Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teddykowalski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
    10hp Sears riding mower won't idle
    I bought a used Craftsman (Sears) 10hp riding mower (model 502 255050) and it only runs at high throttle settings and backfires a bit. Everything else works and it does go at this throttle setting, but not comfortably. Clutch tricky to let out at this speed. (lifts front wheels)

I think the gas in it is old. It probably needs a new sparkplug, air filter and oil change.

Sears still sells the parts, but I haven't been able to locate an owner's manual.

What is the first place to look to cure this problem and what is the correct plug gap?

Any help will be appreciated.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 25, 2007, 09:05 PM
    I would do just as you said, replace fuel (probably water in it) replace plug, air filter and oil. Should help greatley, not sure on plug gap check with the parts store.

Don
    Hartford59 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Replace the gas, there is probably water in it. Clean the plug and get the right gap.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 05:43 AM
    And while you are doing all this, remove the carb's float bowl and clean it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique Riding Mower? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I bought an old Montgomery Wards riding mower at an auction the other day, but I don't know what kind it is, the name was painted over. It is a Model ZYJ 48A. Does anyone know anything about it?

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Sears Lawn Riding Mower [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone ever had a problem with a Sears riding mower blade disengagement?

I need help with my riding mower. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bolens model 660 riding mower. It's 4 years old. Last week I tried starting it but had problems. It sounded like the battery was dead, so I went buy a brand new one. Hooked it up and now it does absolutely nothing and it is stuck in gear. I cannot get it in neutral for some reason. So this...

Sears mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

Hello any chance you would be able to tell us if a 54" sears mower deck would fit under our sears mower 917.250261 (it has a 50" now and the 20 HP kohler) I realise that the 54" is generally under the larger kohler (25 HP I think). there is this 54 " available and we would like to try it but...

View more questions Search