Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linda Zunner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 04:35 AM
    Daughter passed away,only children left are 20 daughter and a son 14.Canbt fif
    Whom gets the vehicle that daughter owned before passing,14 yr ol 20 yr old daughter or should I file for a lost title if I am aloud.Note she had no will.My husband and I are trying to take care of funeral bill.Thank you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 23, 2013, 04:41 AM
    No. Don't file for a lost title. That would be fraud.

The car probably goes to the children. The 20-year old is of age (in the U.S.). She would be the one to take care of it.

In many places small-value personal property like this can be collected by affidavit, without the need for formal probate proceedings. What state or country are you in?

Jul 23, 2013, 04:56 AM
    OK thank you,Grandaughter 20 yr old can't find title either.What should she do?

Jul 23, 2013, 04:57 AM
    Grandaughter 20 yr old can't find title.What should she do.Can she sell it without title.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 23, 2013, 05:11 AM
    If you are in the US, you have to ask the DMV in your state. Laws vary by state regarding lost titles as well as vehicles of the deceased. You need a death certificate, possibly a copy or possibly an original (with the notary stamp). You may need a statement from the court. You might be able to find out online, "your state.gov."

In my state, it's a long and complicated process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughter left state and left 24 month old with parents [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter left the state of Florida were I live. She left her son with us until she comes back in 3 months. Is there ant chance I could file for custody of the child and win. The father is does not want custody and is OK with us going for custody

Father passed away and left my children payments from a house note he had financed. [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away this past Spring. In his will he left to my children the payments that he was receiving on a house that he toted the note for in Oklahoma. The owners pay principal and interest to me to put in a trust fund for my children to distribute to them as I choose. I have two...

My baby daughter passed away, hiding the pain. [ 11 Answers ]

On December 15, 2006 my daughter, Chloe Leigh, was born in Washington. She was by far the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. I knew from that moment on I would give my life to make sure she had the kind of life I didn't and I did everything I could to be the best dad I could be. Month after Month...

View more questions Search