Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    booboo77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Water staining clothing
    I noticed that after doing a load of laundry that the clothes were stained with greyish blotches. Had the machine thoroughly checked and nothing wrong with it (only 5 years old). Repairman didn't even know what the stains were or where they came from. Did a second test by putting a towel in a pot of water for a few hours and the towel came out stained. Is there something wrong with my water. I have soft water. This only started to happen a month ago and have been in the house for 40 years. Have not changed detergents or done anything differently from what I have been doing.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 06:52 PM
    City or well water? Water softeners only remove calcium and magnesium. You may have iron oxide or other metallic elements in the water.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 06:56 PM
    That happens to me when I do a load after greasy work clothes, but then you wouldn't be getting that from a sink as well if it was greasy work clothes.

Jul 19, 2013, 08:08 AM
    It's city water, which is already soft water. Is there any way to get rid of the elements in the water? Is it something to do with the pipes maybe going bad? Obviously something just recently happened because I never had this problem before.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2013, 08:12 AM
    If neighbors aren't having problems then it probably is your pipes. Running your washing machine empty with baking soda and bleach or vinegar will only clean the machine out, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

Jul 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Thanks. I appreciate your input. I was thinking about asking the neighbors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tea staining [ 10 Answers ]

If I stained an item (probably cotton) with tea would I be able to wash it out? Or would it always be a bit dingy after that? Strange question I know but I'm making a Halloween costume and I want to know whether the item has to be sacrificed. Red food colouring definitely wouldn't come out would...

Blue-green water staining [ 4 Answers ]

There is a marked Blue-green stain that develops in the shower stall, less so in the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I'm assuming it is a reaction triggered by the hot water. I'm also asking not just because it requires more cleaning, but my hairdresser says that it also creates a layer on my hair!...

View more questions Search