Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 06:41 AM
    Let me tell you ,Tom, my ire isn't alone, my countrymen are irate about this. With an election in the wind it could become that left field election issue. We weren't happy when Gillard did a deal for more contact in NT, we aren't happy about this and we aren't happy that Pine Gap is used to control drones in Pakistan. We have a saying here "not happy Jan" I'll let you work out what it means, but for Krudd it is bad news, very ill timed
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Environmentalist have been protesting Talisman Sabre since 2007.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Like I said before, it was Australia that ran everyone off and turned it into a military training ground in the 60s and has used it as such ever since. If you don't want such incidents you should have picked another site. Stop shifting the blame, your hatred for America is showing again.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Speech, you take any criticism as hatred, fact is; we don't like what you do sometimes and the way you go about doing it and we are not above saying so. I know there is a certain movement in the world that says, don't say anything negative but things have to be said, embarrassing as they maybe. We provided a military training ground long ago when exercises were much more low key and yes, for an exercise as large as this another place should have been found. Since that time the environmental movement has grown strong and between them and the aboriginals with their sacred sites it is just in the too hard basket to find another site which would provide the scope needed.

The Great Barrier Reef is a politically sensitive area, the reef is under threat because of climate change and agricultural run off and therefore is a focus for environmental action and activism
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 05:10 PM
    A. What part of joint exercise do you not get?

B. What part of this is your training ground do you not get?

C. What part of don't blame us for your having a military training ground in a sensitive area don't you get?

You need to accept some responsibility here. It was a mutual exercise and your bombing range wasn't clear in spite of repeated attempts. They had no choice, dude, it was that or crash. Which would you prefer?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
    What I would like to know is why was ordinance been carried in a marine park and a world heritage area irrespective of their destination

What part of world heritage area don't you get?

What part of marine park don't you get?

How about we fly over Yellowstone and drop some ordinance on it?

Take some responsibility for insensitive and irresponsible actions, we are not in control of your planes, I get the joint part that means your forces and our forces are taking part
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    what I would like to know is why was ordinance been carried in a marine park and a world heritage area irrespective of their destination

what part of world heritage area don't you get?

what part of marine park don't you get?

How about we fly over Yellowstone and drop some ordinance on it?

Take some responsibility for insensitive and irresponsible actions, we are not in control of your planes, I get the joint part that means your forces and our forces are taking part
    Dude, we took responsibility and will retrieve the ordnance, but don't b*tch at us for your putting this world heritage site in harm's way. Take some responsibility yourself, it is your country that located a military training ground in the Great Barrier Reef. If we had turned Yellowstone into a military training ground I would expect an incident, but we didn't do that like you did with Shoalwater Bay, which in itself is insensitive and irresponsible.

Shoalwater Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 05:36 AM
    Speech let's try to keep to facts not provided by wikipedia. Shoalwater Bay is not actually on the reef even though it is part of the marine park because the marine park was declared long after the area was designated for military use. It is an area behind a peninsula, probably the reason it was chosen in the first place. Just as in your own administration our military seems to do it's own thing irrespective of what anyoneelse is doing but we come back to the fact a different dump site could have been chosen. As I understand it an STOL aircroft is not restricted as to where it can land so let's just settle for red faces all round. Please be more careful in future
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 06:16 AM
    speech let's try to keep to facts not provided by wikipedia. Shoalwater Bay is not actually on the reef even though it is part of the marine park because the marine park was declared long after the area was designated for military use. It is an area behind a peninsula, probably the reason it was chosen in the first place. Just as in your own administration our military seems to do it's own thing irrespective of what anyoneelse is doing but we come back to the fact a different dump site could have been chosen. As I understand it an STOL aircroft is not restricted as to where it can land so let's just settle for red faces all round. Please be more careful in future
    As long as your face is red, too. It's not all on us.

More details.

The US Navy says it may try to salvage four unarmed bombs dropped by fighter jets into Australia's Great Barrier Reef marine park last week when a training exercise went wrong.

The two AV-8B Harrier jets, launched from the aircraft carrier USS Bonhomme Richard, each jettisoned an inert practice bomb and an unarmed laser-guided explosive bomb into the World Heritage-listed marine park off the coast of Queensland on Tuesday, the US 7th Fleet said in a statement on Saturday.

The four bombs, weighing a total 1.8 metric tons (4,000 pounds), were dropped into more than 50 metres (164ft) of water, away from coral, to minimise possible damage to the reef, the statement said. None exploded.

The Great Barrier Reef marine park authority said in a statement that identifying options for the "rapid recovery" of the bombs so that they could pose no risk to the marine park was "a high priority". But the authority also said the ordnances posed a "low risk to the marine environment".

