Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    I mean, sure your a whiz at math, but you suck as a human? I think I would rather be a better person any day.
    Studying the bible (or any religious text) does not make one a better person.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 12:05 PM
    I guess, for me, the Bible is a guide book. Our instruction book on how to live. Every question we have about life and how to live in answered in the Bible.
    WillyNoodles Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Hello. I wanted to get everyone's opinion about teaching the Bible in public school.

I just received the April 2nd issue of Time Magazine and there is an article about offering an elective class centered around the Bible. The article listed some pretty interesting information about the Bible - such as: it has never left the top seller's list, it is the most translated book ever. And did you know, that Shakespeare quoted the bible over 1300 times in his work. And it is thought to be one of the best books ever written.

Some will say that the decision on God is up to their child - "let them decide" but how can they if this is never introduced as an option?

What are you thoughts? Would you object if your child chose to take this class? If so, Why? Do you think that the Bible should be in schools?
    If you are outside of the USA, what are the "rules" in your country for Church and State?

Personally, I think this was a thought provoking topic - I hope you agree!
    Well, I believe that as long as its not forcing anyone, its OK. I myself am not a religious person but the subject of religion interests me very much and that anyone who is a religious person should have the right to learn about it. Although I think that its wrong that any other religion should be excluded.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
    I guess when I think of religion - I think about all the different types. Baptist, methodist, Catholic, Etc..
    Each of these use the Bible - but each has a different take on it.
    The potential class study that prompted this question would study the bible - not the separate religions.
    And, I too, think that it would be wrong to exclude any other group.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
    I guess when I think of religion - I think about all the different types. Baptist, methodist, Catholic, Etc..
    Each of these use the Bible - but each has a different take on it.
    The potential class study that prompted this question would study the bible - not the seperate religions.
    And, I too, think that it would be wrong to exclude any other group.
    And right there is the problem -- you did not mention any religion other than those based on YOUR book. You just basically refused to acknowledge all the other religions that are out there.

That is why religion needs to stay out of schools. -- Savage
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
    I don't think we would have to drop anything. The courses discussed are possibly being offered as electives. Like Gym or Law, etc. So, can we not have both?
    Are the other religions pushing to put in schools? And it really isn't religion going into school - it a study on the Bible - not one faiths take on it.

I think if a Bible study course does make it to our schools then the other religions will want equality. Which is fine. I think offering something like this produces a more educated person. And would teaching something that can help you live your life as a better person really be that bad? I mean, sure your a whiz at math, but you suck as a human? I think I would rather be a better person any day.

To quote the article - To compare Shakespeare (which is readily available in H.S. English class) and the Bible
    1) Beauty of Language - Shakespeare by a nose
    2) Depth of subject matter - Toss up
    3) Breadth of subject matter - The Bible
    4) Numbers Published, translated, etc. - The Bible
    5) Number of people martyred for - The Bible
    6) Number of wars attributed to - The Bible
    7) Solace and hope provided to billions - The Bible

All of these things, shouldn't our youth know why people are willing to die for what is written in this book? Why it has never left the best seller list? This is a big part of history -so why should it be left out of study?
    I like your points here. The world we live in has been impacted so profoundly because of the Bible. How could there not be a class on it. I'm not saying teach doctrines from the Bible, just study its origins, authors, its influence world history, and so forth.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    And right there is the problem -- you did not mention any religion other than those based on YOUR book. You just basically refused to acknowledge all the other religions that are out there.
    Actually, I wasn't refusing to acknowledge anything or anyone. I listed 3 off the top of my head (and the churches that are in my town) just to make a point.

And, quite frankly, I AM PROUD OF "MY" BOOK!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Good Point - Do you know that in the states - over 68% of the population say they are Christian. So, does majority win?
    Hello Now:

No, the majority doesn't win - not in this country anyway.

Each one of us has rights granted under the Constitution. That's each ONE as in YOU, an individual. Even if ALL the rest of the people, and I mean ALL 3 million of them (a majority for sure), voted to remove your rights, they couldn't.

And, that's the way it should be.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
    DUKE-OF-URL disagrees: this socity was founded abased on Chrisrian beleifs
    So many problems with your comment:
    1. too many misspellings to mention - stay in school
    2. read up on the use of the commenting/reputation system in use here
    3. my society was absolutely not based on 'chrisian' values, maybe your close circle of friends but not society in general not in the US nor in Canada.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Please, Correct me if I am wrong - And I am sure you guys will.
    Wasn't the US founded by those fleeing the Catholic Church? They wanted the right to choose their religion?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 19, 2007, 07:43 AM
    The puritans came here to get away from the church of England and I am sure individuals came here due to religion on their own -- but most of the settlers came for the top god -- money -- Savage
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 19, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Well they were fleeing the Church of England, which is technically Catholic, but not to be confused with the Roman Catholic (PROPER Catholics! Lol!) Church!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
    I don't think it should be taught in schools anymore, there is too much diversity we can't please everyone! I believe in God. I would love for my beliefs to be taught in school. Only because they might teach something I forgot about or misunderstand. There are too many people that don't believe what I believe, so we are down to whether to have a class about every religion or none! I choose none, most people that are religious take care of their beliefs with their own church and family these days. I believe in the separation of church and state. When they took prayer out of school, we should have prayed twice as hard at home and let other people with different beliefs be around all of us with our beliefs without feeling like they are different in a bad way. Some people just make people feel like they are wrong when they are just a little different than them! I have never really spoken or thought about this subject for more than this small amount of time but the more I Write down the more I want to keep changing my answer. I am going to quit here and think about it longer. Who knows I might not agree with what I said in just a few minutes. Now I am completely confusing myself. Goodbye for now!
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
    I am in the uk and my daughter goes to a state school that is not linked to a church, but they do learn about the bible and christianity there. I do have issues with it as it is taught as fact at her school whether intentionally or not, my daughter perceives it as fact. I on the other hand am atheist, so try to get her to question the faith (she is only five!) I have always let my kids make up their own minds about religion, so I don't tell her it is all a load of poppycock, I just ask her to consider things a bit more. I have also tried to give her other opinions on life, through friends who are pagan, and we visit a buddhist temple from time to time, and school also teach the children the basics of hindu, muslim and sikh religions (though not in the same detail as christianity).

