't even pray everyday much less read the Bible or go to church. God Bless I hope that wasn't too much and it helps. My heart is overflowing with things to say :)
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jul 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallic
    ... 1 in 3 get raped, 40% children self inflict ...
    Hell... where did you get those stats from? :confused: :eek:
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 10, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metallic
    ... 1 in 3 get raped, 40% children self inflict...

Hell... where did you get those stats from?

90% of stats on the internet are made up. :-)
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    Hell ... where did you get those stats from?! :confused: :eek:
    Don't question these things - you must have faith.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Here is MY problem with the Bible being taught in the schools... WHO is going to teach it? I don't want just anyone teaching my child the Word! The Bible says man in his natural state cannot perceive the things of God neither can he know them. I don't want an unbeliever teaching my child anything spiritual. Likewise, I feel certain a Muslim wouldn't want ME teaching their child Islam. I'd prefer to teach my own children. Anyone agree?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Yes, agreed - you should teach your own children, not have it taught in school.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I still think that if it were taught as an elective in high school - that it would not be a bad thing. It could be taught as a whole - a study of different religions. Or they could break it down and have different classes for different beliefs.
    I do agree that I would question "who is going to teach this?"
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Jul 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    Hell ... where did you get those stats from?! :confused: :eek:
    The rape figure may be slightly inflated but I seem to remember something in a recent article on rape that stated that one in four women in the US today have been or will be raped in their lifetime. (the statistic is as I recall from someone else's research, not my own)

The figure about self inflicting I don't quite understand but given the teen suicide rate, if the reference is to self mutilation as I suspect, the figure may not be all that inaccurate. (In this case I'm referring to information on teen suicide that I have seen in my annual training seminars as I recall it)
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
    You know, I have to wonder if all of these awful things really come from the lack of religion in our schools. Does it all stem from this? I just don't know. Part of me thinks maybe.
    I know that kids are growing up a lot faster than they did in the 50's. I also know that in the 50's - the Mom usually stayed home and didn't work outside of that home. Now, it is rare that you have one parent at home. So, could that contribute? Not having that parental support that we once had? The kids are left to fend for themselves? What effect does that have on our society - maybe the kids aren't taught the morals of life because the parents aren't home to teach them. We get so wrapped up in our own heads that we forget at the end of a long day that we are still parents and need to teach these kids something.
    dreamguy Posts: 58, Reputation: 13
    -

Jul 10, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Absolutely not. Public school is not the place to have a bible course not even as an elective. It's the responsibility of christian parents to teach their children the bible at home not a government institution.

Therefore it should be illegal to teach the bible or any religious course for that matter in public schools. Public schools are government institutions. I believe in keeping religion & government as far away from each other as possible!

The purpose of sending your kids to public school is so they can get a good education that prepares them for the workforce. Furthermore how will a course on the bible prepare students for the workforce? Employers do not care about how religious or spiritual you are. That's a personal thing.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
    If you look at the public school system in america - it is not getting the kids ready for the workforce either. It gets them ready for standardized test that get the school more money.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:20 PM
    And that's a whole other thread NW. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Hey you! I was wondering when you would chime in. :)
    -

Jul 10, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    If you look at the public school system in america - it is not getting the kids ready for the workforce either. It gets them ready for standardized test that get the school more money.

That still does not make it appropriate to teach the bible in a government institution even as an elective.

Captive audience prayer in school should be illegal too. Jesus said that prayer is a language of the heart. When you pray you are to do it silently and go to your closet.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I don't think we are talking about captive prayer in school. I think kids should be able to choose for themselves. If they are choosing it - they want to learn it - then why not?

And go to your closet? Huh?
    -

Jul 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    I don't think we are talking about captive prayer in school. I think kids should be able to choose for themselves. If they are choosing it - they want to learn it - then why not?

And go to your closet? Huh?
    I have more to say on the subject of public prayer but I'll start a new thread for that.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I know a lot of people may find this odd but I think this is a really simple question.

Teaching about bible in school is fine; teaching from the bible is not. There it is plain and simple. Many of you know my religious beliefs and even with them, I won't deny that the bible is a historically significant book. So from that point it is perfectly acceptable to teach kids about the bible when it explains how certain events happened. (Like the crusades, not Adam and Eve) If you want to force prayer in the schools that is what private schools are for and I agree that if you send your kid to private school you should get a big break on your taxes for that. Public schools already allow religious clubs that operate on school ground and when I was in high school they regularly held open prayer at the flag pole in the morning.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I don't agree with forced anything. If someone forces another to pray - then who's to say what else will be forced. I have no problem with my daughter praying to God at anytime. But, if I force the kid next to her to pray then am I opening the door for someone to force my daughter to pray to, say, Budda?
    I don't want that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible study [ 6 Answers ]

(2) What great zeal and self denial does Nehemiah, his brethren, his servants and the men of the guard which followed him show?

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search