Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rukia Kuchiki Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 01:54 AM
    Zoologist or Zoo keeper
    Hi
    After reading a few of the other posts and answers I wanted to know what is the difference between a zoo keeper and a zoologist? Ever since I was young I have wanted to work with tigers up close and be able to observe their nature as well as help with their population issues... I want to study tigers and other large felines but do not know what I should work towards being... a Zoologist or a Zoo keeper?
    Please help me find out what career I need to look into! And what will I need to study in school. And other things will need to help me in achieving my goals?
    Any addvice with be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You very much!
    Rukia Kuchiki
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 23, 2013, 02:55 AM
    It isn't the academic path so much as the work you do along with the studies that matter.
    Many a zoo keeper has arrived at the job through all sorts of biology degrees, or veterinary medicine, or even working their way up the job ladder, or volunteer work at a wildlife sanctuary or study. If this is what you want to do, you will get there regardless of the school and the degrees. Some even get there after careers in totally different fields, such as electronics, maybe by designing some useful equipment to study the muscles used in running and leaping, or botany and habitat studies, or global climate changes, or effects of human populations on wildlife - or just about anything. A wide variety of knowledge is helpful in any career.

Jul 26, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It isn't the academic path so much as the work you do along with the studies that matter.
    Many a zoo keeper has arrived at the job through all sorts of biology degrees, or veterinary medicine, or even working their way up the job ladder, or volunteer work at a wildlife sanctuary or study. If this is what you want to do, you will get there regardless of the school and the degrees. Some even get there after careers in totally different fields, such as electronics, maybe by designing some useful equipment to study the muscles used in running and leaping, or botany and habitat studies, or global climate changes, or effects of human populations on wildlife - or just about anything. A wide variety of knowledge is helpful in any career.
    Thank you for your help... But I was hoping for a more pin point answer... But your help is still greatly appreciated! (^-^)/ Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 27, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Then go talk to some people at zoos and also at universities in the zoology department. I think you will get the same answer.
    Any given study of animals out in the wild usually involves a team, and each person on the team is contributing skills and knowledge from different areas. None is 'better' than the other. If your dedication is there, your knowledge base will be wide anyway.
    Much of schooling in any field has less to do with how to actually work in that field than it does with discipline and methods. There's a reason why most jobs start doing very basic and often menial work, no matter how many degrees you have. Lawyers clerk, doctors intern, zoologists get to carry the equipment and set up the tents.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Jul 28, 2013, 08:10 PM
    A zookeeper takes care of animals in a zoo. I imagine a zookeeper job can be as mundane, as it can be rewarding, as you could be preparing feed or delivering babies. Click here for the website to the San Diego Zoo for a description of an animal keeper.

A zoologist studies and researches about animals. Zoology is a broad field of study. There are many types of animals from protozoa to gorillas; sea slugs to dolphins and many fields to study from physiology to taxonomy, biochemistry to sociobiology. You can get paid to research, teach or care for animals. Zoos definitely hire zoologists. Click here for the career description of a zoologist.

There are many careers available to a zoology major - zookeeper, zoologist, naturalist, warden, teacher, biologist. I majored in zoology with a primary emphasis in entomology. I was lucky enough to get a job that utilizes my education.

Sounds like you want to become a zoologist with a specialty in large cats. You will likely have to become a PhD who works for a university, zoo, the government, a preserve or park. Are you prepared to work in Africa, as large cats are primarily found there? Or you could become a technician who helps with the grunt work or data collection (PhD's generally not required). Or you could become an administrator or zoologist who helps works in a preserve or park.

Jul 30, 2013, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Then go talk to some people at zoos and also at universities in the zoology department. I think you will get the same answer.
    Any given study of animals out in the wild usually involves a team, and each person on the team is contributing skills and knowledge from different areas. None is 'better' than the other. If your dedication is there, your knowledge base will be wide anyway.
    Much of schooling in any field has less to do with how to actually work in that field than it does with discipline and methods. There's a reason why most jobs start out doing very basic and often menial work, no matter how many degrees you have. Lawyers clerk, doctors intern, zoologists get to carry the equipment and set up the tents.
    OOHHH!! Makes a lot more sense now... Thank you very much! Your help is very good!. Are you a zoologist? You seem to know a lot...

Jul 30, 2013, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Locrian_44 View Post
    A zookeeper takes care of animals in a zoo. I imagine a zookeeper job can be as mundane, as it can be rewarding, as you could be preparing feed or delivering babies. Click here for the website to the San Diego Zoo for a description of an animal keeper.

A zoologist studies and researches about animals. Zoology is a broad field of study. There are many types of animals from protozoa to gorillas; sea slugs to dolphins and many fields to study from physiology to taxonomy, biochemistry to sociobiology. You can get paid to research, teach or care for animals. Zoos definitely hire zoologists. Click here for the career description of a zoologist.

There are many careers available to a zoology major - zookeeper, zoologist, naturalist, warden, teacher, biologist. I majored in zoology with a primary emphasis in entomology. I was lucky enough to get a job that utilizes my education.

Sounds like you want to become a zoologist with a specialty in large cats. You will likely have to become a PhD who works for a university, zoo, the government, a preserve or park. Are you prepared to work in Africa, as large cats are primarily found there? Or you could become a technician who helps with the grunt work or data collection (PhD's generally not required). Or you could become an administrator or zoologist who helps works in a preserve or park.
    OMG Thank you for your help! This is exactly what I was looking for! Some others have replied but this by far has been the best! I very much appreciate your help thank you! Rukia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Store keeper [ 1 Answers ]

How to explain store keeper in an interview

I need change my position asst.time keeper to time keeper [ 1 Answers ]

My name is mohammed I am 02 years working in the xyz company as a Asst.Time keeper, I need change my job position from Asst.Time keeper To Time keeper. I need write letter to my company management about the Change my position Asst.Time keeper to Time keeper.

No clue in the zoo [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have had so much change recently Im really confused and sad. Can anyone see when I will meet the right guy and where, if I will ever have and kids and what my career looks like for me? Thanks so much, I really appreciate any help I can get Gemini??

Zoo [ 1 Answers ]

What aspects of biology am I most likely to observe in a zoo?

The Zoo [ 4 Answers ]

Why aren't insects shown at the zoo? They take up less space, are very diversified. I don't know about others but I would go to see these creatures.

View more questions Search