US 7th Fleet spokesman Lieutenant David Levy said on Monday the Navy was reviewing the possibility of retrieving the ordnances in consultation with Australian authorities.

"If the park service and the government agencies of Australia determine that they want those recovered, then we will co-ordinate with them on that recovery process," Levy said in an email.

The jets, from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, had intended to drop the ordnances on the Townshend Island bombing range, but aborted the mission when controllers reported the area was not clear of hazards.

"It was not safe to drop the bombs. There were civilian boats right below them," fleet commander William Marks told Australian ABC radio on Monday.

The pilots conducted the emergency jettison because they were low on fuel and could not land with their bomb load, the Navy said.

"The Harriers... needed to get back to the ship, and so they conducted an emergency jettison," Marks said.
    So, my question goes back my original premise, why wasn't the area clear? Your country knew what was going on, why didn't they clear the area of civilian boats?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    As long as your face is red, too. It's not all on us.

More details.

So, my question goes back my original premise, why wasn't the area clear? Your country knew what was going on, why didn't they clear the area of civilian boats?
    I don't know what not clear means but it is a marine park and the reef is a recreational area as well as containing marine passages for international shipping the range is at the end of the peninsula. What your are saying is like why don't you keep the Florida Keys clear of civilian boats what is it with the US navy and coral reefs I see the navy is removing more of its junk carelessly deposited on another coral reef
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 05:16 PM
    I don't know what not clear means but it is a marine park and the reef is a recreational area as well as containing marine passages for international shipping the range is at the end of the peninsula. what your are saying is like why don't you keep the Florida Keys clear of civilian boats what is it with the US navy and coral reefs I see the navy is removing more of its junk carelessly deposited on another coral reef
    As far as I know we haven't turned the Florida Keys into a bombing range. It's not complicated.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2013, 05:26 PM
    As far as I know we haven't turned the Florida Keys into a bombing range. It's not complicated.
    Well perhaps if you did rather than coming half way round the world to practice dropping bombs we wouldn't be having this conversation. It seems no matter where you go you stir up controversy. You see I happen to see the issue as uncomplicated too, carry enough fuel and stay out of the reservation why couldn't you drop the bombs next to your ship before landing or was your warship in the world heritage area too
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 05:06 AM
    well perhaps if you did rather than coming half way round the world to practice dropping bombs we wouldn't be having this conversation. It seems no matter where you go you stir up controversy. you see I happen to see the issue as uncomplicated too, carry enough fuel and stay out of the reservation why couldn't you drop the bombs next to your ship before landing or was your warship in the world heritage area too
    Not much on physics, logic and the concept of joint exercises, eh?
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 06:37 AM
    I expect maximum care good order and a proper command structure
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 06:44 AM
    And you honestly think they were just being careless? Uh, no.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 06:53 AM
    We hear of too many friendly fire incidents to think otherwise
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
    I give up, have fun with your bombs.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Jul 23, 2013, 09:15 AM
    I don't think it was a mistake... may be a calculated mistake.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
    FYI...

Green groups have reacted angrily to the emergency although the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority said it was not too concerned about the bombs.

Admiral Swift said there was risk associated with everything.

"There is also risk associated with not training a military force.''

The 100,000 tonne USS George Washington will operate in the Coral Sea until July 29 when she will spend five days in Brisbane where her 5500-strong crew will spend millions of dollars.

Read more: Mine warfare ship to be deployed to Great Barrier Reef to hunt bombs dropped by US Marine Harriers | News.com.au
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
    FYI...
    Yes you think millions of dollars answers everything but in reality we don't need your money or your visit. Please don't get your aircraft carrier stuck in the Brisbane River, I hear things are a little tight in there for large ships

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anybody (AND I MEAN ANYBODY) make me care for a brother who is in a care home? [ 4 Answers ]

The powers of attorney over my brother have admitted him to a care home because, he cannot care for himself any longer. Can the POAs make a sibling pay for the care? They admitted him without telling me and they signed the agreement with the care home.

Splitting Payments for child care - do I pay directly to ex wife or day care? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have been separated, but not legally; yet. Payments for child care come from her paycheck. I pay her half in a check at the beginning of each month. What is the best choice for tax purposes - to continue paying her half at the beginning of each month, or to begin paying the child's...

Why doesn't the courts care about the kids but only care about the exs [ 7 Answers ]

My ex lives at home with her mother brother and father and her two kids .one of them being mine . She can not work she can not drive she doesn't bathe or feed the kids cps goes over there once a week and says everything is fine what should I do . The courts don't care as long as they get there...

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

View more questions Search