I think religion should not be taught as fact, I have no issue with the teaching about the bible, but it should be treated as any other book is, the works of shakespeare are not treated as an autentic look at life in the era, they are taught as stories and plays. I think the same principle should be applied to the teaching of religion. Teach about it, don't preach it, don't assume it is the truth. Let the kids make up their own minds on the sunject.

That's just my opinion!
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Although I think it would be a good thing. I don't think the Bible should be taught in public school.

1] public = tax dollars = government. 1st Amendment ".. no establishment of religion..."

2] How and who would teach the Bible? There are so many Christian denominations that differ on various doctrinal issues.

3] The Bible can be taught by parent[s], relatives, going to Church, Sunday school etc..
    I would not depend on public school to teach my children about God and Christian
    values.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 6, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Some will say that the decision on God is up to their child - "let them decide" but how can they if this is never introduced as an option?
    According to the Bible a parent has a responsibility for providing guidance in religious matters. If a parent leaves it up to the child he is being negligent.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 6, 2007, 03:15 PM
    I see nothing wrong with it. Long as its optional... people are not forced to do it. They should be able to choose.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

May 13, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiffy
    I am in the uk and my daughter goes to a state school that is not linked to a church, but they do learn about the bible and christianity there. I do have issues with it as it is taught as fact at her school whether intentionally or not, my daughter perceives it as fact. I on the other hand am atheist, so try to get her to question the faith (she is only five!) I have always let my kids make up their own minds about religion, so I dont tell her it is all a load of poppycock, I just ask her to consider things a bit more. I have also tried to give her other opinions on life, through friends who are pagan, and we visit a buddhist temple from time to time, and school also teach the children the basics of hindu, muslim and sikh religions (though not in the same detail as christianity).

I think religion should not be taught as fact, I have no issue with the teaching about the bible, but it should be treated as any other book is, the works of shakespeare are not treated as an autentic look at life in the era, they are taught as stories and plays. I think the same principle should be applied to the teaching of religion. Teach about it, dont preach it, dont assume it is the truth. Let the kids make up their own minds on the sunject.

Thats just my opinion!
    I would be very surprised to learn that the curriculum for religious education in UK schools taught anything as 'fact' except the elements of each religion and what they believe in certain areas. I have been an active participant on working parties and standing conferences for establishing such curriculum in local authories in the UK and at no time was one religion given ascendency over any other faith. Religious education operates at a deliberate, calculated , and distinct level from religious indoctrination, and presumably it is indoctrination rather than education that arouses your concern as a parent.

The UK is a good example of a multi-ethnic and multi-faith society that works very well. It is in order to build bridges of understanding between faiths and faith based communities that RE is brought to bear. It is first, foremost, and last, to provide information about what each of the major faiths believe, and to explain some of their practices, especially those that are not well known. Indoctrination in a particular faith or in none, as in your case, belongs to the home, chapel, synagogue, mosque, etc.

M:)RGANITE
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

May 14, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Squiffy
    You have to realize that Religion, whether it be Christianity, Hindi, Buddhism, Seik, or Baha'i, is a fact and must be taught as a fact. I am even beginning to believe that because of the way that many people espouse Atheism it should almost be treated as a religion. (Italics just my own opinion)

Morganite
    The curriculum you describe in the UK sounds great. If we had something like it in the US real tolerance, instead of politically correctness, might break out.

Speaking to the OP:
    A class on the Bible (as an elective and only as an elective) would probably be a good thing. As would a class on the Koran under the same conditions.

One of the problems going on in this nation right now is the fact that educators (in general) seem to have really taken the "separation of church and state" to only apply to Christianity and "in the interest of diversity" started introducing Wicca and Islam etc. to the curriculum. This tends to send the message that there is something wrong with Christianity. If diversity is really the issue why not quit excluding the belief of a large portion of our population?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 14, 2007, 06:29 AM
    It is taught in such a way that my daughter, who is five, believes every word that is said about the bible and jesus as fact. As I said whether they intend it to be taught as fact I don't know, but the way they are teaching it, at least in my daughters school, the kids are seeing it as being as true as anything else, as it is their teacher teaching it. Not enough emphasis is put on it being one theory, amongst many, or that not everyone believes in it! Religious beliefs are a fact, in that people believe in them, and so they exist, but my problem lies in it being taught to children as the truth, without any question. I love that my daughter learns about religions, it is a huge part of most peoples lives, and so society as a whole, I don't love that she is being taught to believe in it blindly and not being empowered at school to make her own decisions on what religion she wants to accept! There are very many after all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible study [ 6 Answers ]

(2) What great zeal and self denial does Nehemiah, his brethren, his servants and the men of the guard which followed him show?

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search