Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
    A/c not cooling enough
    I have a 2 story single family home , total HLA 1400-1700. I’ve lived in the house for almost 3 ½ years. The first floor has high ceilings. During the summer I can never get the temperature indoors below 20, 10, nor 5 degrees lower than the temperature outdoors. My a/c is 13 years old. My home warranty sends a tech, and each time they say it's low on freon. I've been told there are no leaks. There isn't any frost. The outside unit is functioning properly. The filters are new. The tech’s only comment, the unit must be too small. It’s still hot in here! Help! What else can be checked by the tech that might have been missed?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2013, 03:47 PM
    Sounds like size is a problem, or lack of airflow. Maybe not enough returns
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 08:56 PM
    Freon doesn't just disappear. How can it be low on freon each time but "no leaks ". What is the tonnage and does it cool better at night?

Jul 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
    [QUOTE=ma0641;3514327]Freon doesn't just disappear. How can it be low on freon each time but "no leaks ". What is the tonnage and does it cool better at night?

Tonnage is 3 tons. Never use the a/c at night. I will tonight , because a tech is coming tomorrow to check it. He has already informed me that it might need freon before he has even checked it. No surprise there!

Jul 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    sounds like size is a problem, or lack of airflow. maybe not enough returns
    I hope it's not size. As for returns... airflow, I'll be sure to question it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 01:28 PM
    As I stated before, if you need Freon every time, you have a leak. 3 tons sounds a bit low for the size of the house. 3 ton would be for about 1800-2000 sq. ft. house, average of 1 ton per 600 sq. ft. Not an exact science to get there but a start. High ceilings means you need to heat and cool a lot of cubic ft of air. Where is air handler, in the attic? A lot depends on sun loading, insulation, windows, how the house faces, where you live, ambient temp, average humidity, etc. Have a Manual J done. .
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 07:10 PM
    As ma0641 said, if you need refrigerant every time, you have a leak. Air conditioners do not consume refrigerant. It just goes from a vapor to a liquid to a vapor, over and over all within a sealed system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman AC. That was installed about 2 months ago. This unit is for the upstairs. I had someone check the temp coming out of air vents with a digital reader. It was about 72 degrees. Then we checked the unit downstairs and it read 52 degrees. Big difference. They checked the freon and it...

Central a/c unit -not cooling service man filled it with feon but still not cooling [ 7 Answers ]

I have a kenmore 3 ton 14 series unit. At night it cools good but day time it goes to 80 degrees. The compressor had a leak so the service man filled it up. Wasn't the service man suppose to change the dryer on it? The hose outside is not even cold and in the house it blows a little cool air but...

Not cooling below 80 [ 6 Answers ]

Had 4 techs come out and no one can fix the problem. My thermostat honeywell 8000 is set to 76 and the temp stays at 80 when its over 90 outside. At night and during cool days it cools perfectly fine. The coil is in great condition from what all techs have told me, filter is good, one tech did sub...

Maytag freezer is cooling... fridge is not cooling. Any suggestions? [ 0 Answers ]

Maytag refridge is not cooling (freezer is). Any suggestions or does anyone know if I need a repair person and what the problems and range of expected reasonable costs might be to have it fixed.

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

View more questions Search